Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-07-2017, 09:39 AM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Using Non-Mana Based Magic in Infinity Campaigns

I was just curious if people used non-mana based magic (Clerical Magic, Path/Book Magic, and/or Threshold Magic) in an Infinity Campaign?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 03:15 PM   #2
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Using Non-Mana Based Magic in Infinity Campaigns

I prefer RPM for creepy multi-reality forces like Lovecraftian or other rule breaking sources.
Mana based magic is perfect for innately magical smaller setting scale beings, IMO.
But sadly, I haven't had a gaming group in forever, so haven't actually "used" anything.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:20 PM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Lost in dreams was set in Infinite Worlds (as well as some other places) and featured entirely alternative magic systems to the standard system. I mostly used magic as powers, though I delved into realm magic a little.

What do you want to know about it?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:01 PM   #4
AlexanderHowl

Just curious about how you had Centrum/Homeline (or the Cabal) deal with significantly different forms of magic. Mana-based magic is relatively easy to detect (just have a mana-based magical item and, if it works, there is mana around). What happens when agents realize that they are dealing with a ddifferent form of magic after they were told that there was no magic?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:18 AM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

My version of Infinity doesn't understand magic well, so its not too surprising to them when it does things they don't expect. The basic reaction is to bug out and call the paranormal experts if its hostile, and if its not, they try to bring it home so it can be studied and understood. After they understand it better, then they'll return to the world. If a world has magic they don't understand they have teams trained for just such occasions (ISWAT being among them).

Infinity agents are well versed in dealing with the unexpected: its part of their job. Only a few kinds of magic really threaten the secret, and those kinds tend to be associated with mana. Or with psi. The other thing they tend to assume is that they're dealing with some sort of psi.

Its a big deal, but its also part of the job, and they don't go crazy. They just retire with haste and come back with experts.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:54 PM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

The secret isn't endangered by magic itself. It's endangered by information gathering abilities that may include magic, "psi", technology, superscience, deific, etc.