Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:35 PM   #11
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: What do you want to see in a new Ogre computer game?

At a minimum, it needs to include a faithful reproduction of the board game with the ability to play against AI of all types, not just Ogres. The number one reason for a computer version is so I can play when nobody else is available to play the real game.

Any other fiddly stuff (fog of war, et al) that makes Ogre not Ogre if included needs to be optional.

Trading AI designs is an interesting idea. It would be cool to be able to allow other people to play against your AI. Something like how the game Carnage Heart that included programming of your mechs would be wild.

If network play is available, please make it so all systems can play together. The biggest fail I see too often is a game that is locked into a specific platform (eg, Windows versions can't play against Macs, etc).

An ability to design and print maps would be cool, too. ODE-sized might be problematic (maybe overlays?), but original chit size would be workable.

Last edited by GranitePenguin; 01-07-2016 at 10:38 PM.
GranitePenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:47 PM   #12
TerryPack

I would like to see a game that was as close as possible to the board game.

It would be cool to be able to select your counter style: Classic, Designer's Edition or Miniatures.

There should be the option to play against just your friends, the AI or open the game up to players from the internet.

A scenario designer that is robust enough to handle things like Iron Mountain.
TerryPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:02 PM   #13
HeatDeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryPack View Post
It would be cool to be able to select your counter style: Classic, Designer's Edition or Miniatures.
Or the original 70's palette. It'd be pretty cool to be able to see (and play on) the Battlefields and Shockwave maps rendered in the pale-blue-and-green-lines-on-white of the original GEV and Ogre pocketbox editions. (Another cool palette would be green vectors on black, like a 70s computer monitor).

Last edited by HeatDeath; 01-07-2016 at 11:56 PM.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:21 AM   #14
gev

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryPack View Post
I would like to see a game that was as close as possible to the board game.

There should be the option to play against just your friends, the AI or open the game up to players from the internet.

A scenario designer that is robust enough to handle things like Iron Mountain.
All of this, plus the different map styles, perhaps allowing custom maps and units. Pretty much anything else is gravy.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:01 AM   #15
sqw

I'd be really content with just a basic Ogre map and an AI for either side.

To me the crucial thing is playing Ogre (or GEV) solo.

Be good if the AI had different styles of play, but not crucial.

Pass and play, network play etc are a red herring - there are lots of ways of doing that already and are icing on the cake for me.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:18 AM   #16
Veav

Online co-op play. I'm not too worried about simultaneous turns vs "hotseat", but teaming up against an AI is my favorite thing in life.

(I may be in the minority here.)
Veav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:55 AM   #17
Atomic Kennedy

Turn-based strategy, please PLEASE no FPS. I could do an RTS but wouldn't prefer it. Turn based can be very exciting and fast-moving, as games like XCOM basically prove.

No free-to-play, wait-to-play, or pay-to-win models. If I have to buy every armor unit individually, or wait for an hour after each turn, I'll just be like the hell with it. I'd rather pay $30-$40 for a full-featured, truly functional game than get a stinker that keeps pestering me for money, even if it's free.

Personally I second the "zoom out to true scale" idea. It's just a graphical nicety but it would seriously scale the game up. Multiple terrain types is also a good idea, as is fog of war. I would also like it to have a native Mac version because otherwise I can't play it, which is a continuous bummer.

A free campaign mode would be nice too - global game with fractal or procedural maps generated according to the region you're trying to conquer, even if it's hex-based, which would suit me fine.
Atomic Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:00 AM   #18
Ashley

A game that replicates the feel of the board game but adds extra verisimilitude to the play by having a zoom out to true-scale function.

The game should be complete, plonk my money down and I'm done. You can sell me extra maps as add-ons etc, but Ogre and GEV good to go.

For me it needs to play on a Mac, just saying because otherwise it's no good.

Blogs:
http://panther6actual.blogspot.co.uk/
http://ashleyrpollard.blogspot.co.uk/
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:33 AM   #19
Misplaced Buckeye

The comments have be so good it's impossible to quote just one. If I could have one thing it would that the initial entry be faithful to the Ogre Game with the ability to upgrade to GEV and Shockwave later.

I would think that one easy way to bring it to life would be to Start with Tabletopia ans Steam or Tabletop Simulator. Tabletopia would gradually give you access to the IOS and Android systems.

There are many good programmers out there that have already created hex based computer simulations of their boardgames. A joint ventures with one of them would bring the product to market at less cost to all(NOTreinventing the wheel so to speak). An ODE version would be warranted if the response to the initial offering was good.

Have you considered cut scenes where you get a video snippet of an Ogre blowing something up or of the Ogre being immobilized or destroyed.

I agree that the AI should allow for solo play as well as multiplayer mode and with the newer large tablets or as I have a Remix mini Android PC attached to my 60" TV the multiplayer mode would work well on a single device. Between devices might be for future upgraded versions.

While we're talking about Android could we get an upgrade to the Warroom app to include more of the units in the ODE besides the Ogres. As a GM it has been a great tool to control the Ogre but things like missle carriers, cruise missles, tracking stronghold points etc would be nice. It might even be nice to have an option to have a build ur own Ogre to accomodate fan made ogres !!

Thanks for listening Steve we've all been waiting for this with bated breath.
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:38 AM   #20
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Mac-native is a big deal. I can usually get around it, but it's annoying.

What about 3D units? It would be cool to be able to move around 3D units instead of flat counters on the map. I'm not asking for Minis rules, just the ability to have something visually interesting, maybe in an isomorphic view. It's important to not get too heavy on graphics, either. I don't want to have to buy a new computer just to play it; I'll just keep playing the 80s game in an emulator if that happens.

The latest incarnation of Space Hulk, for example, looks just like the board game and miniatures, but you can still switch to a top-down 2D view.