Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-31-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
MaesterKupo

Default Level Counter App Makes My Friends Hate Me

So, I'm planning on buying some of the extra stuff for the game (my gf already bought the bobblehead for us, the iphone App, I have one bookmark, etc.) and my friends get all angry 'cause I have all this extra advantage with this stuff. How do I explain to them that it's their fault they won't give Steve Jackson Games their money is why they don't get any bonuses.

Also, on a very unmunchkinly note, is there anywhere that someone has posted up rules for all of the promo stuff (outside of cards) that has a little different rules that allow for everyone to benefit from it at least once or something to that effect? Sorry, I'm uncreative.

Sincerely, Kupo
Old 03-31-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Level Counter App Makes My Friends Hate Me

If you're essentially asking people to share house rules, you might check the house rules thread that's sitting at the top of this forum. Otherwise, I'm not entirely sure what you're asking for is something that could be shared anywhere. I feel like alternative rules for cards or bookmarks could fit into the realm of new card ideas and we don't allow the sharing of card ideas here for the legal protection of the idea creator and SJG. . .
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
MaesterKupo

Okies. House rules for something other than cards is what I was looking for. :-P I'll go post there then, thanks and sorry.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
snarky

The only real solution I've seen to this is simply to share the wealth - if you have something that gives you a bonus over the others you're playing with, of course they're going to feel left out and/or annoyed. If you're just playing for fun, sometimes all these "extras" can feel like you're "cheating"...even though technically they're "legal".

Back when one of my group bought the iPhone app, and none of us had an iPhone to do so ourselves, we had him pass the app around to the player who did the worst in each previous game (ironically, he usually wound up with his phone in hand). After a few people saw that the Boons weren't necessarily overpowering, the concern went away.

Now, I have the Android app, he has the iPhone app, and the other two regulars just grumble occasionally. We decided finally that, if we're using our apps, they get one additional card at the beginning of the game.

With other items, like the Kill-o-Meter, I actually bought one for each of our usual players when I got mine - that way, nobody felt left out and nobody had an "unfair" advantage. Plus, with multiple Reversal of Fortune cards out there, the KoM gets more interesting.
snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
ComBAT

As owner of most of the Munchkin games, when my friend bought his iPhone level counter, I told him he can't use it without allowing everyone to. I don't believe in playing a game where someone has an advantage that others are unable to obtain nor should be required to spend the money to get.

I do rather enjoy those cards that give additional bonuses to players with specific names however!
ComBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:47 PM   #6
Doctor Poo

If players give me a dollar (or something pretty from their pockets) I would let them use my level counter. I payed five for it after all. Plus, I think friends hating you is actually a feature of the app.

Last edited by Doctor Poo; 03-31-2011 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Flavor text
Doctor Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:56 PM   #7
Rev Ev

I have an extra stack of coins, bookmarks, etc for other players to use. That way they get some of the goodies, but I still keep the best ones for myself. Like the big d10 that gives you an extra level and a certain bookmark that gives me three treasures when I sing.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:00 PM   #8
Blu

At home we don't really use that stuff. If we do, I share my stash with others. I'm not so concerned with winning at home and more with all of us having fun. Now, an officially tournament or something....promos on!
Blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:08 PM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Poo View Post
Plus, I think friends hating you is actually a feature of the app.
We should totally add that to the marketing copy.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:45 PM   #10
Doctor Poo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
We should totally add that to the marketing copy.
I just checked the Itunes store and it absolutely says "Your friends will hate you.." So MaesterKupo, is your product working as advertised?

Tags
bobblehead, fantasy, iphone, promo, unmunchkinly