Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #1
PseudoFenton

Default [Supers] "Forgettable" Power Build Help?

I'm going to be starting a supers game soon, and one of the powers I'm trying to build has me a little stumped in how to make it. I want the super to be easily forgotten, this would be a super power (psi based likely) which is passively on (it's meant to have been on most of their life without them realising).

The goal is to have the person be all but forgotten when they are not around, and have details concerning them hard to recall in general. Here are a few key examples of how this would manifest:
  • Plans directly concerning them easily slip the mind or miss the "who" part where it involves them - so someone might remember they planned to meet someone at the park at noon, but wont remember that its the super they planned to meet.
  • Anything written about them tend to be thought of as being about other people (as the reader fails to remember the right person as to whom it was written about). Photos of them also fall under this effect in that its hard to match the face with the person, often just stirring vague recognition and not much else.
  • Its all but impossible to remember what they were wearing when you saw them last, or what they look like if you're not looking at them. You could bump into them on the street and forget you had done so a few seconds later.
  • They should generally be perceived as a totally new person every time they order a drink at a pub so long as they've not done anything that has specifically drawn attention to them. And even their boss would have trouble remember their name or what they did if they kept their head down at work. Conversations with them that are interrupted would always be forgotten about and not continued unless prompted, and even then they'd only have a rough idea of what was being discussed.

Of cause repeated intimate/noteworthy exposure to them or active effort in attempting to remember them should lessen these effects somewhat, so while they're actually around and interacting with you its not hard to remember them.
In effect they only exist in other peoples short-term memory and in a vague tip-of-the-tongue sense the rest of the time. The Forgettable Face perk is clearly a must for this power, but in and of itself its too weak, I need a full powered version of this which extends to things related to them as well as their appearance.

It'd no doubt require will saves or similar for those affected, with modifiers for how well they know them or are actively trying to remember etc. But I have no idea how to build all of this, it seems like it might be some heavily enhanced/limited version of Mind Control (with Suggestion Only?), Zeroed, Obscure/Invisibility or perhaps Affliction. Probably with Cosmic and some sort of inverted Sense Based aspect so it applies when they're not seen/drawing attention to themselves.

So, any ideas of how this should be built? Thanks for any help!
PseudoFenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:23 AM   #2
aesir23

Default Re: [Supers] "Forgettable" Power Build Help?

I'd go with a combination of things:

Zeroed w/ Glamour would cover people thinking that written records are about someone else (resistable by will).

Obscure w/ Defensive and No Signature would cover being unnoticed or overlooked. Chemilion and Invisiblity would be heavily discounted, I think, but would have the same effect.

Perhaps something like Affliction (Delusion (I've never met this guy before) with Always On and Area Effect.

As you mentioned Mind Control (Uncontrollable, Always On, Area Effect, Suggestion only, Only one suggestion (forget all about me) would probably do the trick in combination with some of the abilities listed above.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: [Supers] "Forgettable" Power Build Help?

I knew I remembered something very much like this coming up before. The Always Forgotten... thread from a few years ago might give you some ideas. I seem to recall more related threads as well, but couldn't find them with a quick search :/
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forgettable, memory, power, supers