Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > The Gnomes of Zurich > The Industry

Old 12-25-2018, 09:17 AM   #11
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: White Wolf is out of the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardensnake View Post
The original White Wolf was controversial but also smart.
<SNIP>
The new White Wolf seems to be hamfistedly messing things up and when they do, they don't seem to know how to respond.
Remember that we are in a whole different era now than we were 20 years ago. 20 years ago you might fire off a letter to the editor. Some people were online, but the online communities were far more fragmented and disconnected from the mainstream. Today the social networks are so large and interconnected that controversy spreads like wildfire. We also seem to be in an era where some people act as if their job is to be professionally offended; in fact, some of them are bloggers, vloggers, youtubers, etc that actually do thrive off of stirring these controversies. I do wonder how well the White Wolf of the 90's would navigate the social media of the 2010's.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 11:31 AM   #12
Gardensnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Remember that we are in a whole different era now than we were 20 years ago. 20 years ago you might fire off a letter to the editor. Some people were online, but the online communities were far more fragmented and disconnected from the mainstream. Today the social networks are so large and interconnected that controversy spreads like wildfire. We also seem to be in an era where some people act as if their job is to be professionally offended; in fact, some of them are bloggers, vloggers, youtubers, etc that actually do thrive off of stirring these controversies. I do wonder how well the White Wolf of the 90's would navigate the social media of the 2010's.
Excellent points Eric. I do think that old White Wolf would have had a much more difficult time had they had to dealt with the social media of today. I do think however that they still would do better than the current White Wolf is doing. I just think the current guys are trying too hard. I don't think that they're bad people, just that they lack experience doing what they do.

William
Gardensnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:29 AM   #13
MazeMonster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Social media has given us the ingredients for a powdered lynch mob. Just add water, and you have a gang of crazies ruining it for the rest of us. Given the technology now available, I'm surprised that Bothered About Dungeons and Dragons and the PMRC haven't reconstituted.
MazeMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:31 AM   #14
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazeMonster View Post
Social media has given us the ingredients for a powdered lynch mob. Just add water, and you have a gang of crazies ruining it for the rest of us. Given the technology now available, I'm surprised that Bothered About Dungeons and Dragons and the PMRC haven't reconstituted.
Let's please keep this on the topic of White Wolf and not spin off into an unrelated and possibly explosive discussion. Thanks.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:34 AM   #15
Pmandrekar
Careful Wisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaweedbrain View Post
Looks like white wolf has had a bad year and so they are going to be closing down World of darkness.com This was sent out to subscribers of White Wolf's online book reader service. White Wolf will be folded into their parent company Paradox. Additionally, they are also looking for a brand manager
So, that's sad. I hope that they figure this all out. I have a lot of nostalgia around White Wolf games. As a 2nd year grad student, I desperately needed a break from studying for the Prelim A exams for a PhD in Genetics. I ended up walking down the street to the FLGS and picking up a copy of GURPS Basic, and GURPS Vampire:The Masquerade (3rd Ed). I gave myself 10 minutes of just looking at all of this gamer stuff I bought before shifting back to studying. Before the end of 5, my entire grad class was assembled behind me asking if I would be running a game for them when Prelims were done.

I did. I ran a long running GURPS Vampire campaign with my grad class and their respective boy/girlfriends, including my girlfriend-- now my wife-- who was also in the same department.

Great game world to play in. Wish them the best.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts"- Daniel P. Moynihan
Pmandrekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:29 AM   #16
SolemnGolem

It's a shame. White Wolf was my favorite publisher of the Ravenloft campaign setting after TSR opened up the license. Their Arthaus studio did a great job.

I'm a little surprised that Paradox has ownership of White Wolf now, although I suppose there's decent overlap between video gaming and tabletop hobby gaming.

I have tried Victoria 2 by Paradox and, frankly, I'm not smart enough to enjoy their games.
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:58 PM   #17
TheAmishStig

I don't think the games are going anywhere...betting instead that the backlash was the catalyst to finish what CCP (who owned it before Paradox) started ages ago: spinning W-W down into a holding company. I wouldn't surprise if it also means they're letting Onyx Path take over the development, rather than just doing the publishing.

Speaking of...OPP is doing well for themselves, nothing to be afraid of there. They've carved a rather solid niche for themselves, using Kickstarter for Collectors' Editions and then taking the 'standard edition' stuff print-on-demand exclusive.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:11 PM   #18
Anthony

The original reason CCP acquired WW is because they were going to make a Vampire MMO. That project eventually failed, at which point it got sold to Paradox, who I assume were also interested in the computer game rights, not the RPG rights. I suspect that shutting down WW is a sign that they aren't terribly interested in the RPG rights, but likely they'd be perfectly happy to let a third party handle the RPG rights as long as they get their cut.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:36 AM   #19
TheAmishStig

Yup.

I originally had a huge dissertation of a thing in there about the history, but couldn't find solid info about who developed what and who took over developing what at various points so ended up dropping it.

Now that you mention it, I wouldn't be surprised if part of the sale negotiations between CCP and Paradox was "No, if you want the video game you take the whole subsidiary"...and I wouldn't be surprised if spinning it down after the scandal was a value proposition thing. Cleaning up the PR mess by shutting down the in-house dev team and turning W-W into a holding company possibly took less time, effort, and maybe even layoffs than other options.

It's an "out with a whimper" for a company that used to own something like 25-30% of the RPG market, but ultimately I'm not afraid for the games themselves. Onyx Path will take good care of them, and I'm sure if Paradox ever wants to pull the plug entirely Rich will make them an offer.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:55 AM   #20
ColBosch

I'm 100% positive that everyone wanted to keep the entire IP in one package, rather than split the computer and tabletop rights. Look at what happened to BattleTech, for example.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
white wolf, wod