Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
BraselC5048

Default Boundary between stealth and invisibility art?

I'm designing (well, revising) a character, who's supposed to be realllly good at stealth - it is a 500 pt character, after all. (perhaps somewhat justifiable for 'one of the best who ever lived,' from a realism standpoint.) I'm allowing a few cinematic skills, but nothing remotely supernatural.

My question is, where does stealth end and invisibility art begin? My version of invisibilty art would involve all black clothing, and only work at night (darkness penalty of at least -2, more like -3). SO, what does stealth allow you do do, in game, and what would my version of invisibility art allow you to do? GURPS Raw doesn't make that clear.

Say you need to cross a wide open field, at night, with a few sentries watching - you couldn't walk any closer then a dozen yards in directly in front of them, at best, but of course you could simply circle around when you get near them.

So, what's the difference, and boundary, between invisibility art and simple stealth in game?
BraselC5048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
gilbertocarlos

Default Re: Boundary between stealth and invisibility art?

With stealth you sneak on their backs, trying to go through the ceiling, dark alleys etc...

With invisibility art you do the same, but, if you need to dash in their direction while he is watching, you may stay invisible.
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
BraselC5048

So, what does stealth allow you to do, exactly, at night, and what does invisibility art let you do? Anyone know?
BraselC5048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraselC5048 View Post
I'm designing (well, revising) a character, who's supposed to be realllly good at stealth - it is a 500 pt character, after all. (perhaps somewhat justifiable for 'one of the best who ever lived,' from a realism standpoint.) I'm allowing a few cinematic skills, but nothing remotely supernatural.
Do not permit Invisibility Art then. It is blatantly supernatural.

Quote:
My question is, where does stealth end and invisibility art begin? So, what's the difference, and boundary, between invisibility art and simple stealth in game?
Stealth, "I sneak up behind the person, quietly." It is the realistic skill of moving quietly and of avoiding attention.

Invisibility Art, "I walk up to the sentry, in full sight, walking through the spotlights for kicks and giggles, casually stand in front of him and softly inhale his last breaths as I look into his eyes. He doesn't see a thing until the knife slides in." It is a blatantly supernatural ability that sits between the concepts of "Ninja Vanish!" from various wuxia films and "Holographic Stealth" from the predator movies.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:59 PM   #5
DangerousThing

I wouldn't say that Invisibility Art is blatantly supernatural, but it's at least somewhat dependent on chi powers to hypnotise those that may otherwise see somebody.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
lexington

Quote:
So, what's the difference, and boundary, between invisibility art and simple stealth in game?
Game mechanically Invisibility Art is much more generous in when you take penalties but only lasts one second per roll.
Narratively the difference is the that with Stealth you're actually hiding and with Invisibility Art you're not.

Stealth is scurrying along at Move 2, crouching to stay below the tall grass, and takeing -10 to the roll.
Invisibility Art is running at full speed making no effort to hide and taking -5.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:09 PM   #7
cosmicfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Invisibility Art, "I walk up to the sentry, in full sight, walking through the spotlights for kicks and giggles, casually stand in front of him and softly inhale his last breaths as I look into his eyes. He doesn't see a thing until the knife slides in." It is a blatantly supernatural ability that sits between the concepts of "Ninja Vanish!" from various wuxia films and "Holographic Stealth" from the predator movies.
I disagree with this characterization of Invisibility Art. From the description in Characters, that would require Invisibility Art at a TREMENDOUSLY high skill, and even then I would apply massive penalties for not TRYING to be stealthy. It is a contest of skills against Vision, including light modifiers, movement penalties, and a bonus/penalty for how vigilant the observer is. It does not work in combat and if ANYONE sees you, it is easier for EVERYONE to see you!

I would say that Stealth works directly on the eyes, whereas Invisibility Art works mostly on the mind. I would allow rolls against both - a failed Stealth means that you are visible, but with a successful Invisibility Art roll you would not be recognized as a person, much less a threat.
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #8
gilbertocarlos

If you fail your roll of stealth you can still use invisibility art.
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfish View Post
I would say that Stealth works directly on the eyes, whereas Invisibility Art works mostly on the mind. I would allow rolls against both - a failed Stealth means that you are visible, but with a successful Invisibility Art roll you would not be recognized as a person, much less a threat.
I would catagorize them differently.

Stealth is a realistic skill which depends on being quiet and moving such that you don't appear out of place.

Invisibility Art, on the other hand seems obviously mystic. It requires both Stealth and Hypnotism at 14+ as prerequisites, as well as TbaM. You can stand in plain sight and people have to roll Vision vs Invisibility Art to see you. Even if you are pointed out, they only get a +3 on the QC to see you.

I think that I would have preferred a slightly more self-consistent definition for this skill, and will probably come up with one for my game. I also want it to cost FP.

When I come up with something I like, I'll post it here.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
invisibility art, rules question, stealth