Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-06-2007, 12:05 PM   #31
Blood Legend

Default Re: New perks thread

How about a perk that lets you reload guns quickly? Or would that be an advantage.

Reflex Loader [1] The character reloads his weapons without thinking. The GM is to assume that on any downtime the player has his guns reloaded. The player will never pick up an empty gun unless he is logically completely out of ammo.

Trick Loader (Revolver) [1] The character can reload a six shooter in a split second (I've seen this done and it is so bloody cool).

Trick Loader (Magazine) [1] The character can reload a magazine in a split second.

Gun Check [1] The character always knows how much ammo all of his guns have without thinking about it. He will always be able to tell exactly how many rounds he has left, and when he'll run out. (Not useful in a game where ammo management isn't important.)

Soft Landing [1] The character always lands quietly. This confers no ability to land safely. Just quietly.

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno

Last edited by Blood Legend; 06-06-2007 at 12:16 PM.
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:29 PM   #32
Kaldrin

I can't recall specifically what quantifies a perk, so I'll just throw these out there and ask if they're actually perks.

- Shining White Teeth: even after a pack of cigarettes and double espresso you're teeth always shine bright white. You always manage to find a way to brush them, even when time constraints are limited. -1 to camoflage, but situational +1 to Sex Appeal and Negotiation rolls.

- Great Breath: Even if you've just finished a garlic sausage and onion sandwich topped with sauerkraut, you always have fresh smelling breath. +1 to Sex Appeal rolls if you're 'up close and personal'.

- Fabio Hair: if a wind blows your long hair will never cover your eyes and it will always look like you just washed it. Only applies to male characters with long hair. Situational +1 reaction from whomever would like that sort of thing.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:28 PM   #33
benz72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask
Esprit d'Escalier: You always have a snappy comeback, of the kind most people think of hours later.
We used to have this in the very first GURPS game I ever played, but we called it "Verbal Assault Weapon".
Old 06-06-2007, 02:48 PM   #34
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldrin
- Shining White Teeth:

- Great Breath:

- Fabio Hair:
They're kind of marginal, especially the first and third. The malus to camo knocks Shining White Teeth down to a 0 point feature, I think. Fabio Hair is almost a Shtick, but there should be more potential for in-game benefits than it seems capable of. Great Breath is like a variation on Sanitized Metabolism... I'd rather use the latter, but this looks distinct enough that it could qualify.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:56 PM   #35
Sense of Duty (Kittens)

This used to be a quirk, but it seems too advantageous.

Morosoph Mark II

You get -1 on all easy or better modified intellectual tasks, but you get a +1 bonus on any IQ/ Hard or VH skill rolls modified downwards for difficulty (GM's Decision.)
Old 06-06-2007, 03:46 PM   #36
ravenfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery
The malus to camo knocks Shining White Teeth down to a 0 point feature, I think. .
I'd say that something that allows the player to take an equal advantage and disadvantage should be at least a perk, since players tend to choose advantages that help a lot and disadvantages that don't. I think that's part of 4e philosophy, but correct me if I'm wrong.
ravenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:01 PM   #37
Kaldrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery
They're kind of marginal, especially the first and third. The malus to camo knocks Shining White Teeth down to a 0 point feature, I think. Fabio Hair is almost a Shtick, but there should be more potential for in-game benefits than it seems capable of. Great Breath is like a variation on Sanitized Metabolism... I'd rather use the latter, but this looks distinct enough that it could qualify.
Actually, looking in my book now that I'm at home Sanitized Metabolism is just neutral; no oder. Great Breath was intended to smell good. You could modify it so it smells 'good' from whomever's perspective...

Considering I gave the bright teeth +1 for two different skills, I figured it would balance if there was a limited drawback.

And a shtick is a perk...
Old 06-07-2007, 05:29 PM   #38
Blood Legend

Iron Groin [1] For those scary thugs that can take any hit. This removes the additional penalties from hits to the groin on males.

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:11 PM   #39
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Legend
Iron Groin [1] For those scary thugs that can take any hit. This removes the additional penalties from hits to the groin on males.
Canonically, this is IT:No Vitals, -60% Groin Only. Both by 3e and 4e's Bio-Tech books.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:21 AM   #40
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Legend
Please don't bring up that gurps sexism with female characters getting a perk for free issue. I'ld amost blocked it out.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote