Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-30-2014, 08:14 AM   #21
Figleaf23
Banned

Default Re: [Basic/Powers] Ally group with average point value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
... Averaging allies, dependents, and enemies is a variant rule I use in my campaigns (for about 5 years now) and have had no issue with. It feels thematically appropriate to me, but might be abused by some players. I personally don't tolerate trait abuse and my players don't do it unless I ask them to (for playtesting) so you're mileage may vary. That said, perhaps a small enhancement may be in order, something along the lines of +20% or so.
Vastly underpriced IMO, especially in combination with allowing variations on the sheets. There's already a RAW way to release a build from a constraining rule that I don't see a need to ignore: Cosmic.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:23 AM   #22
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: [Basic/Powers] Ally group with average point value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I want to make sure my point here is clear: I would, without additional cost, allow variation of some traits of multiple allies. Say, up to the same amount as they are built on. So if they are built on 25% of your points and you are a 200 points character, then each ally is 50 points and might have up 13 points worth of traits that are different. That only makes sense unless you've got a group of robots or a animal swarm or something. I might also allow a group of allies to have multiple different traits as long as they are based on the same template. So, 6 highwaymen might be very different characters indeed! Averaging allies, dependents, and enemies is a variant rule I use in my campaigns (for about 5 years now) and have had no issue with. It feels thematically appropriate to me, but might be abused by some players. I personally don't tolerate trait abuse and my players don't do it unless I ask them to (for playtesting) so you're mileage may vary. That said, perhaps a small enhancement may be in order, something along the lines of +20% or so.
IMO, some minor variations are perfectly fine, especially since the GM is the one doing the designing. Making them all exactly the same only looks good as a timesaver, rather than as a balancing necessity.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote