Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-13-2018, 07:55 PM   #1
RafaelLVX

Default Flags from Ytarria

Is there an official and current source for flags of the realms of Ytarria?

I used to own the brazillian GURPS Fantasy (3e) and it had this color map which I believe might have had flags for each realm, not sure though, also that book is terribly hard to acquire now.
RafaelLVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:40 AM   #2
ravenfish

Default Re: Flags from Ytarria

Aren't national flags (as opposed to personal banners of the ruler and/or his family) really a post-medieval concept? Which is not to say the idea couldn't have been Banestormed in, of course, merely that it is equally possible that they never caught on.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:10 AM   #3
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
Aren't national flags (as opposed to personal banners of the ruler and/or his family) really a post-medieval concept? Which is not to say the idea couldn't have been Banestormed in, of course, merely that it is equally possible that they never caught on.
Nations (as opposed to the territorial possessions of the ruler and/or his family) are a post-medieval concept too. But yeah, national flags 16th century or so, and serve a similar role as the heraldic banners - they're a product of the age of sail, for identifying the nationality of ships from hopefully outside of cannon range, so you know which ones not to shoot at in this fight.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:38 AM   #4
RafaelLVX

It could be flags, banners, standarts, anything I could use as a flag.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:12 PM   #5
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
It's been 400 years since the medieval period and it really does seem to have nations in a more modern concept. I suspect all it would take is a bit of contact with the concept from Earth, if for some reason the people of Yrth were incapable of making the same advancement of badges and banners to flags as was done on Earth. Flags are handy.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:41 PM   #6
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelLVX View Post
Is there an official and current source for flags of the realms of Ytarria?
Not that I know of.

Assuming that heraldic arms = national symbols (or at least the symbols of the ruler or ruling family) and that they are unchanged when used as heraldic banners, then the coats of arms shown on the map in GURPS Fantasy 1E are national symbols.

I'm not sure what fair use is regarding publishing images from books is, but the heraldic blazons are:

Zarak - Argent (White), a sledgehammer and miner's pick in saltire (i.e., crossed with the hammer facing to the right, the pick to the left) proper (i.e., in their natural colors - steel gray).

Caithness - Per Chevron (i.e., shield divided like ^), Vert (green) and Argent, two cranes statant in their vigilance respectant (i.e., standing facing each other, each with one leg raised holding a rock in its claw, in the upper part of the shield) Argent and a thistle couped proper (i.e., purple flower, green leaves, cut off just below the leaves).

Al-Haz - Azure (blue), a crescent fesswise sinister Or (i.e., gold crescent with its points facing to the right)

Al-Wazif - Gules (red), in pale (i.e., from top to bottom) a crescent fesswise sinister and an oil lamp Or (i.e., gold "Ali Baba" type oil lamp at the bottom)

Cardiel - Quarterly (i.e., divided into even quarters) Purpure (purple) and Ermine (white with black "ermine spots"), two crescents bendwise Argent (i.e., one crescent with the horns facing upwards on each of the two purple quarters of the shield).

Megalos - Or, a winged dragon passant sable (i.e., gold field, black dragon with wings walking across it head facing to the left).

Sahud - On a roundel Argent, a Chinese pine tree of three tiers proper. (i.e., white circle with a stylized Chinese pine on it.)

You can use these blazons with one of the online heraldry programs to get proper emblazons (i.e., pictures generated from the description).

Hope that helps, and despite my screen name, the first time in 20 years that I've actually used heraldry!

Last edited by Pursuivant; 08-15-2018 at 12:27 AM.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:04 PM   #7
RafaelLVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Not that I know of.

Assuming that heraldic arms = national symbols (or at least the symbols of the ruler or ruling family) and that they are unchanged when used as heraldic banners, then the coats of arms shown on the map in GURPS Fantasy 1E are national symbols.

I'm not sure what fair use is regarding publishing images from books is, but the heraldic blazons are:

Zarak - Argent (White), a sledgehammer and miner's pick in saltire (i.e., crossed with the hammer facing to the right, the pick to the left) proper (i.e., in their natural colors - steel gray).

Caithness - Per Chevron (i.e., shield divided like ^), Vert (green) and Argent, two cranes statant in their vigilance respectant (i.e., standing facing each other, each with one leg raised holding a rock in its claw, in the upper part of the shield) Argent and a thistle couped proper (i.e., purple flower, green leaves, cut off just below the leaves).

Al-Haz - Azure (blue), a crescent fesswise sinister Or (i.e., gold crescent with its points facing to the right)

Al-Wazif - Gules (red), in pale (i.e., from top to bottom) a crescent fesswise sinister and an oil lamp Or (i.e., gold "Ali Baba" type oil lamp at the bottom)

Cardiel - Quarterly (i.e., divided into even quarters) Purpure (purple) and Ermine (white with black "ermine spots"), two crescents bendwise Argent (i.e., one crescent with the horns facing upwards on each of the two purple quarters of the shield).

Megalos - Or, a winged dragon passant sable (i.e., gold field, black dragon with wings walking across it head facing to the left).

Sahud - On a roundel Argent, a Chinese pine tree of three tiers proper. (i.e., white circle with a stylized Chinese pine on it.)

You can use these blazons with one of the online heraldry programs to get proper emblazons (i.e., pictures generated from the description).

Hope that helps, and despite my screen name, the first time in 20 years that I've actually used heraldry!
A shame I don't have that book anymore, but you were already very helpful. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:09 PM   #8
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelLVX View Post
A shame I don't have that book anymore, but you were already very helpful. Thanks.
The Second Edition of GURPS 3E Fantasy had line art versions of all or most of the arms of Ytarria which could easily be enlarged and colored in a graphic design program.

For example, the arms of Cardiel (sort of):

https://drawshield.net/create/index....inister%20base
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote