Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-25-2014, 01:52 PM   #1
Arandmoor

Default Close Combat: What to have and what to watch out for

We're starting a new game (TL3) and I wanted to try a character who specialized in sneaking around and grappling people to death.

As per the title, what should I double-check to make sure I can do?

What should make me turn around and run away if I see it?

So far I've been looking at high Judo and Stealth, with Knives for backup in case the thing doesn't have a neck and crossbow for range.
Arandmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:11 PM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: Close Combat: What to have and what to watch out for

First off, figure out if you'll be using the Basic Set grappling rules or Technical Grappling. After that, you'll want to make certain you have a fairly high effective ST to insure your targets can't break free. Wrestling is actually better than Judo for what you're looking for (costs less and gives you a better skill-based ST bonus) - take Judo if you intend to get into a lot of straight-up fights (where its defensive abilities - and unique ability to throw if using Basic Set - make it more useful). You may want to invest in Targeted Attack (Neck) for whatever grappling skill you opt for, and Choke Hold is probably a must. Neck Snap may be worth investing in (swing crushing to the Neck), although Choke Hold + Judo Throw from Lock will result in comparable damage. You may also want to invest in Garrote - it's an Easy skill and the weapon is cheap, of negligible weight, and easily concealed (unfortunately, wire garrotes are TL 4, but rope garrotes will be available and easy to improvise). Finally, you'll want at least one decent melee weapon skill (knife will do in a pinch, but something with Reach may be preferable) and an unarmed striking skill for when you get into a fight where grappling is a poor option (say, if you're outnumbered).
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:17 PM   #3
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Grab-and-Smash (or -Stab) might be a good idea.

Investing in Power Grappling is a must if you go the Judo route and bring Judo to DX+2 or higher.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:20 PM   #4
McAllister

I'm not sure about Knives: if it doesn't have a neck, it probably doesn't have vitals, and if it doesn't have either, your skill with a backup weapon is probably not good enough to get an eye shot... I'm thinking it doesn't add much: be strong and try to pin the tougher beasties for your friends to deal with. Throwing knives, now, there's an opportunity.

Are you using Technical Grappling, Martial Arts or just core?

Varyon's advice is solid. You don't need to be a finesse-based fighter to be sneaky: just buy a good deal of ST and Stealth and ruin peoples' lives. You'll want something longer than a knife to parry with for when you're outnumbered.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:28 PM   #5
Arandmoor

We're using Martial Arts. I've got the PDF but I just picked it up and haven't had time to go through it yet.

In a similar vein, is there a way to approximate a "back-stab" maneuver from other games? Would it be a called shot to the vitals or spine from behind or something?

Also, can you technique called-shots to counter the penalties?

Also I was looking at judo because it seems to have more combat options than wrestling, and I like not getting a penalty when I have to parry weapons.

Last edited by Arandmoor; 09-25-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #6
Ulzgoroth

Unless you intend to only engage from surprise, you need measures to make trying to grab armed opponents who can parry less painful. Arm protection, a way to temporarily make their weapon unavailable, or a really good feint are all possibilities.

Being outnumbered, as has been suggested, is even more deadly for a grappler than it usually is, because grapples take longer to take the target out of the fight and limit your maneuvering while you're doing it.

Tangential to the close combat, but don't forget to have a plan for what to do if you find yourself in a long range engagement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
Varyon's advice is solid. You don't need to be a finesse-based fighter to be sneaky: just buy a good deal of ST and Stealth and ruin peoples' lives. You'll want something longer than a knife to parry with for when you're outnumbered.
If you like Knife skill, and a close fighter probably does, a Long Knife falls under that skill but is big enough to be a reasonably satisfactory weapon for parrying and striking.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #7
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arandmoor View Post
In a similar vein, is there a way to approximate a "back-stab" maneuver from other games? Would it be a called shot to the vitals or spine from behind or something?
Vitals, mostly. Spine is an option but usually not the best one. Back of the skull is good if you've got a solid enough strike and there's no helmet in the way. Against armored targets the neck is often a good choice.

Martial Arts introduces the Telegraphic Attack option, letting you get a substantial attack bonus in exchange for giving the target a bonus to defend. The trick is, a bonus to defend doesn't matter if they aren't allowed to defend at all.

If you're backstabbing someone who is alone and doesn't know they're in a fight, you probably want to use that on an All Out Attack to push as hard as possible for ending the fight before the target knows it ever started. (And even if they don't drop in one hit, as long as they're surprised they won't be able to hit back right away.)
Quote:
Yes, that's in Martial Arts.
Quote:
Also I was looking at judo because it seems to have more combat options than wrestling, and I like not getting a penalty when I have to parry weapons.
Wrestling has some moves Judo doesn't, and is a level easier while avoiding some penalties. But Judo is nice, and the Judo throw is probably the best 'grappling' move for an outnumered fighter.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:48 PM   #8
Arandmoor

Yeah, I hadn't planned to grapple anyone while their buddies just sat there and watched. If I had to the idea was to try and pull some Sam Fisher dirt-baggery, like grabbing someone from behind and dragging them into the shadows.

I was hoping there would be a way to pull off the classic scene where all you see is a pair of hands come out of a dark recess and some dude just disappears with his buddies none the wiser until it's way too late.

Sure, it might be tough, but if it's possible I want to make sure I've got all the necessary tools.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:50 PM   #9
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Take as many levels of Dirty Fighting as you can get away with.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:53 PM   #10
Varyon

Quote:
You can go with a Targeted Attack, sure. The Dungeon Fantasy series instead goes with extra Striking ST with the Limitation "Only on Surprise Attacks," or you could go with a custom technique (probably with a built-in Targeted Attack, a hefty damage bonus, and Surprise Only, which I'd say is good for +2 or so). See MA89 for creating custom techniques.

Quote:
Yep - Targeted Attack, MA68.

Quote:
Yeah, if you intend to use it in straight-up fights - and your GM doesn't opt for Harsh Realism for Unarmed Fighters (MA124; amongst other things, Karate and Judo lose their ability to Parry weapons) - Judo's a good option. It's also far better than Wrestling when engaging multiple opponents - you can use each hand for defenses separately, and you can knock targets down without having to spend time grappling them (Judo Parry -> Judo Throw).
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, close combat