Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-22-2018, 05:48 AM   #1
Tinman

Default CQB technique & non-firearms

Can one have the CQB technique (Tactical Shooting p.43) for non-firearms?
I'm most interested in using with spells but since I'm asking what about innate attacks & other muscle powered ranged weapons?

Thx.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:00 AM   #2
Icelander

Default Re: CQB technique & non-firearms

I would allow it for any attack where it made sense. Innate Attacks, certainly, and Beam Weapons and Crossbows.

Thrown weapons and Bows, I'd allow in most games, but possibly not in a very stark historical campaign, unless I saw historical evidence of training and methods of use designed to facilitate accurate engagement of close-range targets while moving.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:31 PM   #3
VonKatzen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
I would allow it for any attack where it made sense. Innate Attacks, certainly, and Beam Weapons and Crossbows.

Thrown weapons and Bows, I'd allow in most games, but possibly not in a very stark historical campaign, unless I saw historical evidence of training and methods of use designed to facilitate accurate engagement of close-range targets while moving.
I think javelins are probably the most historical pre-firearm 'CQB' missile weapon. They are reasonably compact, can be thrown quickly, and hit hard. They can also be used as spears if needed. So they're a good option, especially combined with a shield.
VonKatzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:52 PM   #4
Tinman

Quote:

Thanks Icelander.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:34 PM   #5
The Colonel

Quote:

I might consider throwing knives and shuriken ... although these were not especially effective weapons. It's not like they can be used in any engagement that isn't close quarters after all...
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:37 PM   #6
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonKatzen View Post
I think javelins are probably the most historical pre-firearm 'CQB' missile weapon. They are reasonably compact, can be thrown quickly, and hit hard. They can also be used as spears if needed. So they're a good option, especially combined with a shield.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
I might consider throwing knives and shuriken ... although these were not especially effective weapons. It's not like they can be used in any engagement that isn't close quarters after all...
Note that the CQB technique specifically reduces the penalty for Moving while using the missile weapon. You don't need a technique to use thrown knives, shuriken or javelins at close-quarters while moving no more than a step in the second that you throw the weapon.