Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 04-28-2019, 11:10 AM   #11
hal

Default Re: Routes and GURPS TRAVELLER: FAR TRADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjoneslo View Post
https://github.com/makhidkarun/traveller_pyroute

This is the source code for the python version of the code used to generate the data values posted in the Traveller Wiki. I am currently the person actively maintaining this code. I also the head librarian at the wiki.

Anthony's answers to your outstanding questions are all correct.

The current code can (and does) sum the potetntial trade from a few hundred worlds.
Hi Tjonselo,
I unfortunately don't have access to Python. Is there by chance a way to get an executable of this for use with windows?

If so, I'd love to be able to not only generate the data, but store it in an xlm file for the program I'm writing in VB.NET.

It currently generates ALL spot freight market contracts available for all worlds who have a sufficiently high enough BTN. I am working on the premise that if you know you intend to hit world K starting from World A, that you could stop at world C, E, G, etc until you hit your final destination. Chances are, you can get a full cargo hold worth of freight contracts - but in case you cant, perhaps you can get a full hold when you leave with four stops involved. Then at each stop, maybe get something, maybe not.

I just now got it so I can import an xml file of the Spinward Marches, and the next bit of code I want to write (simple for each loop) determine the distance from any given source world to a destination world - thereby determining when the contract required the freight to be delivered by. I also want to make it so that if you have a Jump 3 ship, it will list all worlds within Jump 3 (essentially another for each loop) and determining whether or not the distance =< 3.

fun stuff like that for if/when I run a Fantasy Ground campaign over the net. Since I know how to save to clipboard - I can create a freight manifest, a passenger manifest - and even keep a history of all contracts ever held, every port ever visited, every port's income etc.

That Trade route algorithm is a substantial benefit.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 01:53 PM   #12
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
Hi Tjonselo,
I unfortunately don't have access to Python. Is there by chance a way to get an executable of this for use with windows?
https://docs.python.org/3/using/windows.html
Old 04-28-2019, 04:59 PM   #13
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Thanks Anthony. When I get the chance, I'll look into installing the 3.7 version. I'm guessing I have to install the 64 bit version. Never hurts to research things first however!
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:23 PM   #14
tjoneslo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
Hi Tjonselo,
If so, I'd love to be able to not only generate the data, but store it in an xlm file for the program I'm writing in VB.NET.
The program does not currently export any data in an XML or excel format. It only outputs data in a text file with formatting for the wiki and direct memory dumps of the two of the internal data structures. There is a converter to generate some XML files that could be used by Traveller Map to display the routes. But that is currently unused.

I can look at adding some more output formats. What specifically are you looking for in your data set file?

- Economic Data
- The data on the map for each world, including the routes.

I can post-process the internal data files to generate the second, I think, but I'll need to review what the XML output looks like.
tjoneslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:19 PM   #15
Anthony

nowadays it would probably make sense to produce the files in svg format instead of postscript that gets converted to pdf, but that's not really more usable, just more web-friendly (if svg had existed when I wrote the code, I probably would have used it), at least unless you add more stuff (hrefs or tooltips on worlds, for example).

Last edited by Anthony; 04-30-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:23 PM   #16
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjoneslo View Post
The program does not currently export any data in an XML or excel format. It only outputs data in a text file with formatting for the wiki and direct memory dumps of the two of the internal data structures. There is a converter to generate some XML files that could be used by Traveller Map to display the routes. But that is currently unused.

I can look at adding some more output formats. What specifically are you looking for in your data set file?

- Economic Data
- The data on the map for each world, including the routes.

I can post-process the internal data files to generate the second, I think, but I'll need to review what the XML output looks like.
Below at the bottom of this, is an XML sample of what I'm currently using. I copied and pasted the Route Data from the PDF Anthony pointed me towards. From the information continued within, I was then able to determine what the value for the Route type should be.

The main reason I needed that data was to determine the "Route type" of the world in question. If the Route Type was main, any bidding on freight lots is penalized by a -4. If the Route Type was Feeder, the modifier was -2, etc.

My problem is this however...

The one player I've got who I am using as a guinea pig for the Far Trader rules, has determined his best contracts are those that require multiple jumps - as he gets paid on a per parsec basis. His plan? Jump from System A to System B's Gas Giant. Wilderness refuel - and the time spent getting out of the gas Giant's gravity well is used to refine the fuel tanks of unrefined fuel. When he reaches his next destination, he repeats and continues until he reaches his destination. He doesn't have to spend time planet side at each destination - just stick around long enough for the free fuel.

No port fees to be paid, no interaction with the starport, and best of all, the best payout for having travelled multiple jumps.

The one reason I wish I had that algorithm for determining shortest distance between two worlds as contained at Travellermap.com - is the fact that if I had that functionality, the "due date" of the contract would be refined all the better. As it is, I use actual distance between source world and Destination world to assign the due date per the rules.

Ah well, one step at a time. I can now implement a "Navigation "routine where the ship is at a given world, and I want to see which worlds are within the jump rating of my ship. Easy peasy actually. When I click on the interface that lists all of the available worlds within the Jump radius - I can select the destination world and set it as the destination for when the ship jumps. The ultimate aim of the app is to handle all of the GM record keeping duties so that I can simply concentrate on GM'ing Traveller through Fantasy Grounds or at my table via my laptop.

Ideally? I would want to be able to determine the Route Type of every single world in all of the 36 sectors - so that if my player(s) want to go to Deneb, I can use the software app without having to say "Sorry, that sector is under construction, stay inside the realms and boundaries of the Spinward Marches."

All I really need when you get right down to it is this:

Hex Id
World Name
Route Data (four digit number, of which one of them is the BTN value of the Route going through that world's space).

That alone would permit me to add the route type to each world. Eventually? This app will generate trade manifests that will get dumped into an XML file. Every game session, that Freight Manifest file gets loaded, new manifest entries added, and when the contracts are completed, the payment is debited to the Ship's accounts, the contract is closed out and the status of the contract is closed.

Eventually I'll write the code so that it can do a history on the manifests showing which contracts were picked up where and when, and which worlds were visited at any given time. Ditto with the Passenger Manifest. The application will check what the Control Rating is - and then flash a message on whether or not the ship is met with a customs cutter, searched for contraband, or what have you. Since the program and roll vs Admin behind the scenes, it will even prompt me (eventually) with "The inspector claims your papers are not in order and that there will be a citation issued against the ship accounts." Is it shady customs officer looking for a bribe? is it really the result of the paperwork not being 100% correct? Who knows. ;)

So, my goal is to try and incorporate as much of GURPS FAR TRADER as I can (I'm not a fan of the speculative trade rules in it, but hey, gotta start somewhere). Letting the app handle all the price regressions, freight volume regressions etc - is nice if the computer does it. Lord knows I'd never do the die rolling at the table for 493 world's worth of changes in freight tonnage or changes in pricing!

Thanks for the help you're willing to consider offering. It is much appreciated.

<Row>
<HexID>0503</HexID>
<World_Name>Whenge</World_Name>
<UWP>D648500-8</UWP>
<Route_Type>Frontier</Route_Type>
<Port_Size>0</Port_Size>
<Trade_Remarks>Ag Ni</Trade_Remarks>
<Ix>-2</Ix>
<Ex>842-5</Ex>
<Cx>1313</Cx>
<PBG>610</PBG>
<Worlds>13</Worlds>