Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
Kesendeja

Default How to make a skeletal familiar

I'm playing a necromancer and want a skeletal familiar. How would I go about making it?
Kesendeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
Anaraxes

Default Re: How to make a skeletal familiar

Familiars are usually Allies with the Minion enhancement. Powers that they grant you generally rate a -40% "Granted by Familiar" limitation. See page B38.

Then you have to decide what a "skeleton" is, in this setting. DF9 (Summoners) has a skeletal servitor on page 26. (You might want this PDF just for ideas and inspiration even if it's not a DF game.) A skeleton will have lots of advantages like Doesn't Eat, Doesn't Sleep, Immunity to Metabolic Hazards, Injury Tolerance (Unliving, No Blood, Brains, Eyes). Or perhaps you see it as being vulnerable to crushing damage instead. If it's the mindless sort of skeleton, it will also have some significant disads like Reprogrammable and Automaton. Stats are something of a matter of taste -- how strong, dexterous, etc, do you want it to be?

Or not, if you're thinking of an intelligent skeleton -- Bob the Skull from the Dresden Files would be a completely different sort of character.

Can you describe your image of the skeleton in words? Can it think for itself, react to its environment without orders, take initiative? Does it fight for the necromancer, so that you might want good combat stats and skills? Or is it more of a fetch-and-carry servant? Does it give its master any powers? Step one is to describe what the character is. Then we can go looking for Advantages and Disadvantages that fit the vision.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
Kesendeja

This is a 300 point dungeon fantasy game. So far her Ally looks like this

Ally 14 cp
50% of starting points
Constantly
Summonable
Sympathy (Death of one party reduces other to 0HP)

I basically combined a zombie template with a fighter for the basic abilities and added energy reserve. I also added Mindlink (master) and telesend (master).

It worked out to be an intelligence of 9, and I picture it more as a minor spirit animating the bones than the soul of the dead guy. (she's also dabbled in summoning)
Old 09-20-2013, 06:59 AM   #4
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesendeja View Post
Sympathy (Death of one party reduces other to 0HP)
I would definitely ditch Sympathy if it's a DF game, unless you plan to use the thing as more of a valet than a fearless, meatless meat-shield.

Quote:
It worked out to be an intelligence of 9, and I picture it more as a minor spirit animating the bones than the soul of the dead guy. (she's also dabbled in summoning)
Unkillable x3 (Trigger: Provided With an Inanimate Skeleton and Summoned).
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
vierasmarius

You could alternately make the Ally an intangible spirit with Possession (Corpses only). Not sure how to do that specific build though; I haven't used Possession much myself. Either way (Unkillable 3 or Possession) you're pushing hard against that 150 point limit. It might be easier to look at modifying the Summonable enhancement on Ally itself, so that you summon your minion into a corpse.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Why not just use the existing Allies in Summoners? The whole point of playing DF is that this stuff is already worked out in advance anyway.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #7
Kesendeja

Didn't really find anything that fit.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Didn't really find anything that fit.
The Necromancer's Ally advantage is already set up for the "Servitor Skeleton" that's already fully statted. How does that not fit?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:42 PM   #9
John_A_Tallon

Quote:
I'm playing a necromancer and want a skeletal familiar. How would I go about making it?
You'll need a corpse. Fresher is better, and the quality of the bones matters too. Don't bother with old people, their bones are usually in poor shape. You'll want a heathy younger person who died of an accident. A dairy farmer is actually pretty ideal. They do lots of hard work, they drink lots of milk, they usually are pretty healthy, and a farm can be a dangerous environment if you know what I mean.

Once you've got your corpse, preparation will be a little messy. You should not boil the corpse, since this will weaken the bones and impregnate them with oils from the body. There's nothing worse than a smelly skeleton. Cleaning the bones by hand is a possibility, but you will leave knife marks on the bones. These can be waxed out later if you care about cosmetics. Another option that's good if you have a lot of time is to simply use bugs to do the job of stripping the skeleton. Given a few days in warm dark conditions with enough beetles you'll have a cleaned skeleton ready for bleaching.

Magic spells can help too. A Decay Food spell ought to work on a corpse.

After you've gotten it stripped (whatever way you do it) you'll need to prepare your ritual for imbuing motion into the bones and slaving the motive element to a control nexus of some sort. Both rituals vary greatly depending on which magic tradition you follow, but here are some general tips:
  • If possible, perform the ritual under a dark hunger moon (the first new moon of February). The moon itself will provide synergy and improve your results.
  • If there is no full moon at all for February, then it is a black hunger moon, which is even better. This is far more rare though. 2018 is the next time we'll get one.
  • If you haven't destroyed the muscles and brain of the corpse in deboning it, you'll find that many rituals will use them for a small boost in power. Your mileage may vary.
  • Bone marrow cavities should be emptied (by chemical treatment or by use of insects or a decay spell) and filled to reinforce the bones. I prefer to use an epoxy penetrant doped with short strands of silk fiber.
  • The bones will need protection from the elements, so you should coat the skeleton in laquer, shellac, or automotive paint. You can then apply a layer of turtle wax if you care about appearances.
  • Many traditions place the power stones for running the skeleton on reserve power in a purpose-built box where the heart was. This is not necessary though if you plan ahead when reinforcing the marrow cavities.

Last edited by John_A_Tallon; 09-24-2013 at 07:34 PM.
John_A_Tallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #10
fredtheobviouspseudonym

Mr. Tallon has put way too much thought into this . . . kinda scares me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_A_Tallon View Post
[LIST][*]Bone marrow cavities should be emptied (by chemical treatment or by use of insects or a decay spell) and filled to reinforce the bones. I prefer to use an epoxy penetrant doped with short strands of silk fiber.
I suppose you could keep a few cavities as small secret compartments for message transport, small weapons, and perhaps a miniaturized owner's manual.
Quote:
[list][*]The bones will need protection from the elements, so you should coat the skeleton in lacquer, shellac, or automotive paint. You can then apply a layer of turtle wax if you care about appearances.
Put a dramatic hood ornament on the top of the cranium and day-glo racing stripes on the rib cage and hip bones. I also like the idea of Turtle Wax product placement, if this ever gets into the movie it deserves. Add a sound system with the speakers projecting out the ears and the controls accessible either with Bluetooth or manually through the open mouth.
Quote:
  • Many traditions place the power stones for running the skeleton on reserve power in a purpose-built box where the heart was. This is not necessary though if you plan ahead when reinforcing the marrow cavities.
Have a hidden opening so you can put in new batteries when the old ones run dry.

Last edited by fredtheobviouspseudonym; 09-24-2013 at 04:48 PM.
fredtheobviouspseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote