Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 12-02-2010, 06:25 PM   #1
malachi666

Default Origins or Design Base

OK,

So I have been obsessing over IN in recent weeks. I have read through the Main, Angelic, and Infernal player's guides. I am not sure what I will read next.

What I can't help thinking about is where the ideas for the various bands and choirs came from. Some are obvious like Seraph and Cherubs.

What was the basis for the Kyrotates (also how is the actually pronounced?), the Malakim?

Anyways I will post more questions here as I think of them...
malachi666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
Jason

Default Re: Origins or Design Base

Most of the names for things in this game seem to come from actual old books on angelology and demonology. I thought it was really neat to read that Nybbas is a name for a demon traditionally associated with storytelling, for instance.

I'm not sure where 'kyriotate' comes from, though ... not seeing non-IN references to it online... (EDIT to add: But "dominations" are indeed a Choir that comes up a lot.)
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:51 PM   #3
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

"Malak" is Hebrew for "messenger," which is the same thing "angel" means in Greek. It's the usual singular in Hebrew for "Malakim." (The full term used for an angel is "Mal'akh Elohim," or "Messenger of God.") "Shedim," if I remember right, is the generic Hebrew word for demons.

Seraphim, Cherubim, Ofanim and Malakim are all names that have been traditionally used in Hebrew for angels or types of angels. Elohim, besides being a name of God Himself, can also mean "lords" generically and is sometimes used to refer to angels.

Bal, if I remember correctly, is a negative Hebrew prefix, so Balseraph would be something like anti-Seraph.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
Andygal

Wikipedia informs me that "Kyrios" is classical Greek for god, lord, or master and is apparently used frequently to refer to Jesus in the early Greek versions of the NT.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
Rocket Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andygal View Post
Wikipedia informs me that "Kyrios" is classical Greek for god, lord, or master and is apparently used frequently to refer to Jesus in the early Greek versions of the NT.
Good point! The Greek Orthodox Church still uses that formula, usually to refer to God directly: Kyrie Eleison (pardon any mispellings) is "God have mercy on us," usually paired with Christe Eleison, or "Christ have mercy on us."

Old 12-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #6
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
"Malak" is Hebrew for "messenger," which is the same thing "angel" means in Greek. It's the usual singular in Hebrew for "Malakim."
To paraphrase Terry Pratchett: Malakim use a lot of body language and they like to shout.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:04 AM   #7
Jennifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
"Malak" is Hebrew for "messenger," which is the same thing "angel" means in Greek. It's the usual singular in Hebrew for "Malakim."
Really? Huh, learn something new every day. I'd always assumed that it was derived from "Melech" meaning "king". (Like in "melech ha olam" = "king of the universe".)
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:40 PM   #8
Rocket Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
Really? Huh, learn something new every day. I'd always assumed that it was derived from "Melech" meaning "king". (Like in "melech ha olam" = "king of the universe".)
Well, I suppose Hebrew could have punsters, too. :-) (Especially since the Choir's teritary In Nomine name is "The Kings.")

More seriously, one word may be derived from the other. From what I can find, Malak, when not used for angels, most commonly referred to a king's envoy/messenger.

Last edited by Rocket Man; 12-04-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #9
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Malak Habbalah, if I recall correctly, are listed in one of the appendices of Gustav Davidson's A Dictionary of Angels. I think it was in a "scary/punishing" context, too. I believe I also found a possible source for Mercurians in that book, too. It's really excellent.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:47 AM   #10
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Most of the names for things in this game seem to come from actual old books on angelology ...
One in particular. I've not had the pleasure (or the time actually) to read him in the original, but the choirs of angels in general use comes from pseudo-Dionysius the Areopagite in the 4th or 5th century.

http://orthodoxwiki.org/Angel

I have a lot of fun with the differences between pDA and IN canon, letting my sorcerer follow the former and the in-game reality be the latter.

Poking around the web's more esoteric sites you find some interesting 'facts' about angels--seraphim have six wings, for example.

Demonology is much more confused and diverse, and I applaud the editors of IN for making any sense of it at all! I've found hundreds of names and hardly a band among them.

Esoterica is my hobby, you see.

Tags
meta