Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-03-2008, 09:33 AM   #111
mlangsdorf

Default Re: My adjusted Armor Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
I've found a bug in my GCA file. The modifier for Cloth armor is producing unexpected and wrong weights (negative numbers!)

Obviously I've done something wrong there. I'm working on fixing it.
In case you haven't yet, you need to multiply by *0.9 instead of -10%; it likes the first but not the second, go figure.

Also, the .gce file that removes the basic set armors also removes all the new armors that have the same names, at least on my machine. You might want to look into that.
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:55 AM   #112
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf
Also, the .gce file that removes the basic set armors also removes all the new armors that have the same names, at least on my machine. You might want to look into that.
You need to load it before the new file. I'll add some commands in the files so they'll warn people about it.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:20 AM   #113
Bruno

I've updated both GDFs - the Armor one now complains that it needs to be loaded after the RemoveArmor (and vice versa), and the Cloth Armor weight adjustment has been corrected (Thanks Mark!)

The updated files have been uploaded to my projects, care of the GCA Repository.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:24 PM   #114
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
I've updated both GDFs - the Armor one now complains that it needs to be loaded after the RemoveArmor (and vice versa), and the Cloth Armor weight adjustment has been corrected (Thanks Mark!)

The updated files have been uploaded to my projects, care of the GCA Repository.
That is an interesting page. Thinking about web sites as this, the one of Rev Kitty and Collective Restraint, Kmunoz animals & monsters PDF compilations, Gavynn files in his blog about GURPS LoTR..., I believe finally we are going to need a sort of GURPS-WebRing of resources!

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:03 PM   #115
Bruno

New update to the GDF: corrected "chain" to "mail" in the "Armor - Low Tech Gloves & Footwear", corrected spelling of the "Armor - Low Tech Gloves & Footware" category to "Armor - Low Tech Gloves & Footwear" >.>
Old 11-09-2008, 12:26 AM   #116
feydras

Why such a drastic change to the footwear section? Your imbedded, but now obsolete table in the first few posts had boots at 4# and sollerets at 7#. Your pdf version lists shoes and steel sollerets at 2# each with the former having DR 1 and the later DR 5. Then you've got boots with DR 2 at 3#. Is this accurate? I'm frightened to use this with my players as they will all buy the sollerets as a no brainer. My campaign is city based and this would look pretty stupid. I suppose i could enforce the LC 3 rating but really, what city guard is going to care if you've got metal feet? While i'm on the subject some nice steeltoe knee high boots would be a welcome addition to the table.

Similarly, your leather weights are far higher than GURPS and you're metal weights much lower. Is this realism based (i have no knowledge myself and so am not challenging you) or just a decision you made for gameplay?
Old 11-09-2008, 08:32 AM   #117
ArmoredSaint

Yes, it's accurate. Sollerets most emphatically do not weigh 7 pounds per pair, QED one or two threads earlier this year.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:13 AM   #118
Harald387

Quote:
Originally Posted by feydras
Why such a drastic change to the footwear section? Your imbedded, but now obsolete table in the first few posts had boots at 4# and sollerets at 7#. Your pdf version lists shoes and steel sollerets at 2# each with the former having DR 1 and the later DR 5. Then you've got boots with DR 2 at 3#. Is this accurate? I'm frightened to use this with my players as they will all buy the sollerets as a no brainer. My campaign is city based and this would look pretty stupid. I suppose i could enforce the LC 3 rating but really, what city guard is going to care if you've got metal feet? While i'm on the subject some nice steeltoe knee high boots would be a welcome addition to the table.

Similarly, your leather weights are far higher than GURPS and you're metal weights much lower. Is this realism based (i have no knowledge myself and so am not challenging you) or just a decision you made for gameplay?
The sollerets thing is definitely realism based, and the difference is 'a thin steel shoe provides great DR anyway, while a thick leather one still isn't that good'. If you're overly worried about your PCs having steel shoes (who aims for the feet anyway?) then enforce the LC.

The leather thing is also realism based. While light leather will provide very low DR, it takes a *LOT* more leather to get more stopping power, and that leather has to be treated and layered in ways that make it much heavier. There's a reason people went to steel, after all, instead of just layering on more dead animal.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:36 AM   #119
talonthehand

Quote:
*snip*

My campaign is city based and this would look pretty stupid. I suppose i could enforce the LC 3 rating but really, what city guard is going to care if you've got metal feet?

If they want metal shoes, let them, but it seems like it'd add a nice penalty to any stealth rolls they want to make.
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:23 AM   #120
Bruno

Quote:
Why such a drastic change to the footwear section? Your imbedded, but now obsolete table in the first few posts had boots at 4# and sollerets at 7#. Your pdf version lists shoes and steel sollerets at 2# each with the former having DR 1 and the later DR 5. Then you've got boots with DR 2 at 3#. Is this accurate?
Harald387 is correct - it's entirely accurate. The difference between the two is that the leather boots are made out of a substance that is, basically, worse for protecting yourself. Metal is expensive, but it's also very strong, by weight.

There's a reason why we don't armor tanks with leather - it's because leather sucks.

Quote:
I'm frightened to use this with my players as they will all buy the sollerets as a no brainer. My campaign is city based and this would look pretty stupid. I suppose i could enforce the LC 3 rating but really, what city guard is going to care if you've got metal feet?
You really really really should understand sumptuary law. In a medieval society, you could get imprisoned or flogged for wearing the wrong shade of red, and god help you if you wore the wrong type of fur trim on your coat.

The plate armor is LC 3 because it's military technology with no good civilian application. It's also a status symbol. I'd expect characters wearing solerets to get beat up periodically for looking like idiots, AND for trying to dress above their stations in life.

Unless they're actually Status 2 or Status 3 knights, at which point they're allowed to wear it, but if they're just wearing solerets and not the rest of the armor, they'll still look stupid, they're still going to get VERY sore feet, and their peers may mock them or challenge them to duels.

Which brings up another point - solerets are not metal boots. They're armor. In anything other than an abstracted Dungeon Fantasy game, I would cheerfully pick on players that try to hike cross country in them. They're meant primarily for mounted cavalry and the battlefield - where you care more about protection than comfort, but come from a class where you don't expect to stand around on your feet waiting for the fight to come to you.

Tags
armor