Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-28-2019, 06:12 PM   #31
Kfireblade

Default Re: Reality Check: guns (lmg) and Gunner (mg)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
There's at least as much reason to differentiate Guns from Gunner as there is Guns(SMG), Guns(Rifle), and Guns(Shotgun).

Personally, I'd have made Guns(Shoulder Arms) and Guns(Handgun). Any deviation by type are Techniques at most, familiarity penalties possibly.

I have fired bolt action rifles, semi-auto rifles, and a few times a SMG (a semi-auto Thompson, and a full-auto MP5). You shoot 'em pretty much the same way, although this could be because my skill, while not LOW, isn't high enough to make a difference. Shotguns vs rifles ARE fired differently, at least with shot. As the person who taught me shotguns said, "you don't AIM a shotgun, you POINT a shotgun." There could be a -1 or -2 default here, improvable by Technique.

If you're putting the weapon to your shoulder and firing down the barrel using sights, rather than traverse and elevation controls and a rear grip, I'd say a good case for Guns rather than gunner exists.
going by this would Guns(launchers) also be appropriate?
Kfireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 08:10 PM   #32
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
Well, to be honest I was gonna say; ANYTHING is hip-fired, it's just a question of ST.
https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/...lustration.jpg
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:27 AM   #33
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfireblade View Post
going by this would Guns(launchers) also be appropriate?
Likely. anything where the manual of arms has you doing different body motions. For example, shooting gunner from a mount, you move your hands DOWN to shoot UP; you move left to shoot right.

A rifle, you want to shoot right, you twist right. You don't move your bottom hand left so your rifle pivots around your front-arm grip on the fore-end.

So I'd probably say "if you need different physical muscle memory, make it a different skill. If not, not."

(note that this, in my limited experience, carries over to melee. I use a war axe and a sword with mostly the same motions, though axes are indubitably cooler. Just sayin'.)
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:59 AM   #34
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
The simplest thing is to say that Gunner (MG) and Guns (LMG) have a close default. Somehow, we overlooked this . . . but I don't think it's especially unfair to use -2. . .
For anyone finding this thread in later years, that default was published on p. 42 of GURPS Tactical Shooting.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 03:03 AM   #35
JoelSammallahti

I think you guys should get some kind of medal for resurrecting a thread from over 10 years ago like nothing happened.
JoelSammallahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:05 AM   #36
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelSammallahti View Post
I think you guys should get some kind of medal for resurrecting a thread from over 10 years ago like nothing happened.
The OP is a mate of mine. The next time I see him, I'm going to tell him that this dead horse just got up and shook it's mane. I'm sure he'll be thoroughly amused.

Tags
gunner, guns