Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-17-2011, 05:33 PM   #11
Bruno

Default Re: [DF] Bow fencers with Swashbuckler lens

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
have you trie "Bow-sword" WITH the speech marks in google search?
Yes. It ignores it and searches for bow and sword and bow, sword and bow/sword and aaaarg
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:54 PM   #12
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Yes. It ignores it and searches for bow and sword and bow, sword and bow/sword and aaaarg
Well that is just stupid.
The "search phrase here" is an old standard covenant.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:55 PM   #13
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
http://www.google.ca/#sclient=psy-ab...w=1024&bih=504
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:22 PM   #14
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
Note that this is returning bow, sword and etc. The first link is bow-sword, but it has a tiny gif picture and every other picture picked up appears to be a bow, or a sword, or most often a figure holding both.

With the quotes, it should NOT be picking up "bow, sword", which it is, nor should it be picking up "bow/sword" which it is.

In otherwords, yes, that's it. Very good. Now you see why I'm so blasted annoyed.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:25 PM   #15
Bruno

Anyways, I gave up finding a picture and made one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerril/6356475941

This is what I was talking about. I'll now have to make an Unnatural Axe to go with my other wiki entry, obviously.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:06 PM   #16
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I made this artifact for my extremely occasional DF game. It just uses the stats for the Qian Kun Ri Yue Dao sans hand protection.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:21 AM   #17
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Note that this is returning bow, sword and etc. The first link is bow-sword, but it has a tiny gif picture and every other picture picked up appears to be a bow, or a sword, or most often a figure holding both.

With the quotes, it should NOT be picking up "bow, sword", which it is, nor should it be picking up "bow/sword" which it is.

In otherwords, yes, that's it. Very good. Now you see why I'm so blasted annoyed.
The quote structure works fine, and will first return only quoted phrases, but when it runs out of hits for within the quotes it goes on to add other options. The problem is that it doesn't treat the hyphen properly.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:15 AM   #18
Celjabba

Quote:
The quote structure works fine, and will first return only quoted phrases, but when it runs out of hits for within the quotes it goes on to add other options. The problem is that it doesn't treat the hyphen properly.
Google will search variation on hyphenated words, even inside double quoted sentence, and even with the brand new "verbatim" side option.
And it will provide alternate result before it exhaust hyphenated one, if it find them otherwise more relevant.
Very annoying, and as far as I understand google documentation, it cannot be overridden.

Celjabba
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:21 AM   #19
Bruno

Quote:
It is NOT running out of hits for the hypenated quotes - note that nothing in this thread is showing up (And google indexes the SJG forums quite well), nor the previous thread that I was looking for).

It's treating the hypen completely wrong - in a quoted string with the literal option it should be looking for a hyphen literally - but instead it still looks for "any kind of punctuation or word break, including no punctuation or word break".

Which means I can't find the D&D bow-sword through google or previous SJG conversations about bow-swords or this conversation about bow-swords, ONLY that one video game article from that one video game wiki. There's a LOT more out there than that one video game wiki, and I used to be able to find it. Now I can't. Google search has in fact become unreliable.

All because they decided to call their social media platform Google+, so they had to change the way the + is interpreted.

I've lodged a complaint via a friend of a friend of a friend who works at Google in the search engine bug fixing area, which means it'll probably vanish into a black hole before it ever gets to the Google employee, let alone gets fixed. :P
Old 11-18-2011, 08:44 AM   #20
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

The thing is, English is terribly inconsistent when it comes to hyphens. Is it watch maker, watch-maker or watchmaker? Google tries it's best to find what it things is relevant for you. I agree that it should have a way to search for the exact string, but cursing Google for trying hard to make it's search engine into a natural language processor isn't the solution.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
swashbuckler, [df] bow fencer