Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Quick Question: How does Appearance/Social Stigma work with monsters?

By definition, it seems to me that Appearance is really only supposed to count for members of your same or similar races. But what about monsters? Some of them are truly ugly or grotesque, and some not, but we still react to them as if they are. While they may not necessarily give off an aura of terror, everyone knows that the thing over there is a demon and to run away. But demons aren't necessarily freaked out by other ugly demons. It almost feels like a Social Stigma to me, but I'm not sure if that's what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

EDIT: Wow, I totally forgot about Social Stigma (Monster). I'm gonna go have my coffee now. Something didn't wake up this morning.

Last edited by Raekai; 08-12-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Quick Question: How does Appearance/Social Stigma work with monsters?

Appearance normally affects either your/similar species, or the dominant species of the setting.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
cosmicfish

Default Re: Quick Question: How does Appearance/Social Stigma work with monsters?

I could see a frequency modifier to Appearance, similar to Reputation, but it does not currently exist in RAW to the best of my knowledge. Perhaps it should.
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
Not

If you want to be equally ugly to humans as to demons, there's a Universal modifier, so Ugly would go from -8 to -10. If you want to be differentially unattractive to various species, work out some weighted average according to frequency of encounter [not supported by the rules to my knowledge]. Or just take a few quirks and save time.
Not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Appearance normally affects either your/similar species, or the dominant species of the setting.
Though I'd suggest what it really means there is aesthetics, not species. Both humans* who align to a very different model and quite alien things that buy right into the general model are entirely reasonable.

*or other dominant entity-type
Old 08-13-2013, 05:37 AM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Though I'd suggest what it really means there is aesthetics, not species. Both humans* who align to a very different model and quite alien things that buy right into the general model are entirely reasonable.

*or other dominant entity-type
I'm pretty sure hot in the body piercing circus community is not quite the same as hardcore Saudi Arabian aesthetic. ;)

Tags
appearance, demon, demons, monsters, social stigma