Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-05-2018, 02:24 PM   #1
swarmyard

Default Recommendations for Magic-themed advantages/abilities

I am working on a magical prodigy character but instead taking multiple levels of magery (pretty sure our DM wants us to stay below 3), I was looking for recommendations for interesting idea mechanics/advantages to take. Something that could reduce the penalty for casting another spell while having an active spell, an advantage for prerequisites, etc. Something different I could justify with a 20 point Unusual Background. Wild Talent is on my list.
swarmyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 06:06 PM   #2
mlangsdorf

Default Re: Recommendations for Magic-themed advantages/abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmyard View Post
I am working on a magical prodigy character but instead taking multiple levels of magery (pretty sure our DM wants us to stay below 3), I was looking for recommendations for interesting idea mechanics/advantages to take. Something that could reduce the penalty for casting another spell while having an active spell, an advantage for prerequisites, etc. Something different I could justify with a 20 point Unusual Background. Wild Talent is on my list.
Aspected Mana Generator is good - Aspected High Healing should increase your effective Mana level for Recover Energy.

There's also a lot of spell specific perks such as Missile Spell Mastery or Psychic Guidance that could be turned into advantages. I don't know if spending 10 points to be able to cast other spells while holding a Missile Spell is particularly point efficient, but it would make you a prodigy of sorts.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:09 PM   #3
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Name escapes me, but the split mind (with a limit for spells only) could help.

Compartmentalized Mind, I think?
Old 05-05-2018, 10:13 PM   #4
swarmyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
Aspected Mana Generator is good - Aspected High Healing should increase your effective Mana level for Recover Energy.
I'm not familiar with these. What book are they located in?
swarmyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:32 AM   #5
mlangsdorf

Quote:
I'm not familiar with these. What book are they located in?
Thaumaturgy: Magical Styles, mostly. A few are repeated or added in Thaumaturgy: Dungeon Magic or in Dungeon Fantasy: Power-ups.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:30 AM   #6
Praxian

Quote:
In the Fantasy book on p.159 you can find the "Magic Powers" talent. This talent allows you to take the following as "Magic Powers":

Affliction, Damage Resistance (Magic), Detect (Magic or Supernatural Phenomena), Neutralize (Magic), and Telekinesis.

If you take the additional modifier of "Extremely Potent" (a x2 modifier), you can make any "Advantage" a Magic Power.

The talent itself is a 5 pt / level talent, with extremely potent it's a 10 pt / level talent.

One of the setups I like to do is typically take the 10 pt / level advantage, give yourself an Energy Reserve with Special Recharge and Abilities Only, and then either Leech or Regeneration with modifiers to -only- recharge the Energy Reserve. Going this route -also- lets you use your Energy Reserve for your spells because the spells are a by-product of Magery (which like Magic Powers, is Magic).

Then make every "Power" you take have "Costs ER" which is -5% per 1 ER. Don't forget the Accessibility of "Can only be powered by Energy Reserve" (an additional -5%) and the Power Modifier of Magic Powers (-10%) and you're in business.

Last edited by Praxian; 05-06-2018 at 07:35 AM.
Praxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:32 PM   #7
Culture20

Gadget-based ER can also be handy if the GM allows. “The Anvil of Infinity stores power from every hammer blow which we can draw from for spells. Unfortunately, we can’t move it without a team of laborers.”

A switchable anti-magic field is a game-breaker.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote