Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Pyramid

Old 11-18-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
demonsbane

Default Pyramid #3/25 Epic Magic - released

It's here!

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:26 AM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Pyramid #3/25 Epic Magic - released

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
It's here!
Yep and I was pretty happy with it. The most epic feel was probably David Pulver's articles. the Astrolab and other thing was certainly epic in scope but I d'dint have a chance to read them yet. And there more over the top.
The article on Quartermaster mages I dont know if I would call that epic but was nice to see and something we can use more of.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:40 PM   #3
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
The article on Quartermaster mages I dont know if I would call that epic but was nice to see and something we can use more of.
If I'm understanding the concept, the idea is that it's the kind of information you need when you're running an epic "magical land X vs. magical land Y" war. Like, the other articles are about the epic ideas themselves, while the Quartermaster Mage one was support for running epic battles involving magic and wizards and all that.

Or, to put it another way, you can have a floating castle in the sky, but you still need someone to dump out the chamberpots. :)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Or, to put it another way, you can have a floating castle in the sky, but you still need someone to dump out the chamberpots. :)
LOL ok I can see that. And like I said we need more of those anyhow.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:05 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

I liked the Essential Spells article, it was put right to use in my current game. David twisted a super cool idea when he used the GURPS Spaceships series like he did. I am sooo using that Juggernaut somehow in my current campaign.

I also really dug the article o Apollo, it had a ton of info while being vague enough to fit wherever you might need it.

Overall a really great article.

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:10 AM   #6
rogersd

I felt that the floating castle made an interesting setting for an adventure. You can ditch the magic academy, or at least set that in the castles past and use it as a setting for an adventure that would allow it to become the PC's hidden floating base to rest and recover.

Articles like this certainly demonstrate the flexibility of Gurps products. Well done.

Dave.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:53 AM   #7
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersd View Post
I felt that the floating castle made an interesting setting for an adventure. You can ditch the magic academy, or at least set that in the castles past and use it as a setting for an adventure that would allow it to become the PC's hidden floating base to rest and recover.

Articles like this certainly demonstrate the flexibility of Gurps products. Well done.
Yep. Nothing less than a Storm Giant in a Flying Castle between the Clouds in the Sky! Awesome.

[whimsical] It's utopian, but this David L. Pulver's work deserves a cool oil painting along the style lines of Jeff Easley or Larry Elmore, and besides this is another reason for being mad around while waiting for Low-Tech Companion 2: Weapons and Warriors: I can't wait to stat the giant with the Scaling Rules that are waiting inside. DF 13: Monsters 1 could have some interesting clue, too. [/whimsical]

I'm very interested too in the Essential Spells article. It was time for showing in an official way some of what can be accomplished with the "standard spell as skill system" of GURPS Magic along with some of the tools of Thaumatology. Kudos to Antoni Ten!

I've not read the other articles yet, though. I just jumped for glancing these two articles that instantaneously caught my attention and I have the others waiting. But I feel that they are going to be interesting, too, making an impressive Pyramid #3/25 issue.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:20 PM   #8
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale View Post
North Haverbrook Where the Monorail is King!
Er, is there some context I'm missing here?

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:39 PM   #9
Kale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Er, is there some context I'm missing here?
That was extremely odd. I was trying to post this to another thread. I think I may have hit the wrong button or some such mishap. Sorry!

Regarding Epic Magic; I liked the issue. Particularly interesting was the idea of Epic Songs, and the Toymaker adventure hooks could make for a truly Epic campaign. One thing I'd like to know; what devilishness could you get up to with the world machine once you had it? There are all the worlds Joonas created still sitting in it but you'd have to be pretty amazing to be able to create anything new. That means you are stuck with trying to manipulate the existing worlds in the machine. Given the machine's ability to stop, start, or accelerate time in a world you could still do quite a bit. Overall though, how could someone who found the machine use/abuse it? (big limitation is anything taken out of a world vanishes after a short period of time- how would those demons invade?)

Last edited by Kale; 11-21-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Kale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:28 PM   #10
J. Edward Tremlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale View Post
One thing I'd like to know; what devilishness could you get up to with the world machine once you had it?
I'd find a world with suitable creatures, create a breeding program, fast-forward a hundred years and then have them tithe soldiers to the main game world to be used as shock troops.

Then I'd teleport those troops around the world, have them conquer according to my desire. And when it comes to holding territory I'd see that fresh replacements are rotated in every 28 days to make sure they don't vanish in an untimely manner.
It is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of the Living God (Heb. 10:31)

"Or the light that never, never warms" (Boc. 6:55)

Read SPYGOD. Behold my Linked In

Buy my (SJ Games) stuff.
J. Edward Tremlett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pyramid 3/25