Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 06-18-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
tHEhERETIC

Default Need an opinion on a call (attunement duration)

Namely, does the attunement "Fog of War" end with the vessel death of the The War demon who put it in play? Or does it remain until...when? The rules, as usual, are clear as mud. Which isn't a bad thing as it lets me play them for dramatic effect. I just don't have any particular outcome in mind--either way would be beautifully dramatic.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:11 PM   #2
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: Need an opinion on a call (attunement duration)

Since it doesn't seem to require any continuous involvement by the demon, I'd say it lingers even after he's gone. Kind of like firing a poison-gas shell behind the lines ... even if you get the sheller, you still have to deal with the gunk he unloaded on you.

It makes sense in a practical way, too. If you were a demon that had just gotten everyone to confuse friend and foe, would you stick around?

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:47 AM   #3
JCD

Wouldn't that be retreating?
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:04 AM   #4
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
Oh dear, you're right. Which puts me back at square one.

But if not at vessel death, when? A couple of rounds? Until the affected party gets solid evidence that he is not in fact facing a foe?

Dammit...
Old 06-19-2009, 08:23 AM   #5
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
Hmmm, good point. OK, let me rephrase that last paragraph. A demon who can cause friend and foe to be confused on the battlefield is at more than the usual risk of being toasted himself. If you're Baal, wouldn't you want to make sure the music stuck around, even if the Band no longer played on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
But if not at vessel death, when? A couple of rounds? Until the affected party gets solid evidence that he is not in fact facing a foe?
Good question. Maybe roll as though for a resonance, with the check digit determining how many rounds after the demon's death the Fog of War lasts? A Divine Intervention, of course, would lift the fog right away, while an Infernal Intervention would extend the duration to minutes instead of rounds.

And yes, I would say that solid evidence of who you're fighting (or simply breaking off contact completely) would also be enough to lift the Fog.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"

Last edited by Rocket Man; 06-19-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attunements, in nomine