Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-31-2023, 02:24 AM   #11
Farmer

Default Re: Taking a weapon after grappling it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburr0003 View Post
It further states that the -2 doesn't apply to fencing weapons and since Karate and Judo have the fencing rules applied to them, I'd apply the same ruling to them for disarming.
That's an interesting one. I can see a reason for allowing it (the dexterity of a hand versus a weapon, and that aligns with fencing weapons), on the other hand, you're knocking something either harder or sharper (or both) than your hand/arm so that might be a reason to keep the -2. If you are parrying other unarmed attacks, then perhaps that's more reasonable if you want cinematic unarmed combat in particular.

I'm undecided on that one.
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 01:19 PM   #12
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburr0003 View Post
Now, you're right in that it should be addressed distinctly in the Unarmed Combat section, but Basic pretty much does covers it if you hunt around a bit.
Thanks for the pointer.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 01:34 PM   #13
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
Since you're not taking the weapon, just knocking it away, I don't see why not. It's certainly a trope of movies to kick a gun out of someone's hand, and that's basically a leg parry. However, it would have to meet the normal requirements for leg parry.
Kicking a weapon out of someone's hand is semi-cinematic. Realistically, it would only work if you kick the weapon hard enough to cripple it, forcing the gunman to drop the weapon. Possibly, the kick just inflicts enough pain to the hand that the gunman drops the weapon involuntarily. More likely, the kick just knocks the weapon out of line - a basic leg parry. Since kicks are slower and easier to defend against than hand strikes, you have to be incredibly fast and strong to pull it off.

I'd allow it, but the -2 penalty should apply, both for the slightly slower speed of the attack and the reduced precision you get from a kick vs. a grappling hand strike.
Old 01-31-2023, 11:04 PM   #14
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Kicking a weapon out of someone's hand is semi-cinematic. Realistically, it would only work if you kick the weapon hard enough to cripple it, forcing the gunman to drop the weapon. Possibly, the kick just inflicts enough pain to the hand that the gunman drops the weapon involuntarily.
It all depends on the strength of the grip and the force of the kick and where on the weapon you kick it, since kicking near the tip of longer weapons would have more leverage.

Since the classic disarm is "Striking At Weapons" that is exactly what we're talking about.

The only thing I don't like is the "ST or DX" policy since obviouslt DX and ST should synergize in attempting or defending against this.

That's why I like always making it DX-based and then having ST-based modifiers from Technical Grappling
Old 02-04-2023, 01:19 AM   #15
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
It all depends on the strength of the grip and the force of the kick and where on the weapon you kick it, since kicking near the tip of longer weapons would have more leverage.
If you're talking about using a kick to disarm an attacker wielding a melee weapon things are different. As you said, that would use the RAW "Striking at Weapons" mechanics.