Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-25-2014, 04:12 PM   #1
entitivity

Default Breaking concentration + compartmentalized mind

If a creature with compartmentalized mind is concentrating with one of his compartments, and is attacked, does the attack have the potential to break his concentration? If so, how does that resolve?
entitivity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:33 PM   #2
Figleaf23
Banned

Default Re: Breaking concentration + compartmentalized mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by entitivity View Post
If a creature with compartmentalized mind is concentrating with one of his compartments, and is attacked, does the attack have the potential to break his concentration?
I'd say yes.

Quote:
If so, how does that resolve?
As if there were no compartments. Disrupting concentration is something done to you, not by you. There's nothing in the trait description that says having a compartment frees the other compartment from environmental influence. If you wanted to have a structure where there's a responsive compartment and a deep compartment, I think you'd have to pay extra and I'd look toward Reflexive and Second Nature enhancements for a guideline.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:59 PM   #3
David Johnston2

Quote:
If a creature with compartmentalized mind is concentrating with one of his compartments, and is attacked, does the attack have the potential to break his concentration? If so, how does that resolve?
I think taking damage would have the potential to disrupt concentration. Dodging if it was handled by the other compartment would not.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:26 AM   #4
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I think taking damage would have the potential to disrupt concentration. Dodging if it was handled by the other compartment would not.
This sounded right to me, but then I wondered... Did we ever ascertain if pain/shock penalties applied to compartments not in control of the body?
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:12 PM   #5
entitivity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
This sounded right to me, but then I wondered... Did we ever ascertain if pain/shock penalties applied to compartments not in control of the body?
This was my thought exactly. Reading through comments on the GURPS forum, everyone seemed to treat one compartment as "controlling the body". But it wasn't clear whether only the compartment controlling the body was susceptible to shock. I'm still not sure that it's clear.
entitivity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:03 PM   #6
Varyon

To the best of my knowledge, CM grants no protection to distractions and the like - all it does is give you an extra Concentrate Maneuver each round. You could certainly modify it to, say, ignore distractions from pain/damage (which is arguably something like High Pain Threshold, limited to only work for the CM).

Basically, to figure out effects, just treat the character as if all he did was use Concentrate last round. The exception would be if your ability can be disrupted by making an Active Defense, but you used a Maneuver other than Concentrate that allows for such, in which case you can defend without risking breaking the Concentrate.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:37 PM   #7
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
To the best of my knowledge, CM grants no protection to distractions and the like - all it does is give you an extra Concentrate Maneuver each round.
No, it gives you mental coordination that in effect lets you act as if you have two minds. As a result of that, it includes the benefit of an added mental maneuovre each turn, but it is not only that.

However the trait indeed says nothing about one or the other mind being somehow firewalled by the other one.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:30 PM   #8
David Johnston2

Quote:
This was my thought exactly. Reading through comments on the GURPS forum, everyone seemed to treat one compartment as "controlling the body". But it wasn't clear whether only the compartment controlling the body was susceptible to shock. I'm still not sure that it's clear.
Controlling the body is one thing and that's why I wouldn't disrupt concentration for physical actions taken. Being cut off from all perceptions is another and if the compartment is cut off from all perceptions that will take away more utility than it adds.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:37 PM   #9
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Controlling the body is one thing and that's why I wouldn't disrupt concentration for physical actions taken. Being cut off from all perceptions is another and if the compartment is cut off from all perceptions that will take away more utility than it adds.
I think you're probably right. I was just struck by a sudden uncertainty of whether an official ruling had been made ITR.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote