Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-12-2014, 04:42 PM   #21
phayman53

Default Re: Ultimate equipment for a Supers campaign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Fragmentation damage is in all examples I can think of a trivial function of warhead diameter. Something like 1d per 20mm.
Thanks, that helps! In that case , the damage should be 6pi with 1d-1 [1d-3 cut] cr ex follow-up. Could also be [1d-4 cut] if you want to round down instead of up, but up is a few thousanths closer.
phayman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:02 AM   #22
Wavefunction

Quote:
Looking it over, you probably should go with the Kriss Super in those instances where you want an SMG, but generally concealable pistols are better if you need to hide your guns and rifles are better if you don't, so I don't know how much I'd worry about it.
Okay, thanks, I think you're probably right, the SMG is a dead end. Unless I suppose for some reason I really want a weapon I can wield one handed.

Quote:
Do you all think I did the math right on this and made the right assumptions where there were no rules?
Your post seems to agree with the calculation I did for a .700 NE round. Which by the way is about 4d for an SAPHEC round, and 3d-1 [1d-1] for an SAPHE round. :)

It's a shame there's only one gun in the table that chambers that round...
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:33 AM   #23
DanHoward

I'd probably have two completely different kits: "assault" and "stealth". The first would include assault rifles, grenades, heavy body armour, etc. The second would be for high security places that are likely to search me, so I'd need everything to be inconspicuous such as concealed body armour, disassembled or repurposed weapons, lockpicks, shaped charges, etc.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:09 AM   #24
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Then you put a pair of shell holders on the butt of the gun and Enchant them as Cornucopias. You'll have a never-ending supply of ammo and with your Skills/Perk the ability to reload in just one second. You're definitely off to a good start come the Zombie Apocalypse.

Then you add more enchantments. +1 Puissance to bring you to a nice 2D per pellet and Penetrating weapon to keep light armor from stopping your attacks. The piece de resistance would be Flaming Missiles. Not only do you get the +2 damage to each pellet but firing double-barreled flaming shotgun blasts ought to be give you good bonuses to your Intimidation skill. :)

Consider other cornucopia items too. Take a $20 MKIII concussion grenade and spend 1000 energy on cornucopia and you can have a Pouch of Endless Grenades. Wouldn't that be everybody's favorite magic item?
If I recall correctly, puissance and penetrating weapon need to be cast on the ammunition, not the weapon itself, greatly increasing the cost of cornucopia.
With the previously mentioned 90's anti-hero "costume of pouches" look, you could have lots of different cornucopias for smoke grenades, bolt action rifles with different types for different weapons, shotgun slugs, silver(ed) shot, bird shot, buck shot, exotic shells. Again, fast-draw grenade would help if you're tossing them or if you opt for a single-load grenade launcher (maybe as a barrel-mount). The launcher helps if the GM insists that cornucopia only work for ammunition. If the GM rules it works for anything, don't forget utility items too.
Anything that would be useful for just a little time, is inexpensive, fits in a pouch, but could be damaged in use might be a good option. Matches, LED or chemical glow sticks (for temporarily throwing down holes or in dark areas), silly-string (for tripwire detection), various aerosols for laser detection or UV tagging, pepper-spray, vials of high strength acid...

And look at Talisman and Bless. Talismans can help protect against anything including bullets, fists, and lightning. Bless is even better, lasting until it saves your life, and giving you bonuses all along.

Hideaway pouches for your extra rifles is a must.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
I'd need everything to be inconspicuous such as concealed body armour, disassembled or repurposed weapons, lockpicks, shaped charges, etc.
Or enchanted with illusions to make them look innocuous. A shotgun that is a walking cane, a helmet that looks like a baseball cap, etc.

Last edited by Culture20; 05-13-2014 at 06:16 AM.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:13 AM   #25
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
If I recall correctly, puissance and penetrating weapon need to be cast on the ammunition, not the weapon itself,
Nope. Those spells are double cost on ranged weapons or 1/10th cost on the ammunition.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:02 AM   #26
Azinctus

I'd be worried that none of the above suggestions are going to even nick Dr Supervillain's Adamantium Cyberguards.

You might want to ask your GM for help. So that your weapon choices, the powers of the other PCs and the type of foes you will meet balance.

If this is open season character creation then you need the A. highest damage option (to defeat injury tolerance) and B. the highest armour penetration option (for DR) and something that does a good job of both. RPGs and grenade launchers are cheap. But for real firepower I'd want a Predator Drone following me all the time.

Don't forget to have every kind of monster hunting weapon, from silver bullets for werewolves to a fire truck for fire elementals.

Spoiler gear is great: bugs, tracking devices, IR smoke grenades, land mines, portable science gear and a big van or five to carry you and your support teams (medevac, clean-up, prison van, crime scene unit).

But all of it should probably be run past the GM who might not want you ruining his plots with your encyclopaedia of modern gear.

I think it was Kromm who said powers ought to be suggested by the players but created by the GM.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:23 AM   #27
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
Another note -- if you're into using the gunsmithing rules it is conceivable to up-caliber:

-the M14 to fire .300 Win Mag (8D+1 pi, Range 1600/6600); and

-the FN BAR to fire .338 Lapua (9D+1, Range 1300/5500).

The former would retain its autofire capabilities, the latter could be converted to full auto, but that's a bit crazy. Upping the BAR's mag capacity is simple and useful either way.
The M14 had very poor controllability during autofire with 7.62 NATO. That's why most of them were converted to ROF 3 only. The BAR was alright with 30-03 but upping the caliber might change that.

If I had massive wealth and was looking to upgrade my gear I'd get modern weapons that you can get parts for..
Old 05-13-2014, 08:34 AM   #28
Figleaf23
Banned

A couple of ideas for combo gadgets:

But I'll post them somewhere I feel actually welcome.

Last edited by Figleaf23; 06-03-2014 at 07:08 AM.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:22 AM   #29
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azinctus View Post
I'd be worried that none of the above suggestions are going to even nick Dr Supervillain's Adamantium Cyberguards.
Which is actually genre compliant. Punisher, Nick Fury, Bat-Man, etc will never be a match for ultra-DR opponents. They rely on their wits or their friends. Hawkeye and Green Arrow are "normal" (discounting Goliath), but their arrows are powerful enough to be gadget advantages instead of equipment.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:49 AM   #30
Wavefunction

Quote:
Meh, he can carry around an antitank weapon or two, the Dynamit-Nobel PZF3 should do a lot more than nick Dr Supervillain's Adamantium Cyberguards.

Quote:
Well lookit that! The gunsmithing rules limit of 1.2 x damage increase from a caliber conversion would just barely permit using the .700 NE round in an FN BAR conversion. 5Dx2 sounds sweet, but pi++ sounds even sweeter.
That's a terrifying new set of options you just opened up...

Quote:
Forearm-mounted Hyper-Ear

Directional Microphone (TL7). A mike that picks up
sound in a narrow cone similar in shape to a shotgun blast.
Headphones included. Amplifies a particular sound by x8 at TL8. -Expensive $1600, 2lb

+ alternate capability

Laser Mike (TL7)
[T]urns any window into a bug by reflecting
an invisible laser beam off the glass and picking up the
vibrations caused by speech within the room.... Range is ... 900 yards at TL8.
-Expensive $10000, 1.333lb

+ alternate capability

Electronic Stethoscope (TL8)
... hear sounds through three yards of loose stone or a yard of solid material. It gives +1 to Explosives (EOD) rolls to detect or defuse mechanical bombs, and can function as a regular stethoscope.
-Expensive $600, 0.2667

As combination:
Wt = 2.8
Cost $11,100

Super-portable Radar Array

Small Radar (HT46)(TL7 double range and halve weight at TL8).
A 3-mile range radar, typical of those ... used by “storm chasers.”
-Expensive 20000, 10lb
-Tactical (10 targets, +3 targetting): x5 cost =$100000

+ alternate mode

Handheld GPR (TL8). A ground-penetrating radar the size of a hardback book.
-Expensive $20000, 2lb

+ alternate mode

Thru Wall Radar
It can see through a wall a foot thick (wood, brick, gypsum, etc.) and detect a person 20 yards beyond that ...
-Expensive $60,000, 6.67lb

Combined
Wt = 14.4lb
Cost = $164,000
Very nice.
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote