Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 01-28-2017, 09:30 AM   #121
jason taylor

Default Re: tip-offs for future-girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
She's overly stressed or disgusted by cigarette smoke or vehicle exhaust fumes.

When shown the fantastic new features on the latest smartphone, she noticeably represses a sigh and puts on a fake display of interest (although non-technophiles might react the same way).
What if she's an antiquarian?
Old 01-28-2017, 10:08 AM   #122
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
"The World" that's mad about soccer might be better described as something like the "euro-culture zone". This distinction might apply to many political matters as well.
Several of the high population nations of Africa seem to have soccer riots, and it's the most or second most popular sport in China (it gets larger stadium and TV audiences, but apparently more of them actually play basketball, which I guess makes sense, you need a larger open field for football and China is a country full of high density cities). America really is the odd one out on this one.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:44 AM   #123
Warlockco

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
No doubt you can explain the rules to cricket and lacrosse while you're explaining the rules to baseball.

The tip-off here is "does not understand the rules to soccer" - that's the sport that almost everyone in this time knows
Only problem with these reference to sports rules, is assuming a person has even a passing interest in the rules of how a sport is played.

I know in general the "basics" of variety of sports, but to actually explain, I would be at a lost, especially if someone wanted to set up an "authentic" game.
Warlockco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:47 AM   #124
Warlockco

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Several of the high population nations of Africa seem to have soccer riots, and it's the most or second most popular sport in China (it gets larger stadium and TV audiences, but apparently more of them actually play basketball, which I guess makes sense, you need a larger open field for football and China is a country full of high density cities). America really is the odd one out on this one.
To my understanding the parts of the world that are "mad" for Soccer/Football is Latin America, Europe, and Africa.
Warlockco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:12 AM   #125
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
What if she's an antiquarian?
I think a lot of what we'd be looking for is based on a number of assumptions about what "a girl I work with" would be like in the first place, and then variations from that norm. I think we generally presume she's younger and from the dominant extant culture, and would have all the general knowledge and cultural baggage expected thereof. Thus, we're looking for tip-offs, not outright glaring evidence, that she might be out-time. Other explanations will probably be offered for many weirdnesses, but on balance, after working with her for a while, these won't be sufficient explanation.

If she was a future-born retro-tech antiquarian, for example, then she could be obsessively overly interested in minor variations on the new iteration of iPhone, even more so than your standard tech-head. In my experience, I've only known one or two people who get bed-wettingly, queue-up-before-opening-time excited about a new iPhone, so our future-girl would stand out in that respect.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:27 PM   #126
Irish Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
...does not understand rules to baseball...
Or understands the wrong rules to baseball.

(In the game Fallout 4, set in the ruins of Boston some 210 years after a nuclear war, there's a settlement in the old Fenway Park called Diamond City. One of the vendors there sells "swatters", antique baseball bats often modified to be even more effective weapons. You can ask him about the history of baseball - he believes it was a blood sport in which two teams attacked each other with "swatters", and the team that survived the match won. You get the opportunity then to explain baseball to him, but he likes his version better.)

If you break the laws of God, you go to Hell.

If you break the laws of Physics, you go to Sweden and receive a Nobel Prize.
Irish Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:19 PM   #127
(E)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Wolf View Post
Or understands the wrong rules to baseball.
A variation on that idea, as sports progress the various rules change. You have someone who thinks something is worth more points or less, deserves a foul etc. Or if the traveler is a sports buff, "before the X rule ruined the game"

Rugby has changed points for trys, Basketball once used baskets (with bottoms), equipment changes too.

Other tip offs might include Very specific criticisms of programs like Dr Who. "Doesn't work like that" or the inverse.
(E) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:40 PM   #128
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlockco View Post
To my understanding the parts of the world that are "mad" for Soccer/Football is Latin America, Europe, and Africa.
It's also the most popular sport in Asia by a wide margin.

Four out of five of the most populous continents. North America (American Football) and Australia (Aussie Rules Football) are the clear outliers.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:10 PM   #129
Flyndaran
Untagged

Football is super popular here in the U.S., but I know next to nothing about it. I tried learning about it once, but my eyes glazed over and my brain locked up. Some things are just too boring to learn. For me, sports is one of those things.

The problem would be if she makes declarative statements about rules that don't exist. Nearly everyone will forgive an unsure person of mistakes. But emphatically stating things one knows is wrong will get under people's skin and invoke confrontations.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:24 PM   #130
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
It's also the most popular sport in Asia by a wide margin.
As a whole, but not so much individually - unlike Europe or Latin America it's often the second most popular sport in Asian countries, it's just second to a different sport in each (see that basketball in China, but it's beaten out for spectators by baseball in Japan, cricket in India, muy thai in Thailand, and occasionally trades out the top slot with Badminton in Indonesia). On the other hand it's usually coming in 2nd to Australian Rules Football in Australia for spectators or revenue in recent years, though it loses the top slot by a wider margin there. There's a reason people think the US (where some years it struggles to beat tennis for number 5) is the odd case here.