Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-16-2012, 01:32 AM   #1
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Last Plea For Help With Powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
Preferred point cost total: 120
This brings is to a cost of ~35 each with the alternative abilities ending up at ~7.

The character is based off of Izanagi from Japanese mythology. These are his five signature abilities based off of the three deities that come from him when he washes his face after escaping the underworld. Amaterasu comes from the left eye and is the goddess of the sun. Tsukuyomi comes from the right eye and is the god of the moon. Susanoo comes from the nose and is a powerful warrior-god of storms. The character will be a Japanese-themed warrior (more or less a samurai, but not that good). The setting is a quasi-Eberron setting. Think TL 3+2, but technology has little impact on the specific continent the characters are on now.
Related TV Tropes: Type II, Disney Anti-Hero, Martyr Without a Cause, The Leader, Combat Medic, The Red Mage.

All of the abilities should require Concentration to be held out. This is important concerning the Temporary Disadvantage the abilities are supposed to impose. Each ability is supposed to work at a short range too. No more than 10 yards away. None of the abilities need to be super powerful, but they do need to be potent enough to get by until he can buy more levels.

Amaterasu I: Burning Death (Magic, pg. 76) as an Innate Attack. This power should be extremely similar to the spell, but be able to work at a short range and be held out by concentration rather than continue touch. The power will have my special -25% limitation which imposes the One Eye disadvantage, but turns to Blindness if used with Tsukuyomi. Applicable limitations would be: All-Out, Backlash: Irritant: Moderate Pain, Costs Fatigue, and Limited Use.

Amaterasu II: Fiery defensive ability. As far as what type of defense, I'm not too sure. I'm almost thinking of having it be a wall of flames Burning Innate Attack. The power will have my special -25% limitation which imposes the One Eye disadvantage, but turns to Blindness if used with Tsukuyomi. Applicable limitations would be: Backlash: Irritant: Moderate Pain, Costs Fatigue, and Limited Use.

Tsukuyomi I: Mind-altering Affliction. While I was originally thinking of some kind of hypnotic affliction, madness would also be fitting of the moon theme. It should be something that will stop an enemy from attacking. The power will have my special -25% limitation which imposes the One Eye disadvantage, but turns to Blindness if used with Amaterasu. I feel like it should also require the target to have eye contact and maybe a certain level of IQ to work. Applicable limitations would be: Costs Fatigue, and Limited Use.

Tsukuyomi II: Healing slumber-type Affliction. I am considering going one of two ways: 1) the combat-effective second-by-second slow-heal sleep, or 2) the not combat-effective, minute-by-minute, fast-heal sleep. It only needs to be able to heal lost health. The power will have my special -25% limitation which imposes the One Eye disadvantage, but turns to Blindness if used with Amaterasu. Applicable limitations would be: Costs Fatigue, Limited Use, and Reverse Vision-Based.

Susanoo: No concrete idea yet. I was thinking of letting this attack "summon" the Three Sacred Treasures of Japan. The sword Kusanagi could be made of lightning to preserve the storm theme. The mirror Yata no Kagami could be made into a shield that deflects/reflects all missile attacks. The jewel Yasakani no Magatama could be used to call down a powerful storm of wind and rain. I'm sure they could each be created as an Ally, or maybe someone has a completely different idea of what this ability could be.
It's been over 24 hours and I've had no replies to my other thread. This has happened twice now. If it happens again, I'll consider it a lost cause. Thanks for the help thus far though! I've started a new thread so I could have my quote from the end of the last thread as the start of this one. I don't know how I could be any more detailed... Well, here we go.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:41 AM   #2
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Default Re: Last Plea For Help With Powers

What is your current idea not doing that you want it to do?

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:01 AM   #3
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
What is your current idea not doing that you want it to do?
I love my ideas. I mean... Of course... I'm a genius!
Joking aside, I am happy with my ideas. I'm just not entirely sure of how to build these. I'm "meh" when it comes to building powers, and I'm terrible at building afflictions. And for my Susanoo idea, I can only guess where to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
The place to start is usually the game-mechanical effects you're looking for. "Defensive ability" is a bit broad. Combat Reflexes? Enhanced Dodge? A damage shield? Retributive Strike? Fire resistance? All kinds of things are "defensive" and could be justified as "fiery".

So tell us more about the character. What's his schtick? What cool things do you want him to do in-game? Theme, personality, something to narrow down the near-infinite number of choices.
This is the reason why everything is so thought out. Anaraxes thought it would help people build around my ideas.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:30 AM   #4
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Am I correct in thinking that you have described these abilities' effects and would like for someone to suggest builds for them? With complete point totals?

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:39 AM   #5
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
Am I correct in thinking that you have described these abilities' effects and would like for someone to suggest builds for them? With complete point totals?
Yep! Like I said, I'm bad at building powers, afflictions, etc.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:34 AM   #6
trooper6

You might get a better response if you made the powers yourself first, then posted what you came up with and asked for constructive criticism. This way you are asking fellow forumites to help you rather than asking fellow forumites to do your work for you.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
Anaraxes

Sounds like you're pretty far along with most of them. Just pick some exact limitations and do the arithmetic. It's not like there's only one right way to do an ability.

Amaterasu II: The Wall enhancement will let the character create hexes full of fire, which may be exactly what you want. If you want the "fire shield that hurts you when you hit me", you might want Reflexive instead.

Tsukuyomi I: There's a handy list of conditions you can Afflict starting on B428. I'd suggest Hallucinating or Daze. Eye contact is Sense-Based.

Susanoo: Allies are intelligent and self-willed NPCs. You could have items that are Allies. But quite possibly they're Gadgets instead -- "ordinary" magic items that let their owner use some ability.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
munin

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
You might get a better response if you made the powers yourself first, then posted what you came up with and asked for constructive criticism. This way you are asking fellow forumites to help you rather than asking fellow forumites to do your work for you.
Yep. It sounds like you already know exactly what you want, so take a stab at it and we'll take a look at it.

Check Writing It Up (GURPS Powers, p. 115) to see what an ability write-up should look like. That will help us all be on the same page.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #9
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
It's been over 24 hours and I've had no replies to my other thread. This has happened twice now. If it happens again, I'll consider it a lost cause.
For the record, many of the people who were helping you, or who might be able to help you, are only able to check the forums on certain days, sometimes once a week or even less frequently. "Over 24 hours" is hardly enough time to consider something a lost cause. I recommend that, in general, you be prepared to give it a week (or at least 3-4 days as a bare minimum) for a useful response. After that, you may want to consider rephrasing or updating your question, and replying to your own thread.

However, note that the reply must be useful; it has to be a genuine addendum or clarification. We don't permit "bump" posts -- those made only for the sake of moving the thread to the first page of posts. <MOD> And Raekai, do note that the rule against bump posts most certainly applies to bump threads like this one. Consider this a friendly warning. We'll keep this thread alive, though; everyone, carry on. </MOD>

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #10
Anders

I would add that if you want to see how a pro exploits GURPS flexibility to the full, I recommend Psionic Powers.

Tags
affliction, innate attack, moon, powers, sun