Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 09-29-2018, 07:23 AM   #1
Warphead's Battlewaggon

Default Realistic oversized vehicle/tanks/plane stats

Started playing cw again after many years. Been promoted and spend many hours on station at sea with little to do but observe the odd alarm check or crew coverage. Rec room and winter seas are not helpful in playing warhammer 40K, so car wars maps, counters, Blu Tack, zip-lock bags and pen&paper are ideal.
Noticed going through my books and downloaded materials that in relation to actual real life vehicle information on Wikipedia, most of larger cws building rules are extremely off in regards to max weight, spaces, power plant loads, chassis layouts and capacity of things like transporter trailers being able to care cars and so forth. Have any of these issues been addressed during my long absence & is there anywhere I can find updated rules?
Find it hard to believe after all this time that tiny Minibuses still require ten huge oversized wheels despite 50 years of material improvement and strength increases. Also cant really recall a 30 foot bus in either Canada, Ireland, Britain, France or Germany have more than two axles in twenty or more years.
Warphead's Battlewaggon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:48 PM   #2
43Supporter

Default Re: Realistic oversized vehicle/tanks/plane stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warphead's Battlewaggon View Post
Started playing cw again after many years. Been promoted and spend many hours on station at sea with little to do but observe the odd alarm check or crew coverage.
If it's not a trade secret: What is it exactly you're doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warphead's Battlewaggon View Post
Noticed going through my books and downloaded materials that in relation to actual real life vehicle information on Wikipedia, most of larger cws building rules are extremely off in regards to max weight, spaces, power plant loads, chassis layouts and capacity of things like transporter trailers being able to care cars and so forth. Have any of these issues been addressed during my long absence & is there anywhere I can find updated rules?
Not really -- it would require a "frame-off rebuild" of the rules; plus, can you imagine the cosmic nightmare of a "proper" 3500-rate dually pickup in an arena?

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:32 AM   #3
swordtart

Rig/Trailer max weights are not too bad if you assume the "Bridge Formula" for axle limits. Recall that over-sized vehicles are expected to be travelling the less well maintained roads of the future.

Spaces are odd as there isn't a single value for what it represents (it goes spectacularly wrong for fuel tanks for example). If each space were considered 1 cubic yard, things don;t work out too bad. Of course there are plenty of things that are 1 space that shouldn't take up that much space (but you can hand wave that off as protective packing, maintenance space, support struts and poor space efficiency).

10-Wheelers / Busses are way off. I suggest you assume the max load is for the cab only and allow double that again for the carrier (which brings you closer to real-life axle limits).

To allow for modern tyre combinations we allow super singles (which replace a duallie with a single larger tyre), you can either make them like real super singles (as a modification to each duallie pair i.e. replace two tyres with
one that has the same weight and DP's as a single but double the cost) or just combine two normal tyres into one with double the stats in all areas (so, twice the weight and cost but twice the DPs etc.). Either one doesn't bend the rules that far so remembering it isn't that hard.

Remember that OS vehicles can target the top armour of virtually all vehicles with their side weapons as well as any turrets (usually at -2 for being out of arc). This can make them really dangerous (as they should be).

Military Tanks and planes went a bit too far in my books, it was all about producing "consumer" level weaponry which hand-waved away some of the poor weapon and equipment performance needed to make the game work. Consider the cost of a CW guided weapon vs the cost of a real guided weapon and you can see why it is not so much "guided" as "cajoled".
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:10 AM   #4
Warphead's Battlewaggon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
If it's not a trade secret: What is it exactly you're doing?
Can say that I'm a Senior Chief Engineer on support/science vessels in eastern north Atlantic and North Sea. One of fleet is stuck in harbor for foreseeable future which means that there are two of us on each remaining ship. Basically five of us doing the job of three with leave accounted for. They're loath to let any of us go as skillsets for some of our duties are very specialized.
Hence two to four hours of rush twice a week for me and then the tedium for rest the duty hours. Poker, Bridge and many modern computer games leave me cold - and that's just what the below decks teams seem to occupy themselves with as were overstaffed. Internet connections away from land are ridiculously slow, thus many pastimes arent available.
Dice are always available, graphic programs & hitek printers provide road sections vehicles, road furniture and so on. Perfect for car wars with only the larger maps tricky, so I've a number of duplicate packs left on two vessels I frequent. If we where static like oil rigs - which Ive also been active on - 40K would be a big thing for older gamers downtime. Not really possible in a force nine gale with 19 degrees of roll heh.