Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-10-2014, 12:28 PM   #1
Carlos

Default RPM for Dungeon Fantasy

Greetings.

When we are going to have a Pyramid Magazine or even a DF book with RPM for Dungeon Fantasy?

My main concern about RPM system is the Lesser and Greater effects. In a world were magic is very common and is everywhere (like DF), Lesser and Greater effects should be different than in Monster Hunter or other settings were magic is subtle.
Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: RPM for Dungeon Fantasy

The biggest problem with RPM for DF is casting times. DF mages are used to casting at most every other turn, while RPM is 5 turns between energy gathering rolls. You'd effectively have to turn DF mages into That Other Game mages who prepare one or two copies of each spell, and hope that's all the adventuring they do between rests.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:37 PM   #3
Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
The biggest problem with RPM for DF is casting times. DF mages are used to casting at most every other turn, while RPM is 5 turns between energy gathering rolls. You'd effectively have to turn DF mages into That Other Game mages who prepare one or two copies of each spell, and hope that's all the adventuring they do between rests.
But pre-casting seems to be an awesome idea in every game that plays RPM. At least the combat spells. If you are out of combat, you may have enough time to gather energy calmly. Otherwise, you can roll at -4 to gather energy every turn.
Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:42 PM   #4
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Of course, if that's what you wanted, then you're in good.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:48 PM   #5
Varyon

The RPM mod I've been working on is intended for (amongst other things) use with DF. The DF bits are stealing a good deal from Langy's thread, here, so you might want to start there.

As for Greater and Lesser effects, I pretty much go off the suggestions in RPM.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:21 PM   #6
mlangsdorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
When we are going to have a Pyramid Magazine or even a DF book with RPM for Dungeon Fantasy?
6 months to a year after an author submits an acceptable draft, I'd assume.

I know some people were working on an RPM for DF article, but (as far as I know) it hasn't been submitted and is on hiatus. They can chime in if they want with more details.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:06 PM   #7
pfharlock

I think you could easily use the system as is for DF.

The op mentioned adjusting the dividing line between lesser and greater affects. I could definitely see doing that to fit the setting, (although I also think leaving it the same is fine too).

In the latest pyramid there was (either a perk or advantage I forget) that allowed you to use your thaumatology skill to refill your energy reserve rather than path of magic. I could see something like that really helping a combat caster,,, ie you buy up your magery pretty high so you have a pretty decent energy reserve, then you buy the thaumatology skill up pretty high so you can quickly refill your reserve when it gets low, and you cast your combat magic out of the reserve making your spells quick to cast.

Combine the above with specialization in a single path that's good for combat like path of energy and then buying some ritual specific perks combined with bonuses from higher calling and you are good to start slinging fireballs with the best of them. It also leaves the door open to aquire enchanted items through adventuring that provide further buffs (which feels very DF to me).

Someone else mentioned earlier in the thread that charms and conditional spells could also be brought to bear to excellent effect, (plus the holy hand grenade jokes will never stop which is good). Even better still you can start buffing your comrades with things like charmed arrows or other charms that they can use even when you aren't there.
pfharlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:27 PM   #8
Angle

You can also prepare a lot of spells. I had a short DF campaign with RPM, and our wizard did a lot of that, and it worked just fine.
Angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 03:42 PM   #9
Tinman

I'm GMing a DF campaign. I would like to find a DF template for RPM.
Has anyone done such yet? If yes, can you share it with me.
Thank you.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 03:50 PM   #10
Anders

If you do this, I'd recommend looking at Christopher Rice's article on turning RPM into Effect Shaping magic (Pyramid 3/66). That reduces the number of die rolls and potentially the casting time greatly.