Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-29-2014, 12:54 PM   #41
Randyman

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Blessed, Heroic Feats, Very Blessed

Tangential to the current discussion, but on topic (I think) for the initial post, I'd like to see True Faith discussed in the context of Blessed, etc.; that is, the full scope of "less than Powers" (my framing) holy/unholy advantages (and disadvantages, such as Disciplines of Faith, etc.).

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:04 PM   #42
Otaku

True Faith has a slight issue in that its default model is that it literally is your faith and not a possible "source" protecting you. It can be tweaked to represent protection provided by an outside source, however.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:35 PM   #43
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I definitely disagree that the randomness of Blessed is a bad thing. It's cheap for good reason: it's a gamble.
So as a thought experiment, if players chould choose between a +1d6 version of Blessed (average 3.5) and a +3 version of Blessed, both costing 10 points, which one do you think would be most popular?

(And by the way, can Luck be used on Blessed? I think I can see a vaguely interesting potential for Aspected Luck to be used by a GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Holy Warrior who has the full six instances of Blessed (Heroic Feats). Or even more than the full instances, if DF11 allows that, which I seem to recall that it does.)
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:41 PM   #44
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman View Post
Tangential to the current discussion, but on topic (I think) for the initial post, I'd like to see True Faith discussed in the context of Blessed, etc.; that is, the full scope of "less than Powers" (my framing) holy/unholy advantages (and disadvantages, such as Disciplines of Faith, etc.).
Some kind of Turn Undead, weakened a bit, would be an excellent Blessed variant.

It could even be two levels. Blessed (Weak Turning) for 10 points, upgraded to Blessed (Strong Turning) for 10 more points, with the second being stronger than True Faith.

In a DF campaign, or other fantasy campaign, wielders of religious supernatural powers from different faiths could to a large extent be characterized by which kinds of Blessed they do have or can have, provided there is a large enough selection to choose from.

And again, templates is the reason why I like for Blessed to always be 10 points. It's so much neater that way.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:45 PM   #45
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
And again, templates is the reason why I like for Blessed to always be 10 points. It's so much neater that way.
Considering that Very Blessed is 20 points, isn't there room for some variation? I mean even with respect to templates, even sticking to Heroic Feats, something more limited (though there are obvious dangers to them) like Heroic Feats (FP) or Heroic Feats (HP), so long as they can correspond to a 10 or 20 point cost, they can work into the templates reasonable well, can't they? This... is more relevant if one allows for Heroic Feats (IQ), in which case Heroic Feats (Will) and Heroic Feats (Perception) make a bit more sense than the other two.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:47 PM   #46
Randyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
True Faith has a slight issue in that its default model is that it literally is your faith and not a possible "source" protecting you. It can be tweaked to represent protection provided by an outside source, however.
I missed that detail, thanks! I could also see Blessed, etc. being tweaked toward True Faith, especially if True Faith itself were a prerequisite.

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:57 PM   #47
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Some kind of Turn Undead, weakened a bit, would be an excellent Blessed variant.
What's wrong with True Faith with Turning for this?

Quote:
It could even be two levels. Blessed (Weak Turning) for 10 points, upgraded to Blessed (Strong Turning) for 10 more points, with the second being stronger than True Faith.
The second being stronger than True Faith (Turning +65%) [24] but cheaper by four points?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:07 PM   #48
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Considering that Very Blessed is 20 points, isn't there room for some variation? I mean even with respect to templates, even sticking to Heroic Feats, something more limited (though there are obvious dangers to them) like Heroic Feats (FP) or Heroic Feats (HP), so long as they can correspond to a 10 or 20 point cost, they can work into the templates reasonable well, can't they? This... is more relevant if one allows for Heroic Feats (IQ), in which case Heroic Feats (Will) and Heroic Feats (Perception) make a bit more sense than the other two.
I'd honestly prefer for the Blessed/Very Blessed precedence to be adhered to, so that you always have a weaker 10 point version of the 20 point version.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:29 PM   #49
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I think my logic for -75% is pretty solid. It's one day per week, once per day and real-time.
If it were one day a week, you'd only be able to use it on one particular day (Sunday, for instance).
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:34 PM   #50
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj View Post
If it were one day a week, you'd only be able to use it on one particular day (Sunday, for instance).
Okay, what's the accessibility for "one non-specific day per week"?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage, advantage of the week, blessed, heroic feats, week, [basic]