Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 01-19-2018, 08:53 AM   #1
ULFGARD

Default Timeframe? As in, when might we have something?

I've been reading some of the posts on this board, and now I'm really curious. This sounds like a lot of fun. When might we have something? Either a Kickstarter or a regular product? I know I'm interested enough to buy.

Last edited by ULFGARD; 01-19-2018 at 09:12 AM.
ULFGARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:26 AM   #2
Chris Goodwin

Default Re: Timeframe? As in, when might we have something?

Steve Jackson Games are currently working through the Triplanetary Kickstarter. I would guess sometime after that finishes, and probably sometime after production and shipping are completed on that. 3-6 months at minimum?

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:28 AM   #3
larsdangly

That's a good question, though my guess is they aren't really sure, and the answer is likely to be something like a year for anything larger than a Melee re-issue or something simple like that.

I don't really care; I've been waiting 35 years so I can hold on a few months longer! I'm spending my time getting my scattered setting notes pulled together, filled in and onto a computer so I'll be ready to rock it hard as soon as new material starts coming out.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:20 PM   #4
JLV

If I had to guess, I'd guess that the only possibility for 2018 would be just Melee. I cannot imagine Steve being ready to go with the whole enchilada in less than a couple of years.

What I think we'll see is something similar to (but quicker than) the original release schedule -- Melee this year (possibly late in the year -- Steve has already said he wants to do this), Wizard sometime next year (I'd guess about a year after Melee), and then the whole system in 2020 or thereabouts.

I base this guesstimate on Steve needing time to think about this (all while running a successful and highly prolific game company), do his re-writes, and then playtest same. Plus, fitting TFT products into an already loaded game production schedule. So I'm guessing I'm reasonably on target with these WAGs at this point in time, though any such guesses are always highly subject to change as things come up at SJG.

Mind you, I'm not anyone employed by SJG (and thus, have absolutely zero insight into their actual issues and opportunities), nor did I spend an evening at the Holiday Inn Express last night, so I could be completely out of my mind...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:53 PM   #5
bookworm562

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULFGARD View Post
I've been reading some of the posts on this board, and now I'm really curious. This sounds like a lot of fun. When might we have something? Either a Kickstarter or a regular product? I know I'm interested enough to buy.
I'd be thrilled to see a nice hardbound book, but my best guess would be wait for work on the things that make Steve Jackson Games money to slow down. I'd guess Munchkin, GURPS and OGRE are still occupying time.

No guarantees, but I will wait patiently.
bookworm562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:06 PM   #6
Carnifex

I am hoping they release something in PDF fairly quickly. At the very least making the original Melee and Wizard available legally in PDF for a couple of bucks would be an easy low resource project that would tide us over until the Melee Kickstarter gets off the ground. As a bonus, it might provide some insight into how many people are out there that are genuinely interested in the game.
Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:27 AM   #7
bookworm562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I am hoping they release something in PDF fairly quickly. At the very least making the original Melee and Wizard available legally in PDF for a couple of bucks would be an easy low resource project that would tide us over until the Melee Kickstarter gets off the ground. As a bonus, it might provide some insight into how many people are out there that are genuinely interested in the game.
The irony being the pdf today would be the same price as the game 40 years ago and more profitable.
bookworm562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 03:53 PM   #8
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Still talking about the options. But I am working while we talk - I have cleaned up the scans of MELEE and ITL, and am ready to start another one as soon as I get the scan.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 03:56 PM   #9
larsdangly

Very inspiring! I'm happily beavering away at turning my tangled, hand-scribbled notes from my main setting into something digitized and organized - its fun to think the new rules books are cooking away on another burner at the same time!
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:12 AM   #10
Jen_not_that_Jen

I happened across an article about TFT rights reverting back to Steve Jackson and yadda yadda yadda here I am registered and posting on the forums.

I know it will be a while before there's any news on a new release but I sure don't want to miss out.

/grabscomfortableseat
Jen_not_that_Jen is offline   Reply With Quote