Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-11-2017, 10:11 PM   #21
chandley

Default Re: DF nymphs in banestorm

I don't know. Diplomacy via letters, spells that transmit only voice, etc completely negate the advantages (Charisma can have some effect through a voice only spell, though Social Engineering reduces it). It is RAW that Appearance that high causes problems (jealousy causing negative reactions instead of positive ones being one of them!). Sans Empathy, the Indomitable are completely immune (and would make those who are Indomitable, which is NOT a supernatural trait, valuable as diplomats regardless of target race).

A politically aspiring Nymph can sway the masses certainly, Joan of Arc style, but opponents with wealth and status can match the Nymphs basic bonuses (especially on Yrth, with it's many feudal and autocratic regimes), especially if they have some measure of appearance and charisma themselves! Canny political opponents can use propaganda to gin up negative reputations to stack on Intolerance if they really need to fight dirty.

And as it has been mentioned, the Reaction table is not a straight jacket, to be followed slavishly.

Really though, rare, often bound to a terrain feature in a remote location is probably enough to explain a lack of "global" influence for Nymphs on Yrth. And it is RAW that DF nymphs are rare errant types, not the bulk of the race.

As for other "social" races, elves by default are that, with racial good appearance. Nymphs simply take it to an extreme. Gnomes and Halflings (with access to Social Regard and Honest Face) are not half bad either.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:46 AM   #22
draxdeveloper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post
I don't know. Diplomacy via letters, spells that transmit only voice, etc completely negate the advantages (Charisma can have some effect through a voice only spell, though Social Engineering reduces it). It is RAW that Appearance that high causes problems (jealousy causing negative reactions instead of positive ones being one of them!). Sans Empathy, the Indomitable are completely immune (and would make those who are Indomitable, which is NOT a supernatural trait, valuable as diplomats regardless of target race).

A politically aspiring Nymph can sway the masses certainly, Joan of Arc style, but opponents with wealth and status can match the Nymphs basic bonuses (especially on Yrth, with it's many feudal and autocratic regimes), especially if they have some measure of appearance and charisma themselves! Canny political opponents can use propaganda to gin up negative reputations to stack on Intolerance if they really need to fight dirty.

And as it has been mentioned, the Reaction table is not a straight jacket, to be followed slavishly.

Really though, rare, often bound to a terrain feature in a remote location is probably enough to explain a lack of "global" influence for Nymphs on Yrth. And it is RAW that DF nymphs are rare errant types, not the bulk of the race.

As for other "social" races, elves by default are that, with racial good appearance. Nymphs simply take it to an extreme. Gnomes and Halflings (with access to Social Regard and Honest Face) are not half bad either.
Yeah, elfs are fine but i can have a human with the same appearance, is not a exotic or supernatural advantage
draxdeveloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:12 AM   #23
chandley

Quote:
Originally Posted by draxdeveloper View Post
Yeah, elfs are fine but i can have a human with the same appearance, is not a exotic or supernatural advantage
I'd say vampires, but Yrth vampires are a strange sort. But for supernatural/mind control related social ability, Vampires would be the very next thing to leap into mind after Nymphs.

Succubi, if you don't build them as demonic nymphs but instead give them mind control. Or if you build them as demonic nymphs AND give them mind control... Half-celestials or celestials. Not much else unless you just decide to create something on your own. Asari banestormed in from Mass Effect? :)
Old 12-12-2017, 08:32 AM   #24
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post
Asari banestormed in from Mass Effect? :)
Pft! Don't accept cheap knock-offs and pretenders. Take the original ones - the Syreen - instead.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:38 AM   #25
chandley

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Pft! Don't accept cheap knock-offs and pretenders. Take the original ones - the Syreen - instead.
Hah! How could I forget!

Also, I suppose actual fantasy Sirens...
Old 12-12-2017, 09:41 AM   #26
AlexanderHowl

You do not need any nonhumans to achieve absurd levels of Reaction in Yrth. Just have a human Duchess (Status 6 and Multimillionaire 2) with Allure 4, Appearance (Very Beautiful), Charisma 5, Reputation+4 (Advocate for Women, Women Only) and Voice and you have a character that possesses a +13 with women and a +17 with men. If she possesses any ambition and intelligence, she will probably be the most powerful person in her nation.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:47 AM   #27
naloth

One of my first characters was a time traveling cult leader that had what bonuses you could buy (Charisma, Voice, Appearance, Diplomacy/other social skills) in 3rd. He didn't have many other talents, but he was almost universally liked and could manipulate situations (and people) very well...

It can be fun but if the rest of the party is combat oriented, you'll either be relegated out of the action or push them aside while you are the center of attention.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:00 AM   #28
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
You do not need any nonhumans to achieve absurd levels of Reaction in Yrth. Just have a human Duchess (Status 6 and Multimillionaire 2) with Allure 4, Appearance (Very Beautiful), Charisma 5, Reputation+4 (Advocate for Women, Women Only) and Voice and you have a character that possesses a +13 with women and a +17 with men. If she possesses any ambition and intelligence, she will probably be the most powerful person in her nation.
Charisma 5 is, if not outright over the top, really pushing it on a human I would think.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:00 PM   #29
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

One of my first GURPS characters was an exiled horse nomad prince with a bunch of social advantages, and I found it really frustrating because the GM never rolled NPC reactions.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:28 PM   #30
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
One of my first GURPS characters was an exiled horse nomad prince with a bunch of social advantages, and I found it really frustrating because the GM never rolled NPC reactions.
Reaction bonuses are worth their cost just for the bonus to influence rolls, it's basically a 6 skill talent.