Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 05-07-2014, 06:57 AM   #1
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default God Slayers [IC]

Bigfoot

Baba Yaga

Ward

Ngeshtin-ana

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 06-04-2014 at 06:12 PM.
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:14 PM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: God Slayers [IC]

World Adjacent to Earth:

Rustic: Basically everything but projected force doesn't work (including high tech). effectively TL 3, with a decent amount of emigration from other worlds. Protected by highly skilled knights. Celtic is dominant, with some Demonic. Notable for bordering on demon territory.

Magus: No mental magic. Native mages are skilled with TK, fire, and other brute force magic. The land is mostly run by bureaucrats, and home to a large number of flying creatures: griffons, (small dumb) dragons, hippogriffs, and so on. Ancient Chinese Dominant

Legend: mental magic works. Solid magic insubstantial does not. Lots of city states and small, organized kingdoms.Currently sent into chaos by Earth showing up. Egyptian, and Pharsee dominant.

Barren: Rock ball with fierce winds and no oceans or rain. Air is somehow breathable. All magic works except for that which creates minds or life.

Voyage: No Communication magic works. Mind magic requires touch. Lots of small islands, merfolk, intelligent giant lobsters, seals, and bird-people. Storms and islands have powerful guiding spirits, large sea monsters exist. Human population speaks with spirits to survive. Earth struggles to navigate local politics. Mayan among spirits, Sanscrit(accented) among native species, local tongue similar to (Broken level) Polynesian among humans.

Elf: Spirit Insubstantial doesn't work. Until recently, elves ruled this mostly human-populated planet by virtue of ageless warriors, superior metal-work, and mind-affecting stones (some affect large areas, some protect against the effect for one person). Recently a number of Earth-sponsored revolutions have tipped the balance. Humans here speak a variety of languages, most derived from Demonic (accented to no default).

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 06-04-2014, 06:14 PM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

6PM Eastern Time (10 PM GMT), September 14th, 2014, A tall, strapping young man dressed in a toga walked into the office of the president of the united states. When the guards tried to hold him back, he threw them over twenty feet. When they shot him, the bullets bounced off. When they locked the doors, he ripped them off their hinges. When the president ran, he let the man get a good lead, then disappeared in a flash of light, reappearing in front of the worried man.

"My name is Herazian. I am the new god of this world. I'm aware you may doubt my power. And yet I have no desire to wreck my new domain displaying it. You have one week from noon tomorrow to prove me. I will go to the north pole at noon Green which time. Anyone who fights me there will be forgiven, if they surrender before the time I gave. After the time is up, I will kill any president, any dictator, any legislator, any judge, any constable, and any crook who refuses to obey me. I look forward to working with you."

Herazian disappeared in a flash of light, and showed up in the E.U. To the heads of China. In front of the UN. To the governing bodies of Mexico, India, Brazil, South Africa, Russia, Iran and France. To the heads of the military in every nuclear power. To the heads of corporations, from disney to halaburton to walmart. To all of them he delivered the same message: They had one week to surrender, during which time Herazian would be at the north pole.

At noon on the next day, several nukes went off over the north pole. The first he dodged, teleporting out and returning with a piece of ice to stand on. The the second he weathered, taking the full blasts and ending up wet in the middle of the artic ocean. The rest were blown up in mid air by blasts of fire from his hands.

Needless to say, this guy is all over the news. Speculation is rife. Is he one of the ancient greek gods? Is there a world full of his species? why did he show up now rather than later? Where the ancient gods real?

You know better than the others. Herazian is a Resplendian, a tribe of dieties known for having little connection to the lands they rule. Most of the time they merely demand the lip service of their subjects along with large amounts of luxury. Herazian is one of the younger and more foolish of them -- and one of the most abrasive and demanding. He will not settle for luxury and flattery. This is almost certainly an attempt to gain earth as troops to conquer other worlds. He will have impressive strength, an array of physical and mental defences, and the ability to warp -- not to mention the ability to travel between worlds. His core advantage over earth is his magic invulnerability. Resplendians have weaknesses, but they are not only rather specific, they tend to change over time. Herazian was once vulnerable to the bones of religious sacrifices. That was 1500 years ago. He almost certainly is vulnerable to something else now... perhaps the fire of religious sacrifices, or the bones of dinosaurs, or something else like that.

Humanity doesn't know how to handle this sort of thing. If you want the planet to stay as it is, you will have to take down this would be god.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:00 AM   #4
LemmingLord

Bigfoot Watch Post 1.

Bigfoot hung by his knees backwards from a tall tree looking through some binoculars to a pair of rustic cabins nearly 500 feet away.

Two men came out of one of the cabins. One had all his hiking and hunting gear on. The other wasn't even wearing his orange hunting vest.

They were having an exchange of loud words.

Strange. Amercan hunters clearly came here together. Why part ways now? Argument over what? Two people Too close Too long for hunt maybe. Maybe upset they find no elk. Only one day left for hunting season. Was one wimp of man? Know the one remaining is lazy man. Leave food wrappers wherever he tromped.

Bigfoot watched as the heavily encumbered one waited outside while the lazy man went back inside. Soon the men were both geared up with backpacks headed for civilization. Bigfoot would have let them be, happy he had foiled the wimpy lazy men's hunting trip by shooing elk away wherever the men were headed... But Bigfoot spotted the lazy man had taken a radio from the cabin... Stealing was wrong right? Good enough reason to follow and mess with these guys.

Bigfoot swung through the trees with the greatest of ease... Taking a shortcut through the dense branches to get closer to the failed pilfering hunters. He caught up with them after a couple of hours. He overheard the radio which had been an excellent beacon for him to follow.

"...but sumthing at the White House had no sumthin at reports of sumthin sumthin in the Arctic.. A closed door UN sumthin council meeting that started yesterday continues even now..."

Uh oh. Sounds interesting.

Bigfoot snuck up on the men as the radio continued.

"...The invader is but one man... The US can't sumthin to terrorists, no matter how powerfull...but news sources report coups in several Ukranian city states declaring sumthin to Herazian..."

Bigfoot snatched the radio and rifle from the lazy hunter.

Aaah!

Tussle. Had both rifles now.

"Leave. Never return." Said Bigfoot, turning down the radio.

The wimpy one reached for his pistol. Looking for the unseen assailant.

Bigfoot dropped the rifles and radio and hurled the lazy man at the wimpy man with a satisfying crash. He took back one of the rifles and the radio and played cat and mouse a moment. He fired the rifle into the air. Finally they got the message! The hunters ran away.

Bigfoot unloaded the rifles and hid them. He took the radio with him up a mighty tall tree and listened several hours until he understood the gist of the situation as it was being reported by the US media outlets.

Bigfoot considered the situation with some worry. He ate many leaves and a small branch. Another worlder? He likely brings disease that will destroy these people.. Could Bigfoot let this happen like it did to his own people some 500 years ago? Or worse... Would he use the disease ridden humans of this earth to invade and infest another?? No...the line must be drawn here...

Bigfoot went back to the cabin to return the radio. He then raided the cabins for food to prepare for his journey... He had some potions from his lab... Instant transport tore at the very fabric of one's being... So his first trip would be to his old colleague Nessie.

Bigfoot hopped and yawlped. He called and he sprawled his arms in patterns. The cabin surroundings faded some, and new different surroundings flashed and slowly supplanted the old until Bigfoot came to the boggy least travelled parts of the Scottish highlands hopefully near the loch in question.

Last edited by LemmingLord; 06-06-2014 at 06:00 PM.
LemmingLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:27 PM   #5
Poonbahbah

Up in the Balkan Mountains a short rotund lady passes a ridge and starts following it down to a parking lot where a Winnebago is... parked. As she approaches she calls out, "Open up will ya? I found some good herbs." The RV's side door swings wide and she climbs in amd sets down her pack on a counter and takes a seat. A voice from seemingly nowhere says, "Some interesting things happened while you were out Babushka. I was listening to the radio while you were out and well. It seems their is a fellow claiming to be a god holed up on the north pole. People have already tried to Nuke him. Didn't work. Think we should help?"

Babushka replies, "Well yeah. But first I want to take a shower. Then a good cooked meal. Then I've got to get everything put away in it's place. After that we head towards Langley, Virginia. The US is still the only superpower nowadays no matter what China wants to claim. I figure I'll bluff my way into the CIAs headquarters. Talk to the guy in charge there and see where that takes me. Oh and could you be a dear and turn up the radio so I can hear what all the News is saying about this hubbub please Hut?

So she showers, eats, tidies up, and heads to the CIA's headquarters.

OOC
Do you want to just say she is able to talk to who she needs to or would you rather play it out? I'm in favor of glossing it over.

Last edited by Poonbahbah; 06-06-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Poonbahbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:45 AM   #6
momothefiddler

After "crash course" - nice term, that - on the planet, Ngeshtin-Ana steps through the gate kindly provided by Enlil. Never a good plan to cover someone's lawn in ice when you go to set up relations with you, they said. Who needs lawns anyway? Ice is far prettier.

The tall, muscular woman with pure white hair and cold blue eyes looks out of place in a bustling urban park. She looks at her surroundings. Grass, trees, swarms of mortals - imagine the gold this many mortals could produce! - and over there a street full of cars. The yellow ones are for public use.

She raises a hand, as taught, to stop the first taxi she sees - and is ignored. Barely a hint of a scowl darkening her brow, she steps in front of the next one, holding her hand in an imperious "stop" gesture. Climbing into the back, she calmly says, "United Nations building, please. I need to introduce myself. And, if you would, catch me up on any national news over the past couple days, since our last report."

She flips a single gold coin over the seat.

((I'd like to request that, for this character, reaction rolls be made on a regular basis. They're gonna be one of her primary ways of taking care of the mundane things she needs. Based on appearance and charisma (I don't know if the Wealth-based Status is evident in her shapeshifty clothes. Seems odd for that to work), she has a ~98% chance of getting a Neutral or better result, and a 50% chance of Very Good or Excellent.))

Astrid 14/14HP, 3/10FP buffs
Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT

Last edited by momothefiddler; 06-10-2014 at 10:01 AM.
momothefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #7
the_matrix_walker

Ward had been here only a short time, he was fascinated with their computers and technology, and impressed with their empire that seemed to go on forever, but the people here were rude, crass, mostly lazy and loud, with little to no thought of balance in themselves or with their world.

With the current situation regarding Herazian, the talks regarding Ward's world were largely derailed. Ward did his best to get things back on track.

'Can't you see this is no different than your invasion of my people's world?'
He asked the humans he was supposed to be 'negotiating' with.

Ward was getting the impression that these talks were largely lip service. These humans delighted in talk, even when they had no intention of the practical application of their conclusions.

The internal debate raged within Ward. Would it be better for his people if this god held sway here? The humans back home would almost certainly stop receiving the aid that is allowing them to prevail over their elven betters, but would that threat return in a greater form when Herazian decided to use them as a full invasion force? Perhaps a deal could be struck.

"If I deal with this Herazian for you, will you foreswear my world and leave us to deal with our own affairs?"
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:29 PM   #8
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Baba Yaga talks her way through the CIA headquarters, posing as various aides, messengers, bigwigs and visitors. She figures out which 'office' is dealing with the crisis, and that one Mr. Brian Myers is handling this particular issue. She swoops into the headquarters, and causally takes note of the situation: locations, troop deployments, a list of places Herazian has made demands to, places that have already surrendered ---

The information is good, as far as earth goes. The magical aspect is completely out of their depth. Someone got their hands on the word 'resplendian', but they don't know the history of this particular fellow, nor the strengths and weaknesses so common to resplendians. they seem to be over-obsessing on the fact that the polar sunset is exactly lined up with his ultimatium. Baba Yaga knows there isn't much behind that but the flare for the dramatic all resplendians seem to have.

Baba Yaga can speak to Mr. Myers in a guise of her choosing, or slip right back out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Nessie is at home, and getting very clear reception on several informative scenes. One crystal ball is set to the north pole. Herazian is sitting on a chunk of ice he's towed, and looking rather bored. No nukes have been launched since the first volley.

antoher globe is set to watch the US president, who is mostly giving speeches, denying requests for martial law, and doing his best to avoid public panic.

another globe is on the closed doors UN meeting. Nessie points out one delegate... who seems to think he can take on Herazian himself---

---------------------------------------------------------------------

This is of course Ward, and the UN members find his suggestion ridiculous.

"Oh, this is exactly the same" The Israeli delegate positively drips with sarcasm. "Herazian was requested by the Inuit to help them fight a war against their Canadian overlords, and he's respecting areas that are actually not part of his domain. Or maybe he was requested by... I'm not even sure how you could come up with a senario that's exactly the same. Your demand is ridiculous."

Ward is fairly sure this man is the designated 'bad cop' for the block he works at. Then other people come in and pretend to be more reasonable.

Sure enough, the Japanese Ambassador made his offer: "I'm sure we could at least make a cessation of hostilities, and refuse to aid any further uprisings. But the humans on that world are our people. We will cease attacking your people the elves, if they will promise to stop attacking the humans we have promised to protect. We will even force them to stop any wars. This is of, course, if you can truly stop this terrorist."

Ward notes that Japan has absolutely presence other than commercial on the world Elf in the first place. They'd have to convince others to take this deal. Stupid diplomats.

OCC: which avatar is currently 'on'?
------------------------------------------------

The taxi driver is suitable impressed with the gold coin. Perhaps Ngesh overpaid? She can never tell on this world. They aren't used to gods, so she's never sure to be pleased with the respect she does get or to be displeased they aren't bowing low enough.

"You from off-world? You really should learn to use the internet. Or at least turn on the TV. yesterday A god swooped in and demanded everybody on earth to bow and worship him or be destroyed. Calls himself Herazian. Vistited world leader in the world in a matter of hours. I don't know if they'll let you in the building... he glances back again. Eh, they probably will."

"Any way, he's been attacked with multiple nuclear weapons are surely some fighter planes besides, but he's taken all the hits. There's some really scary footage out there of him taking out lots of the warheads and just weathering the blast on the others."

"Some cities have riots, particularly in the developing world. Everything has stayed mostly peaceful on the US. Protesters all over the place, and you'll have to walk through some of them to get to the main building, but nothing violent yet. The protesters don't even seem to be protesting all the same thing!".

OCC: tracking rolls... +1 status, +1 charisma, +5 appearance... yes, status from wealth will carry over over in shape-shifted form. A lot of it is bearing, and flipping gold coins around like that definitely qualifies him.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:35 AM   #9
Poonbahbah

Swooping in and taking a look around she goes on to say in her accented English, "Mr. Myers I presume?" After a pause to try to establish mind reading and for Mr. Meyers to confirm his identity and maybe ask her some questions like: who she is, what is she doing here, and the like, she says, "You can call me Babushka. I'm here to help with the Resplendian. Looks like my vacation is over a little early." And the little rotund old lady in a well cut grey business suit goes on to tell him a little about herself: figure out of legend, helped a lot of warriors with grand quests, wants to keep people relatively free and under their own governance, was planning on leaving in a few months to help destroy mind controlling stones on elf to free the humans enslaved there, basically ageless and been around for a many hundreds of years.

OOC
So not so much fast talk as it is diplomacy in this case. She's trying to learn more about the invasion, what they know, what they're doing, and seeing how she can help best. Oh, and convincing Mr. Meyers not to call security and accept her help.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:59 AM   #10
LemmingLord

Bigfoot casts his epic life detection spell through the crystals, using it to identify the life patterns of the bored god and the one at the UN who claims to be able to take down the god himself so he can use detect life to find them again later. He asks if he can come back later after he is properly equipped to use Nessie's scoring crystals to help him teleport.

Bigfoot thanks Nessie with an impromptu classic rock concert, concluding with a unique Bigfoot/Nessie duet "Spring Fever."

Bigfoot can't help but talk to Nessie about old times and current affairs. At some point he will have to excuse himself to proceed with the first step in a daunting task to get a sample of the god: get good food and wine.

Bigfoot hikes to a nearby Scottish manor turned into an expensive travel lodge. He takes a long stalking spiral course that takes him to the manor's servants' entrance. He will knock in sets of three until someone opens the door out of frustration. Bigg uses his thumb claw to bust the open door's locking mechanisms.

When the cook sees no one there and then sees the cracks in the door, he suspects kids and heads out looking for mischief makers.

Bigg sneaks in, grabs several bottles of wine, wheels of cheese, plates, glasses, and wraps them gently in a table cloth.

The servant has returned in this time and makes a Scottish exclamation before yelling for backup when he sees food moving of their own accord.

Bigg puts the table cloth wrapped treasure in his extra dimensional stomach space as carefully as he can to avoid breaking the glasses. By the time the head butler arrives, Bigg has just departed through the broken servants' entrance.

Bigg returns to Nessie and, with all due careful preparation, teleports to about a mile away from Herazian.

Bigg proceeds with caution towards Herazian, using detect life to keep him on track. When Bigg gets close enough to see Herazian, he shouts, "hello! You need friend, new god? Ok i bring yum good food and drink?"

Bigg approaches with his arms stretched out in a peaceful gesture. Bigg watches to see if Herazian can see him or if Herazian is looking all about. (Ie, does Bigg think Herazian can see through his always on invisibility?).
LemmingLord is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
god slayers