Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-18-2018, 10:34 PM   #1
Otaku

Default [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#57): Fearlessness, Unfazeable

Previous Thread: Favor
Next Thread: Fit, Very Fit

If you're new to this series or just want to leave feedback about it, check out the Introduction Thread. If you need help finding something we've already discussed, johndallman is maintaining an index of which traits we've discussed. This is especially handy if the trait you are searching for happens to have been part of a multi-subject review.

Basic
Fearlessness (p. B55) is a Mundane, Mental Advantage which costs 2 CP/level. Each level purchased provides a +1 to your effective Will for Fright Checks or anything that requires you resist "fear", such as the Intimidation Skill or through more exotic (Exotic?) means. There isn't really much more to it, other than mentioning a failed Fright Check can result in quite a bit of danger, from a second of being stunned at best to falling to a Coma, acquiring a -15 CP Mental Disadvantage, and permanently losing a point of IQ (which lowers everything based on IQ).

More than seven levels of Fearlessness is not cost effective because one can buy Unfazeable (p. B95) for 15 CP, a Mundane, Mental Advantage that not only means you're exempt from making Fright Checks, Intimidation attempts, and even get to ignore Reaction Modifiers (or at least, most of the time for that last one). As long as they are well-behaved, you treat others in a polite, but distant, manner. Reaction penalties caused by actions still apply, but even while engaging in violence, you'll remain civil. This should not be mistaken as being emotionless; Unfazeable simply means you don't display strong emotions.

The catch is that the player of a character with Unfazeable is expected to demonstrate it when in character, and failure to do so can result in a player losing the trait. Unfazeable also assumes that making Fright Checks isn't a constant, or even too regularly occurring, a thing; if it is, then the text makes it clear the GM should charge more for Unfazeable. An example in the text is that averaging one Fright Check per hour warrants at least a 20 CP cost, and could even justify disallowing the trait entirely. You are also not allowed to take this trait if you have any Phobias.

Related Traits
  • Indomitable

Other Supplements
  • GURPS Martial Arts provides a few new uses for both Fearlessness and Unfazeable, and both show up in new Templates and as Optional Traits for many styles.
  • GURPS Supers doesn't do much with Fearlessness, though it is briefly mentioned where another trait would interact with it. Unfazeable usually shows up alongside it and is used as an example in certain places. Unfazeable also shows up as part of certain Example Powers.
  • GURPS Power-Ups 2: Perks contains one Perk (Rule of 15) that can work well with Fearlessness.
  • GURPS Power-Ups 3: Talents contains some alternate rules for Talents that make use of Fearlessness or Unfazeable.
  • GURPS Social Engineering address both traits as it explains Intimidation in more detail. A lot more detail.
  • GURPS Supers uses Fearlessness and Unfazeable in a few templates.
  • GURPS Update lets us know that Fearlessness and Unfazeable exist in the Third Edition rules, with the same CP costs. It also uses Fearlessness to replicate certain Third Edition traits that no longer exist in the Fourth Edition rules. Those I could find in Compendium I will be addressed below; one called "No Physical Body" was included and seems to represent just being a brain, but all I've got on that is the small entry about it in GURPS Update.
  • Pyramid 3/83 includes the article "Pointless Monster Hunting", which includes a mention of Unfazeable.

Past Editions
For the Third Edition Rules on Fearlessness, I'll be referencing the entry found on Compendium I, page 25. Fearlessness is still a Mundane Advantage worth 2 CP per level and works the same as it does in Fourth Edition, barring any differences between fear-related mechanics between editions. If you don't know that Will was not treated like an attribute under the Third Edition rules, but was still based on IQ and could be raised by purchasing the Strong Will Advantage, then the Third Edition explanation of the trait as a specialized form of Strong Will won't make sense. Unfazeable, found on page 31, is also functionally unchanged from its Fourth Edition iteration; it is still a Mundane Advantage though it officially has its cost listed as "15 points or more", and the text includes an example that made me chuckle.

Cool is found on page 23 of Compendium I and is a Mundane Advantage worth just 1 CP. It provides a +1 bonus to Fright Checks and means you keep calm under pressure but also means you hate histrionics. I can't call it a Perk because Perks didn't exist in Third Edition, and I didn't see a "Cool" Perk in the Fourth Edition rules I have available. Collected shows up on page 22, is still Mundane, and provides a +3 bonus to Fright Checks while stressing that you assume things are non-threatening until clearly proven otherwise; again, this doesn't exist in Fourth Edition.

Composed appears right under Collected, but they aren't part of the same overarching trait even though Composed references Collected. Composed costs 5 CP and provides +2 bonus to Fright Checks, but is apparently compatible with Phobias. It also means you don't tend to show excitement and stay calm under pressure. Imperturbable shows up on page 26, is Mundane and costs 10 CP. It... provides a +5 bonus to Fright Checks. All three of these are basically Fearlessness with (at most) a Quirk tacked on, which is probably why they don't exist in Fourth Edition.

Useful Links

Feel free to suggest any existing threads or other, appropriate links on this matter.

Discussion Starters

This is (usually) a generic list of questions for those who want to participate in the discussion but need a little help. If you already know what you want to say, feel free to skip these. ;)
  • Have you ever taken one of these traits for any of your PCs or NPCs?
  • Is there anything done really well by any or all of these traits?
  • Is there anything you think these traits could or should do differently?
  • Think any of related traits are necessary for proper discussion? Go ahead and bring them up, but remember that this is a thread for Fearlessness and Unfazeable.
  • Any thoughts on how the 4e versions of these traits compare to their past edition counterparts?
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)

Last edited by Otaku; 04-21-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:50 AM   #2
Ultraviolet

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#57): Fearlessness, Unfazeable

In our current Cliffhangers campaign one player took Unfazable for his character.

He plays a Norwegian ballon skipper and polar explorer. Event though I initially thought it unbalancing, since we often have elements of the horror genre in the campaign, it really doesn't spoil things. It may be too cheap, since some scenarios involve many Fright Checks for the rest, and people end up with more Quirks and Disadvantages due to a nasty house rule*.

But it fits the concept of a stout Norwegian. And when the rest of us need to roll, and occasionally fail, he always spends a round sucking on his pipe and saying things like "oh dear" or "that's not good", which is his equivalent of near panic.

* For Fright Checks we rule than second and subsequent failed checks require you to add to the roll on the table half of what you failed the last one with. The Fright Check itself is not penalized any further, but if you do fail it gets worse and worse. Due to our poor memories and lousy note taking once a new session starts you start from scratch, even if we stopped in the middle of a scene.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:14 AM   #3
Rupert

My games have not tended to involve many fright checks, which may explain why Fearlessness has never been popular. OTOH simply bumping Will up to high levels has, even though Will rolls in general aren't especially common either, so it may also be that my players consider 5CP for +1 Will more cost effective than 2CP for +1 vs fear.

I've never seen Unfazeable taken, largely because my players are uncomfortable with the requirement to roleplay it or lose it. The players who'd find being fear and reaction modifier immune are also the one's who like to be able to have their characters display what amounts to vengeful and Bad Temper (but only when it suits them).

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:23 PM   #4
Alden Loveshade

Honestly I've never gotten the "You must roleplay this advantage fully, or the GM can declare that it has been lost." I don't get penalized for not using Luck, Breath Holding, Absolute Timing, etc. Generally you get penalized for not using Disadvantages, not Advantages.

To me the wording is stronger than it ought to be. I don't want to spend 15+ points for something the GM can just say, "Ah, I think you reacted too much there. Take 15 points off your character sheet."

I've just ignored that line.
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:53 PM   #5
tanksoldier

My problem is that there are several ways to be unfazable, the typical English butler is only one way.

Unfazable is about not getting frightened or otherwise losing control not about being emotionless... and not about not getting angry.

Emotions are tool given humans by evolution. All of them have a use.

The trick is to use them properly.
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:53 PM   #6
Alden Loveshade

There's also a condition called Urbach-Wiethe disease where the person is incapable of feeling fear (I admit I had to look the name of that up). Not feeling fear is not an Advantage, it's a mental disorder, a Disadvantage. But researching people who have it may lead to treatment for PTSD (which I've had).

In GURPS terms, how would you model the Disadvantage of not feeling fear (and thus not necessarily reacting in a safe manner to danger. The woman mentioned in the articles linked below not only got no rush from horror movies, she wanted to touch poisonous snakes)?

(Good points, tanksoldier.)

https://www.wired.com/2010/12/fear-brain-amygdala/
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-12017039

Last edited by Alden Loveshade; 03-19-2018 at 07:05 PM. Reason: fix wording
Old 03-19-2018, 07:46 PM   #7
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
My problem is that there are several ways to be unfazable, the typical English butler is only one way.

Unfazable is about not getting frightened or otherwise losing control not about being emotionless... and not about not getting angry.

Emotions are tool given humans by evolution. All of them have a use.

The trick is to use them properly.
Even fear. True fearlessness is a major disadvantage. Resistance to fear even where it seems from the outside as if the person lacks it is a major advantage... assuming you're not impulsive or otherwise lacking in proper risk assessment.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:13 PM   #8
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
My games have not tended to involve many fright checks, which may explain why Fearlessness has never been popular. OTOH simply bumping Will up to high levels has, even though Will rolls in general aren't especially common either, so it may also be that my players consider 5CP for +1 Will more cost effective than 2CP for +1 vs fear.

I've never seen Unfazeable taken, largely because my players are uncomfortable with the requirement to roleplay it or lose it. The players who'd find being fear and reaction modifier immune are also the one's who like to be able to have their characters display what amounts to vengeful and Bad Temper (but only when it suits them).
What Kromm had to say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Unfazeable comes with roleplaying advice because it's a wholly unrealistic mental trait and no gamer is likely to have a hope in hell of roleplaying it well. While fictional physical and social traits can be reduced to game mechanics, it's harder to do this with made-up mental traits in an RPG, where playing a role is at least part of the point . . . hence the advice. But you're free to ignore the advice and simply treat it as Immunity to Fear and Intimidation [15], sure.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:15 PM   #9
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Loveshade View Post

In GURPS terms, how would you model the Disadvantage of not feeling fear (and thus not necessarily reacting in a safe manner to danger. The woman mentioned in the articles linked below not only got no rush from horror movies, she wanted to touch poisonous snakes)?

(Good points, tanksoldier.)

https://www.wired.com/2010/12/fear-brain-amygdala/
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-12017039
Unfazeable [15] + some level of On the Edge [-variable]
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:13 PM   #10
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
What Kromm had to say:
Thanks for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Unfazeable [15] + some level of On the Edge [-variable]
I was thinking of something like that, but On the Edge seems more active ("grossly unreasonable risks" like "staring down an entire street gang while armed only with a toothbrush....") To me, On the Edge likely implies enjoying the risk. What I'm thinking of, which fits the real-life example, doesn't involve an emotional rush at all, but is something more subtle. With this you wouldn't leap over the wall to run through the den of venomous vipers, but if you saw one on the ground in front of you, you might try to touch it without thinking of the risk.

Tags
advantage, advantage of the week, daigoro, fearlessness, otaku, unfazeable, week, [basic]