Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-03-2016, 11:02 PM   #61
The_Ryujin

Default Re: GURB- The Generic Unoriginal Roleplaying Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale View Post
Very nice! It's good to see some variety in the Gauss weapon types, particularly Gauss weapons firing full caliber bullets instead of the small darts shown in UT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Yeah was a different direction than the 4mm standard in IT and Traveler.
Yeah, I wanted to break the stereotype that all gauss guns need to be dart throwers. Flechette make poor general purpose rounds and that would realistically limit them to being niche weapons.

Though the choice did bite me in the butt and make the write up twice as hard to pull. The aspect ratio of a round has an effect on a weapons half damage range in the formula GURPS uses in house... the problem was I wasn't 100% sure by what factor changing the aspect ratio would change the half damage range so I spent hours crunching numbers till I got something that at lest seemed to give me similar results heh.

Oh and Refplace, got something for ya to check out latter. I'll PM it to you as soon as I can a chance to relax, watch a little youtube and unwind from a long, hard day at work.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:41 PM   #62
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ryujin View Post
Yeah, I wanted to break the stereotype that all gauss guns need to be dart throwers. Flechette make poor general purpose rounds and that would realistically limit them to being niche weapons.

Oh and Refplace, got something for ya to check out latter. I'll PM it to you as soon as I can a chance to relax, watch a little youtube and unwind from a long, hard day at work.
I think there better than Niche but yeah slugthrowers more damage against unarmored targets vs. the 4mm rounds. Your higher caliber seem to have lower AP but more damage so kinda the opposite and more on par.
Though with that high caliber can probably use standard ammo modifiers for more variety.
I really think you should do this as a Pyramid article, several of your articles would be good fro a tech issue.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:37 PM   #63
The_Ryujin

Need protection and need to look good while doing it? Want peace of mind but don't want to look like your a walking tank? Need the prospect of death blocked from your life? Then you need Death-Blockers Ltd. for all your armoring needs!

Death-Blockers: Block Death. Look Good.

@Refplace: Heh, gotten that before. I do have what I hope will be a Pyramid article in the works atm. Right now I'm trying to see if I can bring the crunch down a few levels to make things easier for the readers while not losing any real detail in the progress. I'm planing on using it to stat up a future post as a test bed for it and if that works out I'll be able to head into the play testing phase.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
Old 10-04-2016, 01:46 PM   #64
Refplace

Quote:
Need protection and need to look good while doing it? Want peace of mind but don't want to look like your a walking tank? Need the prospect of death blocked from your life? Then you need Death-Blockers Ltd. for all your armoring needs!

Death-Blockers: Block Death. Look Good.
Nice, I especially like these wear you personalize them with a company.
And the name and tag line are neat.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 10-04-2016, 03:40 PM   #65
The_Ryujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Nice, I especially like these wear you personalize them with a company.
And the name and tag line are neat.
Thanks man.

I think that adding character to your gear is important. When making your own campaign the one of the problems you run into is often players will rush in to get the gear that has the best numbers rather then the ones the suit them. This is because the gear you make for your game isn't going to have the an emotional resonance with them like gear based off of real world examples or based on an established franchise. By adding a little back story and flavor to things gives your players more to work off of and they might start to pick gear based more off its description then just its raw numbers. Of course while doing this, you have to be extra careful to make sure your write up and stats line up with one another heh.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:45 PM   #66
The_Ryujin

Holy cow, it's GURPSday again already!

This week I cover how to design your very own totally not lightsabers!

Old 10-06-2016, 10:48 AM   #67
Emerald Cat

Quote:
Holy cow, it's GURPSday again already!

This week I cover how to design your very own totally not lightsabers!
This looks good. My only critique is that you didn't include SM, DR, and HP for the first gen lightsaber's power cord in its notes. Deriving this information in play when someone decides to attack the power cord would slow down the game. So it would be better to figure it out ahead of time and store it in the notes for easy lookup.
Emerald Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:26 AM   #68
The_Ryujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Cat View Post
This looks good. My only critique is that you didn't include SM, DR, and HP for the first gen lightsaber's power cord in its notes. Deriving this information in play when someone decides to attack the power cord would slow down the game. So it would be better to figure it out ahead of time and store it in the notes for easy lookup.
True, I'll add in an addendum covering how to stat power cords.

Thanks for the feed back!

Old 10-06-2016, 04:47 PM   #69
Emerald Cat

Quote:
True, I'll add in an addendum covering how to stat power cords.

Thanks for the feed back!
You're welcome.

SM -12 seems a bit low to me, though. SM is based off of the longest dimension of an object. You gave the power cord a length of 1.5 yards. The power cord should therefore have SM -1.

I'd consider shortening the power cord. 1 yard of power cord should be enough to allow the use of the Force Zweihänder without hampering the wielder's movements too much. Keep in mind that this is about half the height of a SM 0 humanoid. Using this shorter power cord, we have a SM -2. This makes the power cord more annoying to hit, helping make up for its fragility.
Emerald Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 04:52 PM   #70
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Cat View Post
You're welcome.

SM -12 seems a bit low to me, though. SM is based off of the longest dimension of an object. You gave the power cord a length of 1.5 yards. The power cord should therefore have SM -1.

I'd consider shortening the power cord. 1 yard of power cord should be enough to allow the use of the Force Zweihänder without hampering the wielder's movements too much. Keep in mind that this is about half the height of a SM 0 humanoid. Using this shorter power cord, we have a SM -2. This makes the power cord more annoying to hit, helping make up for its fragility.
Another -1 for pencil thin IMHO.
My GURPS Wiki entries

Tags
blog, blogs, gurps day