Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-18-2018, 07:36 PM   #11
Anaraxes

Default Re: Moving Planets with my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
you can only apply Super-Effort to Will for the explicit purpose of increasing Warp carrying capacity
It is being used to increase Warp carrying capacity. It's RAW to use Affliction to afflict the effects of many Advantages on other people, especially hostile targets. See, frex,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers 134
The only “attacks” normally available {in the "Teleportation" power --A} are Afflictions with Advantage, Jumper or Advantage, Warp, which teleport other people or objects in their entirety.
If you want to do a "teleport other", you build it with Affliction. See also the Psi Powers Exoteleport builds, on p89 of that book.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:22 PM   #12
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
It is being used to increase Warp carrying capacity. It's RAW to use Affliction to afflict the effects of many Advantages on other people, especially hostile targets. See, frex,
If you want to do a "teleport other", you build it with Affliction. See also the Psi Powers Exoteleport builds, on p89 of that book.
Godslayer is not using it to increase the warp carrying capacity. He is using it to inflate will so that the build has a chance to succeed against the bonus to resistance from the SM of the planet.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 02:49 AM   #13
GODSLAYER

PK is the source of the idea:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Warp as an Affliction. If you have access to GURPS Psionic Powers, what you're describing is basically Range-Limited Exoteleport (p. 70).

Or you could use the following build. Normally you'd have to make two rolls -- one for the Affliction and then a second one for the Warp. To keep it simple, this includes the feature that you make one roll with combined Teleportation distance penalties (i.e., the penalty for the range from you to the target plus the penalty for the range from the target to its new destination) -- so you just roll against IQ+Talent-penalties once and then your target resists with HT as a Quick Contest:

Affliction 1 (HT; Advantage, Warp, +1,000%; Based on IQ, Own Roll, +20%; Feature, See above, +0%; Malediction 2, +150%) [127]

That lets you teleport people, things, whatever. However, when teleporting large, Homogenous items, always add their SM to their resistance roll -- it is more difficult to teleport a small tree than a branch.
GODSLAYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 02:57 AM   #14
punner08

Quote:
Is this legal:
I think yes...
By the way, FAA regulates drones. DJI drones are the best, DJI Mavic 2 Pro vs Mavic 2 Zoom.

Last edited by punner08; 09-07-2018 at 04:32 AM.
punner08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:46 AM   #15
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
Godslayer is not using it to increase the warp carrying capacity.
It's nevertheless necessary for that purpose. Planets are heavy. Without Super-Effort to get you onto the Speed/Range log table, you're not going to get there -- unless you can afford a Will of over 8 trillion for the regular BL formula, in which case you really don't care about opposing resistance rolls*.

--
* Yes, I've heard of the Rule of 16.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:09 AM   #16
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
It's nevertheless necessary for that purpose. Planets are heavy. Without Super-Effort to get you onto the Speed/Range log table, you're not going to get there -- unless you can afford a Will of over 8 trillion for the regular BL formula, in which case you really don't care about opposing resistance rolls*.

--
* Yes, I've heard of the Rule of 16.
That's kind of the whole point. This is not a valid build, and it should not be. Godslayer's question was 'is this a valid rules legal build that lets me move planets?'. The answer is no
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:26 AM   #17
whswhs

I think all this discussion of buying up Will to overcome SM is beside the point, so far so that it really isn't worth worrying about. Yes, you can raise your Will to an effective 60 to use against the Earth's SM of +43. And that's really impressive. But you still have to have the mental carrying capacity to affect the whole Earth.

You've boosted your Will to 60. That gives you a mental Basic Lift of 720 lbs. If you can manage an Extra-Heavy load, you can manage 7,200 pounds. So that's how much you can teleport.

The Earth has 2,000,000,000 HP. So it weighs about (250,000,000)^3 pounds! To be able to affect that much weight, you're going to need utterly insane amounts of Will with Super-Effort. Otherwise, you can teleport an earth-sized object, so long as it weighs no more than 3.6 tons. . . .

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:28 AM   #18
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
1. Rule of 16 will be in effect; even if you can overcome the massive SM of the planet earth you will have less than a 50% chance of actually moving it.
Rule of 16 can be eliminated with a +50% enhancement.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:15 PM   #19
GODSLAYER

I think most people are missing the point of this question.

When you Afflict someone or something with an Advantage, you are giving them that advantage. Your own weight does not count against you when using Warp to Teleport.

So if you Afflict a car, or boat, asteroid or moon with Warp, how much it weighs shouldn't be a factor.

Now, the rules tell us that Size is a factor, giving a penalty to the Affliction roll equal to the Size Modifer.

Psionic Powers also has some custom modified advantages, where weight is a factor, but that's not the default.

That's how I am reading the rules. Tell me where I am wrong?
GODSLAYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:27 PM   #20
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Many years ago, ISTR that Kromm said it would be do-able to zap very large targets with Area Effect, Persistent, Wall +60%, and enough additional area that the hexes could be stacked up into a volume that surrounds the target.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote