Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 04-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #11
MunchkinMan

Default Re: "Help Me Out Here" card

The whole point is that you must be able to use the Item, since the card mentions that the Item must make the difference between winning and losing. It allows you to get rid of an Item that is "in the way," but that does not imply that you can use an Item you couldn't normally use because of Race, Class, or gender restrictions.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #12
Morgul_Maggot

Am I correct in assuming, then, that the aforementioned item could still be played IF there was a CHEAT card?
Old 04-20-2013, 08:04 PM   #13
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgul_Maggot View Post
Am I correct in assuming, then, that the aforementioned item could still be played IF there was a CHEAT card?
That's a no. If the other player has the Item already Cheat!ed, then Cheat! is discarded if you take theItem as that is what Cheat! says happens when the card it is attached to is lost. You would only be able to take said Item if you met the requirements.

If you have a Cheat! card in your own hand, then perhaps you could take that Item, though. It has been ruled previously that you can take the Kneepads of Allure with Help Me Out Here! if there is somebody that you could immediately compel to help you out and make it so you are winning. Thus, if you can show you have a Cheat! card to immediately play on the Item, that seems to be the same situation as for Kneepads of Allure.

This special case is not exactly the same, though, as it does involve playing a card (whereas the Kneepads only involve using a card). I may be overruled on it, but I hope I've made a good enough case...
Old 04-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #14
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

I'm ruling that no, an Item that must be Cheated to be usable cannot be taken with HMOH. I'm also declaring that ruling provisional until I have a chance to confer with Erik about it.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #15
Clipper

Thanks for the ruling Andrew. I just found another where Erik said the same thing via a Google search (forum search isn't that useful to find HMOH related stuff).

Oh well, it was worth a try! The difference is clear, in that it must be the card itself, and your existing tableau, that is enough to make you start winning the combat.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:55 PM   #16
anthooony

Can the player take One Shot Items with the Help Me Out Here card?
anthooony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:32 AM   #17
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthooony View Post
Can the player take One Shot Items with the Help Me Out Here card?
Yes, you can take a One-Shot Item that another player is carrying, provided you are losing the combat and that using that Item would put you into a winning position.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:00 AM   #18
anthooony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
Yes, you can take a One-Shot Item that another player is carrying, provided you are losing the combat and that using that Item would put you into a winning position.
Awesome, thanks! One more thing: Say that Player A uses the "Help Me Out!" Card and takes an item from Player B which puts him in the winning position. However, Player B then throws another Monster at Player A, causing him to lose the combat. What happens in result of the "Help Me Out!" Card? Does it fulfill the role of winning or lose the battle?

Last edited by anthooony; 08-20-2013 at 02:07 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:29 AM   #19
MunchkinMan

At the time Help Me Out Here is played is the only time that it matters. Its effect was applied, it was discarded. The player now owns the Item, and it can't be taken away just because the combat changed to some other condition. You can't easily overturn an immediate effect in Munchkin, and usually all you can do is cancel one as it is happening, assuming you have the card to do it.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #20
anthooony

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
At the time Help Me Out Here is played is the only time that it matters. Its effect was applied, it was discarded. The player now owns the Item, and it can't be taken away just because the combat changed to some other condition. You can't easily overturn an immediate effect in Munchkin, and usually all you can do is cancel one as it is happening, assuming you have the card to do it.
Oh ok. Cool, thank you!!!