Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-13-2012, 12:58 AM   #51
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: GURPS Releases seem to be slow?

People always forget The Blood of Heroes. ;)
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #52
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
A Boy and His Dog?
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #53
Jerander

Speaking of GURPS Survivors, I seem to remember it being mentioned in a sidebar in one of my early GURPS books...20+ years ago. Do I remember correctly? Has GURPS Survivors been in the pipes for over two decades...?
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #54
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
Speaking of GURPS Survivors, I seem to remember it being mentioned in a sidebar in one of my early GURPS books...20+ years ago. Do I remember correctly? Has GURPS Survivors been in the pipes for over two decades...?
That seems about the right scale. SJ hasn't really worked personally on GURPS stuff in a while.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #55
Earther

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
I've noticed that there seems to be a relative slow release schedule for books circling GURPS. Zombies is the only upcoming release I've even seen mentioned.

What gives?
I don't buy PDFs. So my pickings of new GURPS products is slim.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:47 PM   #56
jblalock77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earther View Post
I don't buy PDFs. So my pickings of new GURPS products is slim.
You are missing some wonderful stuff...
jblalock77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #57
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

There are no mysteries surrounding GURPS After the End: e23 has significant autonomy in what it plans and executes. The sales success of GURPS Action, GURPS Dungeon Fantasy, and GURPS Monster Hunters allowed e23 to convince the Managing Editor to approve the series. However, Steve is the Editor in Chief – that's a big step up the org chart from Managing Editor – and has the final say on what we publish. He has an interest in post-apoc fiction, so his approval depends on being convinced that the series would not interfere with his desire to see GURPS Survivors one of these days (that isn't the same as him saying that he wants to write that book, please note!). If nothing else, he needs to find time to read the material and discuss the title, which is a low priority given everything else on his plate.

Such is life . . . sometimes, we leak the title of something that looks like it's almost a sure thing, only to run into a problem with the contract, or legal concerns, or simply an approval hitch (as here). After the End remains on my weekly report; it isn't marked "Dead" in our database or anything dire like that. Like GURPS Vehicle Design, it's something that we probably shouldn't have mentioned so early, but we're not perfect.

The concern about supporting four worked genre examples instead of three is a much, much smaller one. Publishing After the End wouldn't necessarily take anything away from Action, Dungeon Fantasy, or Monster Hunters, or make some as-yet-unnamed genre series impossible. Not publishing it wouldn't guarantee more support for the three published series, or improve the odds of some unnamed series seing the light of day. When I mentioned the matter of how many such series we could support, it was in the context of the day, week, month, and quarter when we discussed the issue, not "for all time."
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #58
Flyndaran
Untagged

All things considered, getting information too soon, because the company crew is so excited isn't that bad of a drawback.

It's actually one of the reasons I love SJG above and beyond the awesome products.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #59
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
A Boy and His Dog?
The line, "She had good taste" and it's underlying meaning did more to slam me into a post apocalyptic mentality than the entire rest of the movie.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:47 PM   #60
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I will never forget watching that with one of our larger game groups, and all the women in the group (about half the group, so 6-8 of them) at one point chanting "Bite his ear off, bite his ear off." Followed shortly after that by "Ewwww, didn't think they'd actually go there."
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote