Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 08-25-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
Boragon

Default Munchkin-size card sleeves

Hey all, just thought I'd throw my two copper pieces in. Here is a review of some sleeves that fit Munchkin:

Ultra-Pro Yu-Gi-Yo size: Good quality sleeves, nice packaging, but pricey.

Max Protection Small Size: Again quality sleeves, packaging not as nice but still good, over $1.00 less per 50 then Ultra-Pro.

KMC Yu-Gi-Yo Sleeves: Plastic quality same as above but, they are nearly the same height as Munchkin cards. So the cards are almost popping out the top. Packaging the least nice.

Ultra-Pro has their little holo-stamp to show authenticity, Max is sans stamp. Max is also just a bit smaller the Ultra so Max fits nicer. Over all the best value and price point is Max Protection.

I like to use solid colours for the door cards and holo-type for the treasure. And giving each card set its own colour is nice too; easier to see which cards are which in those long white card boxes.

P.S. The reason I state packaging is that I re-use the little baggies to store unused sleeves and un-sleeved cards.

Last edited by Boragon; 08-25-2008 at 03:11 PM.
Boragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:25 PM   #2
astronautcowboy3

Default Re: Munchkin-size card sleeves

Having all 6 Munchkins, I could never see myself sleeving them. The horror of the stack size...
astronautcowboy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:04 AM   #3
Boragon

To each their own, but the way I look at it. The cards will last much longer, no worry of the surface on which you play. Coloured sleeves look cool (so I think anyway). When playing games with tall stacks, I've placed most of the stack in the boxes and played with one that was more manageable. Also playing with more then two games, say Munchkin, Star, Super, and Fu, I used seperate decks for each and had the players roll a die (d4) to see which deck they draw from. This way the randomness is still there and the decks don't get mixed.
Boragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
dajestar

do you have an issue with the cards having a little to much breathing room on the sides with the Yu-Gi-Oh sleeves?
dajestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:06 AM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Not an endorsement, merely a reference: Fantasy Flight has started selling their own card sleeves, and one of them specifically says they are sized for Munchkin cards (among others).

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
maydaygames

And here is a picture comparing the FFG sleeves with the Mayday Games ones:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/571429
maydaygames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:01 PM   #7
Nakiro

Default Card Sleeves

Love 'em? Hate 'em? Use 'em?
What does everyone think about them and just how much do they help in preserving the cards?

Had any good/bad experiences with them?
MiB #3872
Nakiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:19 PM   #8

Default Re: Card Sleeves

I use em'. It has been a habit of mine since my CCG playing days, and even so, some players hated sleeves (some sort of counter culture in the collectable card circle). My logic was always if they stay in great condition I could always trade/sell/barter/hawk/pawn/vend them later. The conundrum of what fits best on munchkin cards has been discussed in other posts, but if don't feel like looking: Yugioh sleeves fit as well as fantasy flight's Standard American Board Game Sleeves, I use the later of the two though some say it takes away some of the “random” aspects of the game.
1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:39 PM   #9
chronojinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
Yugioh sleeves fit as well as fantasy flight's Standard American Board Game Sleeves, I use the later of the two though some say it takes away some of the “random” aspects of the game.
I don't understand what affects the "'random' aspects of the game". Can you please explain?

I've been doing some research on sleeves, and have asked the very same question on this thread.

Another thing: I would want sleeves not only to keep the cards in better condition, I would also want to cover up which core cards are from. I suspect two different cards through, one for doors and one from treasures.
chronojinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:58 AM   #10
Nakiro

I can see how you can have some issues if you don't have the see-thru backs, but otherwise it shouldn't matter.
MiB #3872
Nakiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
card sleeves, munchkin, sleeves, storage