Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 02:39 PM   #111
Alonsua
Banned

Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
The Democratic and Republican Parties would use their influence over state governments to get the Genesis Party blocked from the ballot...
How are they supposed to block it from the ballot?
Old 01-11-2019, 02:41 PM   #112
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Actually, not in the United States. We have this thing called the Supreme Court.
This is what I can say:

Quote:
Congress has the authority to enact, change, or repeal federal law. A law can be repealed by getting fifty one percent of both houses of congress to pass legislation repealing it, and a president who won’t veto the repeal.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:46 PM   #113
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
So what is your actual approach?
I think it is very plausible to get new candidates in the political ecosystem. Isnt it?

Quote:
Podemos (Spanish: [poˈšemos], translated in English as "We can") is a political party in Spain founded in March 2014... Podemos is the second largest political party in Spain by number of members... It became the third largest party within the first 20 days it allowed membership, with 100,000 signing up in that period and its membership grew to more than 487,000... In the 2014 European Parliament elections on 25 May 2014, Podemos received 7.98% of the national vote... At the elections for the national parliament on 20 December 2015, Podemos received 21% of the vote and became the third largest party in the parliament, with 69 out of 350 seats...
Old 01-11-2019, 02:48 PM   #114
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
How are [Democrat and Republican parties] supposed to block it from the ballot?
You said it yourself: "... with the political system taken over by puppets Genesis will be able to enact and revoke laws according to its needs."

Who do you think currently controls the political system?

Quote:
I think it is very plausible to get new candidates in the political ecosystem. Isnt it?
That seems like a complete non sequitur to the rules related question whswhs asked you.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:50 PM   #115
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Of course none of that is going to address the (im)plausibility of the history, scale, strategy, corporate structure, business plan, or hopes for secrecy of Genesis in the first place. Actually, I can't really see what this political game is supposed to achieve at all, and never mind that spending money is not the sole determinant of election success.
Winning the lawsuit for monopolistic practices is a good start. Change a few laws here and there so Genesis do not have to do step-by-step manuals about its products as well. And everything can happily end with the support of the United States for the creation of a new nation in Antarctica.

Last edited by Alonsua; 01-11-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:54 PM   #116
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
You said it yourself: "... with the political system taken over by puppets Genesis will be able to enact and revoke laws according to its needs."
What does that mean? Are they supposed to change the constitution? To block 70% of the votes? Will this be possible realistically without risking civil war?
Old 01-11-2019, 02:58 PM   #117
Donny Brook

Quote:
Winning the lawsuit for monopolistic practices is a good start. Change a few laws here and there so Genesis do not have to do step-by-step manuals about its products as well.
But that's not the start.

The start is getting the resources to become capable of any of those things in the first place. (For example, see my previous questions.)

(BTW, even if it were conceivable to take over the U.S. government and get away with turning it into the United Slaves of Genesis, that still leaves out the whole REST of the world.)

Quote:
What does that mean? Are they supposed to change the constitution? To block 70% of the votes? Will this be possible realistically without risking civil war?
You appear to think that when Genesis controls the government it can do whatever it wants. I am pointing out to you that the Dems and Reps DO control the government now.
Goose meet Gander.

Last edited by Donny Brook; 01-11-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:58 PM   #118
mlangsdorf

Quote:
How are they supposed to block it from the ballot?
US Federal election laws are specifically engineering to make it highly illegal for a corporation to donate $2 billion to any one presidential candidate. And if you think you've got some clever way around it, other clever people have already thought about that scheme and made it illegal.

The only real exception to that rule is a senior member of the corporate hierarchy taking his personal fortune and spending it to run, which is completely legal. But it has to actually be her money that she has paid taxes on and could use for something else. Any compensation by the corporation would be highly illegal.

Separately, the US uses dozens of wildly differing systems for getting on the ballot for each elected office. It is not trivial and it has taken the minority parties like the Greens and the Libertarians multiple elections to figure out the process. Your hypothetical corporation can't just buy that knowledge.

Finally, since the goal of the corporation is to buy off the US government so as to get the anti-trust laws changed so it can merge with multiple other corporations and become large enough to buy off the US government, it looks like the proposed method for solving the problem requires that the problem be solved first.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:00 PM   #119
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Actually, not in the United States. We have this thing called the Supreme Court.
This is what I can say:

Quote:
According to federal statute, the Supreme Court normally consists of the Chief Justice of the United States and eight associate justices who are nominated by the President and confirmed by the Senate.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:04 PM   #120
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
You appear to think that when Genesis controls the government it can do whatever it wants. I am pointing out to you that the Dems and Reps DO control the government now.
Goose meet Gander.
Not at all. They will just put down the Federal Trade Commission Act of 1914 and the Clayton Antitrust Act of 1914 to start with.
Closed Thread