Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-01-2014, 10:06 AM   #1
Arith Winterfell

Default Social Conflicts in a Mage Heavy Society

I'm working on a fantasy setting, but I've found myself hitting a bit of creative snag. I've noticed settings like Transhuman Space make use of a lot of social and ideological conflicts in order to set the stage for adventures. I'm looking to do something similar in terms of creating social and ideological conflicts for a fantasy setting (not necessarily using Transhuman Space themes).

The main society of the setting called the Asarlay, is a culture dedicated to education and wizardry. In this setting I've split Magery into Mage Sense which represents Magery 0 and further represent being born with the innate ability to sense magical energies. Hence there is an element of being born into having the ability to become a mage and not just anyone can learn and cast magic. Magery 1+ are replaced with Magecraft 1 or more representing mage training and general learning about the nuances of magical studies. For reference we are using the basic setting spell system. Overall the government of the society is a council of mages who function essentially as an enlightened oligarchy ruling over the city-state.

Now my problem is figuring out / coming up with ideas for social and ideological conflict that is going on in Asarlay society. I'm currently drawing a blank and could use suggestions and ideas.
Arith Winterfell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conflict, magic, social, society