Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-20-2017, 09:11 PM   #1
Hoppitty

Default Duplication and slime-race

I'm trying to build a semi-intelligent race of slimes for a fantasy campaign. As a feature, I wanted to make them split in half to make two identical slimes (likely on a major wound, maybe further limited to those from cutting damage only). The key feature here being that they're two individuals who can never re-merge, but can also be further split.

Duplication seems the best advantage to handle this, but thematically the slimes don't have to share ALL their powers/skills/etc., just their racial template. This might even be the only way these guys can reproduce.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can actually build this ability? Thanks!
Hoppitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:21 PM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Duplication and slime-race

The domination advantage seems more relevant than duplication. Some sort of spin on allies may also work

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:37 PM   #3
Hoppitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The domination advantage seems more relevant than duplication. Some sort of spin on allies may also work
That's a good idea, but Dominance still needs a thing to exist before it can be infected... This is what I have so far, actually:

Duplication (35; No Sympathetic Injury +20%; Shared Resources -40%; Permanent +300%; Always On -20%; Trigger, cutting major wound, -15%;
net +245%) [121]

Always on means they can't choose not to use it when triggered; Permanent seemed necessary even though Duplication doesn't state a duration. This really doesn't prevent them from voluntarily re-merging, which I one thing I'd like to work in. Maybe you're on to something with the allies, though... Thematically it wouldn't be an ally so much as a new, free-willed member of the race.
Hoppitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:26 AM   #4
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppitty View Post
I'm trying to build a semi-intelligent race of slimes for a fantasy campaign. As a feature, I wanted to make them split in half to make two identical slimes (likely on a major wound, maybe further limited to those from cutting damage only). The key feature here being that they're two individuals who can never re-merge, but can also be further split.

Duplication seems the best advantage to handle this, but thematically the slimes don't have to share ALL their powers/skills/etc., just their racial template. This might even be the only way these guys can reproduce.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can actually build this ability? Thanks!
Duplication is an Advantage because of the benefit of having a copy of you to do the things you do. This racial feature seems more like single-cell reproduction rather than a useful play ability. So I wouldn't build it as an Advantage itself but rather a feature of whatever Advantage is allowing them to survive the major wound.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:03 AM   #5
Bruno

Reproduction is a 0 point feature. That part is of no particular interest.

If the new individual is immediately useful to you in a combat situation, but then has to be treated as any other NPC, this could be treated as a Summonable Ally with a big accessibility (Only after taking a Major Wound) and a Maximum Duration. Expiration of the duration represents the new Ally ceasing to be an Ally and becoming a standard NPC.

Dominance has two parts: forcing someone who already exists to be your Ally (even if they were a foe), and changing their racial template.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote