Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 08-27-2018, 09:37 AM   #1
David Bofinger

Default Player List

With thousands of people backing TFT on Kickstarter it seems likely some are close enough I could play with them. But how do I find them? Would it make sense to offer everyone who backed on Kickstarter a chance to opt in to having their location and contact information made available to those organising and/or seeking games?

I remember there was a TFT player list once upon a time but I don't know if it's still about and I severely doubt it's as complete as the Kickstarter backer list.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:56 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Player List

People who want to meet up with other local TFT fans are encouraged to use the Gamer Finder forum right here.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:15 AM   #3
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
People who want to meet up with other local TFT fans are encouraged to use the Gamer Finder forum right here.
Would that be the right place to solicit playtesters as well, for those who are looking to get into adventure module design?
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:30 AM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
Would that be the right place to solicit playtesters as well, for those who are looking to get into adventure module design?
Either there or a post here that asks for email or PM replies.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:31 AM   #5
Shadekeep

Quote:
Either there or a post here that asks for email or PM replies.
Great, thanks very much!
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:06 PM   #6
David Bofinger

Quote:
I don't think this is a substitute for a player list. Of the thousands of players who backed the kickstarter, probably only a handful regularly check that list. There are hundreds of views on some posts, but that's spread over all SJG games. And that's perfectly reasonable because checking fora takes time and we all have lives.

But if a Kickstarter update were to say, "We encourage you to sign up to this player finder web site" (whether a SJG web site or third party one) "and register an interest in TFT," then I could just leave that entry and forget about it. If three years from now someone in my neighbourhood is starting a game they can call.

I think it would be a great way to promote TFT. I'm really surprised it isn't happening, for all SJG games, but especially for TFT because the Kickstarter updates catch people's attention.

Alternately you could encourage thousands of people to post, "I live here and I'm interested in TFT," to the forum. This would flood the forum and make it machine searchable only. But it's greatly inferior solution compared with a proper player finder, with a map.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:47 PM   #7
CardDiceian

How about a group on Facebook or Twitter?

(Not sure if groups work on Twitter actually) But a Facebook one probably would. - whether it would need to be broken down into country location or not - or if the title of each post started with the Country / State /Town etc.

That might work. - Anybody care to give it a try?
CardDiceian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:55 PM   #8
David Bofinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardDiceian View Post
How about a group on Facebook or Twitter?
I think what's needed is something entirely passive, where I can put my name on the list and forget about it, and if I need to find players I can go to the list and find them. Facebook isn't really like that.

This is quite frustrating. Based on https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ying/community there are probably dozens of backers in my city, but I have no way to contact them. An opt-in scheme pushed out through a Kickstarter update would be easy and so handy.

Last edited by David Bofinger; 09-02-2018 at 07:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-02-2018, 10:22 PM   #9
JohnPaulB

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
I think what's needed is something entirely passive, where I can put my name on the list and forget about it, and if I need to find players I can go to the list and find them. Facebook isn't really like that.

This is quite frustrating. Based on https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ying/community there are probably dozens of backers in my city, but I have no way to contact them. An opt-in scheme pushed out through a Kickstarter update would be easy and so handy.
Is this the kind of community board you were thinking of?
https://tft.brainiac.com/pmwiki/pmwi...rsLocationList

It is was last updated in 2015, but I will see if it can be started up again.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:54 AM   #10
CardDiceian

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post

I would put my name down on that list if it came about - (I have no idea if there are any players in my area at all. Most of the backers seem to be USA based that are active here anyway.

I did create a Facebook group this morning - No idea if it will work or not.
if it proves to be problematic I will close it again.
CardDiceian is offline   Reply With Quote