Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-15-2008, 12:01 AM   #1
Dangerious P. Cats

Default The Low Tech You want

Of the 3ed Tech books my favourite was Low Tech. I even when so far as to use if for a history assignment at uni. I'm quite enthusiastic about a 4e version. What do you want to see in the updated low tech?
Old 06-15-2008, 02:18 AM   #2
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: The Low Tech You want

TL4. They took TL4 away from HT!
Old 06-15-2008, 02:31 AM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh
TL4. They took TL4 away from HT!
Most gamers would expect Low Tech to have full plate armor, and that is solidly in TL4. It darn well better have that.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:47 AM   #4
Tommi_Kovala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran
Most gamers would expect Low Tech to have full plate armor, and that is solidly in TL4. It darn well better have that.
I love full plate, early firearms and the rest of TL4 so much that I actually want a (PDF release?) GURPS: Renaissance.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:43 AM   #5
JanMaster

Mostly, I miss the customization rules for melee weapons. I know that MA has them, but I think the old low tech had better and more detailed versions. That's what I want to see.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:49 AM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanMaster
Mostly, I miss the customization rules for melee weapons. I know that MA has them, but I think the old low tech had better and more detailed versions. That's what I want to see.
Isn't there a weapon design system way out on the pipeline for e23? I know that they avoided that section from vehicles for the new VDS still in production.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:44 AM   #7
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerious P. Cats
Of the 3ed Tech books my favourite was Low Tech. I even when so far as to use if for a history assignment at uni. I'm quite enthusiastic about a 4e version. What do you want to see in the updated low tech?
Do you have to ask? Good rules for how characters can create Fine and Very Fine weapons, influenced by the TL of the character's skill (since TL3 ironworking is obviously better than TL2, and TL4 is better again).
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:10 AM   #8
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen
Do you have to ask? Good rules for how characters can create Fine and Very Fine weapons, influenced by the TL of the character's skill (since TL3 ironworking is obviously better than TL2, and TL4 is better again).
TL already affects item quality through starting wealth and income. A Struggling weaponsmith at TL2 produces less monetary value of items than a TL4 weaponsmith. I'm actually against TL-based penalties to skill use, as it looks like an innate penalty attached to a skill (since you normally don't have the option of buying up TL for it).
Old 06-15-2008, 05:58 AM   #9
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanMaster
When Sean and I discussed the rules we included in MA, he specifically made a deeper, fuller version of them a requirement for Low-Tech. Low-Tech was just a discussion item at that point, but he felt (and I agreed) that MA needed some bare-bones rules but that Low-Tech was the place to really explore the topic. So that's why you've got some of it in Martial Arts - enough for combo weapons, etc. and enough to save us a lot of space elsewhere in Chapter 6. But the rest will come later, based on our previous discussions.

I don't expect that would have changed.

Me, I want Low-Tech to be for low-tech stuff what Martial Arts is for kicking ass. Sounds kinda self-serving and egotistical maybe but I really think we nailed the target dead-center, and I'd like Low-Tech to have that same kind of impact. Something you don't need until you look at it and realize "Whoa, my game will rock on toast with this stuff at my fingertips!"
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev

Last edited by Peter V. Dell'Orto; 06-15-2008 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Grammar. I'm an English Teacher!
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:28 AM   #10
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommi_Kovala
I love full plate, early firearms and the rest of TL4 so much that I actually want a (PDF release?) GURPS: Renaissance.
We play in a Renaissance setting. That would be cool.
Luke Bunyip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabaret chicks on ice, low-tech