Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
Gwathiell

Default Monsterous Question

Hello everyone,

I tried to understand this... but it still confuses me as more and more I search for the answer. My english isn't bad, but in the FAQ I just fail to understand what it says there. As well as some lines in rules. Here goes the question:

If I kill the monster - I get level and treasure(s) (i got this far to understand)
If I defeat the monster - I do not get level .. do I get treasure?
If I run.. I run like a chicken. Understood

Now, You have a monster. Let say it's Level 14.
- if my levels + bonuses on cards in use is greater than 14 = i kill the monster Understood
- if my levels + bonuses on cards in use are smaller than 14 -> Do I kill or defeat the monster :
--a) if I use potions to help myself to rise my bonuses ...
--b) if I use monster enhancer e.g. it does (-5) ...
--c) if my race says that if I discard my hand I get bonuses ...
--d) if some card forces the monster to fly away as parrot or disapear, etc...

Can someone help me clarify this, please?
Gwathiell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
Quotencommon

Default Re: Monsterous Question

It depends on the card used to defeat (but not kill) the monster. Look at the card in question. Usually, it will tell you whether you get treasure. If it does not say, you usually do get it. (I can't think of any examples where you don't)

To your other question:
a) yes, if you raise your bonuses high enough
b) yes, if you weaken the monster low enough
c) yes, if you raise your bonuses high enough
d) yes, if you defeat any remaining monsters and the card does not say otherwise
Quotencommon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
Gwathiell

Thank you for your reply.

So... the "yes" for a to d .. means I defeat the monster in all the cases.

The one with race to increase bonus.. that also counts as defeating the monster and not killing? Even if it's Race/class enhancer?
Edit : Ah.. is it only defeating, because you need to get rid of extra cards .. thus this serves like using a card ?

Last edited by Gwathiell; 03-17-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
Quotencommon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathiell View Post

Potions that give you level bonuses help you kill the monster...unless they say otherwise.

Quote:
The one with race to increase bonus.. that also counts as defeating the monster and not killing? Even if it's Race/class enhancer?
Edit : Ah.. is it only defeating, because you need to get rid of extra cards .. thus this serves like using a card ?
Some race/class/etc powers (such as the warrior's Beserker power) give level bonuses and help you kill the monster. Others (such as the wizard's Charm spell) poof away the monster and do not count as a kill. It really varies.
Quotencommon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #5
MunchkinMan

Quote:

If you are discarding cards to increase your bonus, therefore increasing your combat strength so that is greater than the Monster's combat strength, then you kill the Monster. There are certain cards, like Pollymorph Potion or Magic Lamp, which remove one Monster from combat. That is what was meant by Quotencommon with, "It depends on the card used to defeat (but not kill) the monster."

Let me try to explain it more clearly:

First off, let's use the term combat strength. Combat strength is Level + bonuses - penalties. So, if you are Level 2, and you are using Items that give you bonuses of +10, your combat strength is 12. If you're in combat alone and you use a potion that gives +3 to your side, your combat strength is now 15. Normally, whether you kill the Monsters or not depends on combat strength. If your combat strength is higher than the total of the Monster side's combat strength, you can kill all the Monsters you are facing, and therefore get Levels and Treasure. If you are tied or lower, you are losing and must do something to change that. In the fantasy game, the Cleric and the Warrior can get a bonus (though the Cleric can only do it against Undead) by discarding cards. This is directly added to their combat strength, so that means that they still can kill the Monster.

The situation where a Monster is defeated, but not killed, include using the Wizard's charm spell, or playing cards like Pollymorph Potion, or Magic Lamp which remove a Monster (and also happen to tell you that can still get its Treasure if you can deal with any remaining Monsters).

Of the hypothetical situations you posted in your follow-up, all but d) will give you a kill as long as you make it so that your combat strength exceeds the Monster side's combat strength. d) depends on the card, since there are some cards which actually give a kill, not just a non-killing defeat, and some cards (Deus Ex Machinegun) give you nothing, neither Levels nor Treasure.

As for discarding: It is important to understand that if a Class or Race ability requires a discard, the discard can come from cards you have in play or your hand, unless the ability says otherwise (like the Cleric's resurrection clearly says you must discard from your hand, while the Wizard's charm spell requires you to discard your entire hand).
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 03-18-2011 at 04:19 AM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:42 AM   #6
Gwathiell

I understand now.
Thank you very much for making these clear for me, Quotencommon and MunchkinMan. :)

Tags
bonuses, monster, rules, treasure