Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 01-07-2018, 04:41 PM   #161
tbeard1999

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip

So...if you were Steve Jackson, and assuming you want to retain the good will of the TFT Grognards, what would you do to toss them a bone? Obviously, you can’t include even a fraction of their zillions of mods, and still have TFT be your product.

So what so you do?
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:41 PM   #162
JLV

Age and wisdom over youth and enthusiasm, any time! ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:42 PM   #163
tbeard1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
I used to be extremely argumentative when I was younger. With the passage of time I've realised that, since I'm almost always right, arguing is a waste of energy.
Heh (tm). I may have to steal that line for our next staff meeting.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:43 PM   #164
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
So...if you were Steve Jackson, and assuming you want to retain the good will of the TFT Grognards, what would you do to toss them a bone? Obviously, you can’t include even a fraction of their zillions of mods, and still have TFT be your product.

So what so you do?
Tell us: "Those were GREAT ideas, and you should definitely write them up as variants, new talents, etc, and either send them to us for publication in the Pyramid, or post them on one of the many excellent fan sites out there!"

And then do exactly what he always intended to do (whatever that might be) with TFT...
Old 01-07-2018, 04:45 PM   #165
Chris Rice

Quote:
Heh (tm). I may have to steal that line for our next staff meeting.
Go for it!
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:45 PM   #166
tbeard1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
Actually, I've enjoyed hearing how those of us who've used TFT for extended campaign play have modified and extended the game over the years. This was from necessity, as the system died not long after it was born, but now that it can live again I think it shows 2 things.

1. The basic concepts of Melee/Wizard, as games, were exceptional and have stood the test of time. They don't require much, if any, change.

2. The attempt to turn these into an RPG with ITL and the Advanced modules was very good, and included many advanced ideas, but was also flawed in a number of areas (which have been robustly discussed in these forums). I feel this is where additional work will be needed by the designer.

No matter what, I'm looking forward to the future of these games with a big silly grin on my face.
Yep, me too. Besides, if he just reprints it unchanged, we can mod it all again :D
Old 01-07-2018, 04:47 PM   #167
tbeard1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Tell us: "Those were GREAT ideas, and you should definitely write them up as variants, new talents, etc, and either send them to us for publication in the Pyramid, or post them on one of the many excellent fan sites out there!"

And then do exactly what he always intended to do (whatever that might be) with TFT...
Sneaky bastard. That’s what our staff knows about me. “Don’t bring Ty a problem unless you want to be assigned to fix it.” I call it leadership :D
Old 01-07-2018, 05:08 PM   #168
JLV

Quote:
Sneaky bastard. That’s what our staff knows about me. “Don’t bring Ty a problem unless you want to be assigned to fix it.” I call it leadership :D
I used to do the same thing when I was a Colonel in the USAF -- I would set aside some time every day to walk around the unit, and frequently someone would bring up a problem to me because I was there (but I'd learned the people bringing me the problem almost always "knew" just how it should be fixed); and I'd hear them out and then ask them; "Well, what do you think we should do about this?" They'd offer me a solution, and then I'd tell them that it sounded fine to me (you can usually make just about anything work, if you really want to), and tell them to go ahead and do as they suggested, and get back to me if they had any problems.

They were happy, I was happy, the problem was usually solved (or if not, someone else would then have a bright idea -- lather, rinse, repeat), and the job got done. I called it "management by walking around." The most important part of it was just listening and letting people know you were there.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:31 PM   #169
tbeard1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
They were happy, I was happy, the problem was usually solved (or if not, someone else would then have a bright idea -- lather, rinse, repeat), and the job got done. I called it "management by walking around." The most important part of it was just listening and letting people know you were there.
I didn’t realize that term came from the military. What did you do in the Air Force?
Old 01-07-2018, 06:52 PM   #170
JLV

Quote:
I didn’t realize that term came from the military. What did you do in the Air Force?
Flew helicopters for a while, then wound up in Signals Intelligence (went to Berlin for three years on that one during the Reagan years), then got pulled into Targeting where I spent most of the rest of my career (JUST CAUSE, Gulf War I, Former Yugoslavia, various other minor dust-ups, STRATCOM, etc.) until I was "promoted" out of doing actual work and wound up in command slots... (I also spent a couple of years in the Army before college as an enlisted grunt. It was very helpful when I was a Targeteer...)

Last edited by JLV; 01-07-2018 at 07:02 PM.

Tags
in the labyrinth, melee, roleplaying, the fantasy trip, wizard