Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

View Poll Results: So what about that Ninja, hey?
Leave it as is in Ogre Minis. 53 36.05%
Add a hairy "stealth" rule and increase the point value. 37 25.17%
I'm going to playtest some before I answer. 35 23.81%
I am a pirate. I do not play with Ninjas. 22 14.97%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2016, 04:10 PM   #231
Tim Kauffman

Default Re: Ogre Minis Revision Issue: Ninja

...quite as a NINJA OGRE around here...lol

This next and newest suggestion would also be at home in this thread (it is also posted here):
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=144947:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kauffman View Post
So, all this Mine discussion had me thinking of Stealth OGREs and then I realized why...A new FanMade suggestion:

I think the COMBINE Stealth OGREs would be developed to use mines of every sort...it really suits them Imho. It gives them more utility and augments their infiltration/ sabotage design by allowing them to be used defensively if trying to escape a situation gone wrong or offensively by inserting mines in enemy territory. It gives them more flexibility on the nuclear battlefield. I think this also really gives them a cool mission oriented theme as these mines will be an integral part of their weapon systems and mission objectives.
Also, Mines are more suited to COMBINE Stealth OGREs because they are the fastest moving OGREs.

COMBINE Stealth OGREs would be given Mine load outs depending on the mission at hand. This could range from Mines of the same type, to an assortment to be deployed as the mission unfolds to completion.

The NINJA would have a maximum Load-Out Value of Mines it could carry, and the same for other FanMade COMBINE Stealth units. The larger the Stealth OGREs Size, the more Mines it can carry.

If you use Mine Tokens to represent the Mines carried there would be no need for record keeping.

Here are, once again my FanMade COMBINE Stealth OGREs:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128248...57650555669260
...now just imagine they can all carry and deploy a payload of mission specific Mines. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced Buckeye View Post
Wouldn't deploying a Vulcan unit to place mines make more sense with the mechanical arms...just sayin'
Quote:
Sure they could, in fact they would be able to carry more, the mines would be stored in a separate payload container on the VULCANs open cargo bay, but the Combine Stealth OGREs are much faster, have more weapons systems and have Stealth ability...using Stealth OGREs for mine deployment is more lethal, more of a war machine than the VULCAN, which is primarily a lightly armed Recovery/ Repair OGRE.
The Stealth OGREs would carry mines under their chassis in payload compartments designed specifically for deploying mines. They would be more efficient at it, but the VULCAN could carry more, however would have to use it's arms to deploy them, which would take longer.

The difference being, VULCANs would usually be used to deploy mines in low or semi-low threat environments, while Stealth OGREs could also deploy them in low threat environments, they would excel at deploying them in high threat environments. Of course these are general operating guidelines depending on the situation. A VULCAN could be risked going into a high-threat environment, or a Stealth OGRE could be used to lay mines more quickly in low-threat environments for example.

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 08-19-2016 at 08:09 PM.
Tim Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:34 PM   #232
Tim Kauffman

New FanMade idea:

CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON

Mines carried by Combine Stealth units may be deployed at the beginning of the enemies turn before their movement and before an Overrun begins. The Stealth unit who wants to deploy mines in preemptive response, declares they are deploying mines and states how many and what types are being deployed and places the indicated mines being used in the same hex as the Stealth Ogre using them. They then resolve the attack(s) and any damage done as soon as an enemy OGRE is in this hex. Then the enemy players attack(s) are resolved.

...gives them more flexibility, utility, and a nice stealthy sting.

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 10-17-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:14 AM   #233
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
New FanMade idea:

Mines carried by Combine Stealth units may be deployed on the enemies turn, before they are attacked. Such mine deployments are considered attacks and are resolved immediately, before the enemy attack is resolved.
The Stealth unit player being attacked who wants to deploy mines in preemptive response, declares they are deploying mines and states how many and what types are being deployed and places the indicated mines being used in the same hex as the Stealth Ogre using them. They then resolve the attack(s) and any damage done as soon as an enemy OGRE is in this hex. Then the enemy players attack(s) are resolved.

...gives them more flexibility, utility, and a nice stealthy sting.
Too bad we can't turn them into sticky bombs and let the Vulcan throw them at opponents in an overrun sequence...rofl.
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:52 PM   #234
Tim Kauffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced Buckeye View Post
Too bad we can't turn them into sticky bombs and let the Vulcan throw them at opponents in an overrun sequence...rofl.
The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

XD...it's that VULCAN humor!
Old 10-15-2016, 10:55 PM   #235
Tim Kauffman

In the interest of staying on topic in the new Ninja Feedback Forum Thread and continuing exploring the NINJA and OGREverse stealth technology,
I am posting this here...

FanMade idea ALERT:

The NINJA has a Trick called "NIGHT STALKER" (named after the NINJA that was first equipped with it and field tested the ability). The NINJA may forfeit it's Fire Phase and does not move on it's turn and instead may react to enemy movement during the enemies turn as soon as it occurs, and move up to it's total movement on the enemies turn. This includes a Cruise Missile that is incoming. This means the NINJA player lets the enemy player move as many hexes as they choose and can then stop that movement and move the NINJA...BEFORE the enemy unit moves into that hex. This means the NINJA can move before the enemy moves into the hex they declare they are moving into for example. So, a NINJA could evade Overruns and potentially an incoming Cruise Missile or other situations other OGREs are not sophisticated and stealthy enough to. Imagine the NINJA using the NIGHT STALKER trick to advance on retreating enemy units. A NINJA equipped with NIGHT STALKER caused even the most seasoned GEV pilots trepidation. For this rule, a Cruise Missile is considered a unit.

Place a NIGHT STALKER Token on the NINJA using this Trick.

Cost is pending further field testing.

-OR-

FanMade idea ALERT:

The OGRE MARK4 as Officially made was the test bed chassis for the final version that had the same stealth packages available to it as the NINJA. So, the MARK4 is unchanged and remains as it always has been...and the new FanMade version was called the SHINOBI and used the same chassis as the MARK4 with some noticeable cosmetic differences you can see here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/128248...57688275408641
Compare the NINJA and the MARK4 and you will notice how similar they are with the NINJA just being a smaller version of the MARK4 with more weapons...or the MARK4 is just a larger version of the NINJA. With this FanMade suggestion...there is a reason now why that is...they were both part of Combines stealth OGRE program.

-OR- I would also allow this for other OGREs with a move of 4 or more, in addition to allowing it for the NINJA and SHINOBI as it would really suit their maneuvering capability. Such OGREs could benefit from a smidge of a tweek like this to help give them some more character and gameplay fun moments on the nuclear battlefields of the Last War.

...Keep in mind the OGRE using this must not have moved during it's turn...that's a big deal in a game of OGRE for an OGRE. This is very situational and not something that will be used a lot and is balanced because of this.

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 08-06-2018 at 01:19 PM.