Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 11-30-2017, 07:40 PM   #11
Radagan

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Companion PDF

No worries. Thank you. The marketing folks should stress less: I'll be buying it either way, and I suspect most other fans will as well. So, it's one click or three to me. No dramas.

The only way they would irritate me is if they trickle them out over months--that would be really annoying! Let's get all the core goodies out there. While the adventure isn't core, Magic Items and Traps are a big boon when your players are used to D&D.

I'm really excited about using DFRPG as a way of getting players to give a GURPS based system a try. While far from your first stand alone, it has broad appeal. You guys have done a great job! And the balance between "this is it's own game" and "but it's still GURPS" is a delight. As some of the older Aussies say here, "Bonza!"
Radagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:13 AM   #12
Radagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
... I can, however, ask those who know more in the hope of getting you a better answer.
Any update from the Secret Masters of Marketing?
Old 12-22-2017, 03:38 AM   #13
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radagan View Post
Any update from the Secret Masters of Marketing?
We're closed until January. We have no immediate plans to release the title as a PDF.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 07:12 AM   #14
zuljita

That's somewhat frustrating. The Automatic dungeon generator references the trap book frequently and I've had more than one person ask me where they could buy the PDF of said traps book.

I don't care if you release it as just the smaller sub volumes or as one larger book, but I'd really hope to see it sold somehow.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:40 AM   #15
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuljita View Post

I don't care if you release it as just the smaller sub volumes or as one larger book, but I'd really hope to see it sold somehow.
Phil was referring to the Dungeon Fantasy Companion, in the title of the thread. We have no immediate plans to release that. Rest assured that Dungeon Fantasy: Against the Rat-Men, Dungeon Fantasy Magic Items, and Dungeon Fantasy Traps all have release dates as individual PDFs in 2018 . . . we're just not sharing the dates yet.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:21 AM   #16
zuljita

oh, good. thanks!
Old 12-22-2017, 01:14 PM   #17
Radagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Phil was referring to the Dungeon Fantasy Companion, in the title of the thread. We have no immediate plans to release that. Rest assured that Dungeon Fantasy: Against the Rat-Men, Dungeon Fantasy Magic Items, and Dungeon Fantasy Traps all have release dates as individual PDFs in 2018 . . . we're just not sharing the dates yet.
Kromm, thank you for the clarification. Phil's reply was... Anyway, if it has something to do with punishing all of us that didn't join the Kickstarter, well then, I'm okay with that. But if not... At least get the two core pdfs out there: Magic Items and Traps.

The fun of DFRPG for me is that it's not a GURPS toolkit, at least not firstly: it's a game I can pickup and just play. Everyone get's tired of being creative sometimes. From a GURPS perspective, I can see how these pdfs could be seen as "extras" or "nice to have" add-ons of marginal importance and priority, maybe even meant as pedagogical examples. But that's GURPS thinking! If your goal is Dungeon Fantasy "right here, right now", then I would argue they are core to the genre. Heck, Traps and Magic Items figured prominently in the 1st Edition DMG and every edition since.

There's no way I'm POD printing my DFRPG stuff until I can slot those in. My DF pdfs will just have to sit in a dark corner of my hard drive, waiting to get played sometime in the future when some marketing guru stops sitting on the goods.

Sorry, but that all seems really silly to me as a longtime customer. It's not like you need more time to get the product up to SJGame's very high standard, which I would applaud--you have them already... And you guys are in no danger of flooding the market. Come on, this game's direct competitor is WotC?!? 8^)
Old 12-22-2017, 01:47 PM   #18
Bruno

Quote:
And you guys are in no danger of flooding the market. Come on, this game's direct competitor is WotC?!? 8^)
Wrong market. The market is "People who already bought the DFRPG, and some of the GURPS people", and what you're competing with is "everything else you release for that market this month".

This is a small group of people with limited individual budgets; spacing releases means you aren't asking people to choose one of three PDFs to buy this month.
Further, when people don't buy something immediately, they really don't tend to rush out and get it next month when their mad money refreshes, because by then something else NEW and SHINY has attracted their attention, even though it's less than 30 days newer.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:02 PM   #19
zuljita

Quote:
There's no way I'm POD printing my DFRPG stuff until I can slot those in. My DF pdfs will just have to sit in a dark corner of my hard drive, waiting to get played sometime in the future when some marketing guru stops sitting on the goods.
I have the books in question from the kickstarter, and while they are quite good, I think you'll be okay with just the boxed set for a while. Magic Items is an enhancement of what already exists between Adventurers, Exploits and Spells, all of which contain magical items you can drop into your campaign. As for Traps, you can do pretty well with just the one pyramid article from 3/60. I'd not wait on account of those books. The boxed set is quite playable without them.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:28 PM   #20
Radagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Wrong market. The market is "People who already bought the DFRPG, and some of the GURPS people", and what you're competing with is "everything else you release for that market this month".

This is a small group of people with limited individual budgets; spacing releases means you aren't asking people to choose one of three PDFs to buy this month.
Further, when people don't buy something immediately, they really don't tend to rush out and get it next month when their mad money refreshes, because by then something else NEW and SHINY has attracted their attention, even though it's less than 30 days newer.
If the product were Munchkin, I would agree with you. But GURPS? Nope. I end up buying it all eventually. There just isn't that much published for it, and the quality of the content that is published is very high. In this case DFRPG is up against a Titan... and this is December... DFRPG could use all the new releases it can get. Magic, Traps, and a module are topics most players of a fantasy rpg would jump at. The diehards will buy them immediately, and the others? Well, if they are playing DFRPG what other content choices do they have? Play something else? Maybe. But having them out there shows support for the product line beyond initial release--it's good to have things for them to want. Anyway, those are my thoughts.