Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-05-2017, 08:08 AM   #1
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default A Setting For an Information Elemental

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
... But the part of a dragon, or a fallen angel with six arms, or an information elemental, is played by a human being; I have to set aside the person I'm seeing and envision what the character looks like....
I'm curious what sort of a setting an information elemental would actually live in. Everything that comes to mind for me ends up being very bland, very kitchen-sink-ish, or produces something better described as a spirit.

what sort of setting does one find an information elemental in?

This is not aimed at anyone in particular.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:09 AM   #2
JanMikal

Default Re: A Setting For an Information Elemental

A library. Almost certainly. Or perhaps it would be a non-solid energy sprite living in cyberspace.
JanMikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:38 AM   #3
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Bob the Skull is the first thing that comes to mind when you tall about information elemental, when the skull is an enchanted "shelter" to protect the memory spirit during the day

Another location one might be drawn to on the mortal plane would be a news room

Last edited by roguebfl; 12-05-2017 at 11:54 AM. Reason: spelling
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:41 AM   #4
whswhs

Well, this was a superhero campaign, so we were kind of freeform about what it could do. But basically it could inhabit electronic information processing devices, control them, and reshape them. It had to be *electronic*: No jumping into neurons, DNA, or print.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:24 AM   #5
Badmash

Maybe it's a web spider that became self-aware?
Badmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:27 AM   #6
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Bob the Skull is the first thing that comes to mind when you tall about information elemental, when the skull is an enchanted "shelter" to protect the memory spirit during the day
Perhaps I'm splitting hairs here, but Bob always come across as a spirit rather than as an elemental. In many ways he's composed of knowledge, but he doesn't seem to have any more control of it than anyone else,. I would expect an information elemental to be more physically tied to information and to have more control of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Well, this was a superhero campaign, so we were kind of freeform about what it could do. But basically it could inhabit electronic information processing devices, control them, and reshape them. It had to be *electronic*: No jumping into neurons, DNA, or print.
Superhero campaign. I thought it might be something like that. Good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmash View Post
Maybe it's a web spider that became self-aware?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanMikal View Post
A library. Almost certainly. Or perhaps it would be a non-solid energy sprite living in cyberspace.
Quote:
Another location one might be drawn to on the mortal plane would be a news room
I suppose I was asking more about the metaphysics of a world that had information elementals. If information forms elementals, then what else forms elementals. Does that mean magic is common? what kind of magic? information Elementals call up visions of computers, but if you've got digital technology and enough magic that elementals form spontaneously, what kind of a world are you living in?

The images of the places they arrive and hang out is strangely helpful in visualizing the creatures though.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:14 AM   #7
AlexanderHowl

Yes, a spirit of information makes much more conceptual sense than an element of information (elements generally refer to concrete rather than abstract phenomena). While you might have a paper elemental relating to books or a light elemental relating to the internet (almost no form of information storage or transmission is electrical except for old fashion landlines, most of which have been replaced by optical fibers in the developed world), they would not be generic information elementals, just elementals whose realm contains forms of information storage and transmission.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:56 AM   #8
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Perhaps I'm splitting hairs here, but Bob always come across as a spirit rather than as an elemental. In many ways he's composed of knowledge, but he doesn't seem to have any more control of it than anyone else,. I would expect an information elemental to be more physically tied to information and to have more control of it.
There is also the Archive that resides in Ivy
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:06 PM   #9
Refplace

The Akhashic Library or a plane of knowledge with crystals and images. Perhaps a dreamscape type place.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:30 PM   #10
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Yes, a spirit of information makes much more conceptual sense than an element of information (elements generally refer to concrete rather than abstract phenomena). While you might have a paper elemental relating to books or a light elemental relating to the internet (almost no form of information storage or transmission is electrical except for old fashion landlines, most of which have been replaced by optical fibers in the developed world), they would not be generic information elementals, just elementals whose realm contains forms of information storage and transmission.
In comics, the word "elemental" is used loosely. Consider Swamp Thing, for example. Really he's a vegetation deity, more or less, but DC called him an "elemental."

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote