Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 01:58 AM   #1001
SCAR

Default Re: The 2013 e23 Releases and Speculation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Excellent point. I went back to 2008, and the latest release in December in those years was on the 18th. In 2007, there was a release on the 19th, but I'm not sure how well we can count on that because there was also a release on the 27th, and the current incarnation of Pyramid didn't exist then. (The tradition of Thursday releases wasn't fully established in 2007—there was a Friday release on the 7th.)

Thus, we're only assured of getting Pyramid. For which we should be thankful, but I'd sure like a little extra stocking stuffer.
There has been a tradition of multiple releases as the last release of the year, new and old, and for multiple lines (if there is anything left for Car Wars; In Nomine is up-to-date as far as I know).
Last year was just Pyramid, but the previous 3 years all had multiple SJG releases, new GURPS 4e, old GURPS Classic, and Car Wars/In Nomine stuff - so maybe?
Old 12-06-2013, 04:41 AM   #1002
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I think "Cart Wars" was a sidebar in GURPS Autoduel on this very concept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
There are several pages on the subject in GURPS Discworld Also. No idea if this has survived into the new Discworld book.
Not in full, although there is of course some material on the FourEcks Outback. We'll have to see about resurrecting the concept in full some time, once the new edition and the new Vehicle Designer are out.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:59 AM   #1003
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Not in full, although there is of course some material on the FourEcks Outback. We'll have to see about resurrecting the concept in full some time, once the new edition and the new Vehicle Designer are out.
And now that Phil has spoken, I can say that I really wanted to comment on the manuscript (I was one of the playtesters) on this, but that it was not my place to speak. Still, I can say this, I can't wait to see this published, as it's IMHO the best possible introductory product to GURPS to date, and an excellent product in itself. That is, according to what I saw during the playtest (and knowing SJG, it only gets better as it goes through the production pipeline)
My stuff on e23
Old 12-06-2013, 05:46 AM   #1004
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Thus, we're only assured of getting Pyramid. For which we should be thankful, but I'd sure like a little extra stocking stuffer.
At least you're getting something.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:28 AM   #1005
TorgSmith

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
And now that Phil has spoken, I can say that I really wanted to comment on the manuscript (I was one of the playtesters) on this, but that it was not my place to speak. Still, I can say this, I can't wait to see this published, as it's IMHO the best possible introductory product to GURPS to date, and an excellent product in itself. That is, according to what I saw during the playtest (and knowing SJG, it only gets better as it goes through the production pipeline)
New edition? Introductory product? Is this like the essentials from DnD that is a simplified gaming experience, or is it the first of a new line of an entirely new edition?
Old 12-06-2013, 07:27 AM   #1006
Phil Masters

It's a new edition, with, in effect, a tailored version of GURPS Lite integrated with the text. (And when I say "tailored", I mean "including things like a new magic system".) Having worked on the Hellboy RPG and Vorkosigan, I had some ideas how to do this.

It's currently set to be a single product. I guess that follow-up books are always possible, but that of course would depend on negotiations with Terry's people and so on (not to mention sales of the main book). Best to assume it'll be just the one product.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #1007
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor

Quote:
It's a new edition, with, in effect, a tailored version of GURPS Lite integrated with the text. (And when I say "tailored", I mean "including things like a new magic system".) Having worked on the Hellboy RPG and Vorkosigan, I had some ideas how to do this.
Trust me, when he says those words, they are SO true it hurts not being able to say more. You don't really miss much from standard GURPS, while at the same time it fits togetehr and the background much better than in the previous edition of The Discworld Roleplaying Game.
Quote:
It's currently set to be a single product. I guess that follow-up books are always possible, but that of course would depend on negotiations with Terry's people and so on (not to mention sales of the main book). Best to assume it'll be just the one product.
One can only hope ;)
My stuff on e23
Old 12-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #1008
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorgSmith View Post
New edition? Introductory product? Is this like the essentials from DnD that is a simplified gaming experience, or is it the first of a new line of an entirely new edition?
New edition of The Discworld Roleplaying Game, Powered by GURPS 4th edition. As Phil said, it uses GURPS Lite for the base rules, but it's not your standard GURPS Lite. First, it's not segregated from the rest of the book, it's integrated with it, and second, Phil made changes and additions to it.
My stuff on e23
Old 12-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #1009
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
I was one of the playtesters
I never apply for the playtest positions, because I know I'm more of a collector than a player. It would be unfair for me to take a place in a playtest, one that could be better filled by someone who either has the experience with GURPS to spot flaws, or a novice in GURPS but with a group with which to figure out how difficult the rules are for new players.

But that said... Damn, I REALLY wish I had been in that playtest. :-P
Old 12-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #1010
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

The new Discworld Roleplaying Game was a lot of work for Phil and me . . . It was a while in the planning and execution. I didn't travel to the UK twice just to speak with him about it, but I do believe it came up a lot on personal time. :)

As Line Editor, I gave Phil leave to alter many things about GURPS that he felt didn't fit the setting. Ditto for several rules he didn't think were conducive to fun gaming. This edition will be a true game, not a supplement.
Closed Thread

Tags
2013, e23, speculation