Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-19-2018, 05:50 PM   #21
starslayer

Default Re: Moving Planets with my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODSLAYER View Post
I think most people are missing the point of this question.

When you Afflict someone or something with an Advantage, you are giving them that advantage. Your own weight does not count against you when using Warp to Teleport.

So if you Afflict a car, or boat, asteroid or moon with Warp, how much it weighs shouldn't be a factor.

Now, the rules tell us that Size is a factor, giving a penalty to the Affliction roll equal to the Size Modifer.

Psionic Powers also has some custom modified advantages, where weight is a factor, but that's not the default.

That's how I am reading the rules. Tell me where I am wrong?
A planet is an object, if it needs to be assigned stats it has ST, DX, and IQ = 0; but more practically it cannot move itself: so if your not providing the basis for the carrying capacity, who is?

(This ignores the previous items of there is no super will and you don't get to afflict people by proxy 'for free').
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:30 PM   #22
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Right. So this power allows you to give the Earth the ability to teleport. It doesn't give you the ability to teleport the Earth. If you afflict someone with Military Rank that lets them give orders, it doesn't let you control what orders they give; if you afflict an enemy with Striker he still hits your friends, not his.

So you give the Earth the ability to teleport. The Earth, lacking a mind, does not decide to teleport. Nothing happens. If the Earth did have a mind it would teleport where it wanted, what where you wanted.
Thus, the proper use is the standard variety of advantage affliction which has warp as its example in the basic book (teleports the target instantly, rather than providing warp as an ability).

Exoteleport from Supers helps the overall cost.
As mentioned, the super-effort for will doesn’t help for the affliction opposed roll.

The best way to teleport Earth is to Not exoteleport it with affliction, and just teleport yourself with it and also include the Earth with you in your insane levels of lift from super effort will. Then there’s no affliction roll. Of course that means you can’t teleport the planet directly into the sun since you go with it. You’d have to just teleport it nearer to the sun and let gravity do its thing.

Last edited by Culture20; 08-19-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:31 PM   #23
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODSLAYER View Post
When you Afflict someone or something with an Advantage, you are giving them that advantage.
There are two forms of Afflicting Advantages.

(1) Give the subject the Advantage. This is much like you describe. It lets them use the ability at their own choosing, using their own stats and resources. This is not useful for a non-sentient object like a planet, as if it had the ability to Warp it's not going to choose to do so and can't make a skill roll. (If your setting has sentient, self-willed planets as characters, then have at it.) This form can't be used to teleport someone/thing else at all, much less against their will.

(2) Apply the effects of the Advantage to the target. This is how you teleport other objects, or turn other people invisible, and so on. You make any skill rolls and use your own resources to make that effect happen. The target can resist (it's a Malediction, after all), but they don't have to choose to have the effect happen.

At design time, when you build the ability, you choose one of these two forms for the ability to take. It can't be switched in play, on the fly. You could buy both of them, if that suits the concept, but the two forms are really different abilities.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:34 PM   #24
edk926

Remember that Earth, by planetary standards, is pretty small. There are plenty of solid planets that are multiple times the size of Earth. If you want true galaxy shaking powers, you'll need to aim much higher.
edk926 is offline   Reply With Quote